Sign in to follow this  
stelmackr

Sewing Fur

I've acquired a Washington State Fur Trapping License and joined a local Fur Trapping group and now have access to local fur.  My walking foot sewing machines (Ferdco 206 and Ferdco 1245) are not suitable to edge sew panels of fur together to form clothing or accessories.  I've researched specialized chain stitch sewing machines for sewing and would like some comments or suggestions.  There seems to be a very limited number of current manufactures and seem to be specialized to specific types of leather fur (coyote, raccoon, etc).  Since I am new to this, I would appreciate and experience or places to find more practical sewing machine information.

Sorry for the question.  I found some references by searching for "sewing fur". Without the search with both words together, I got too many unrelated entries.  I'll look them over and see if there is the information I need in them.

BTW, I need to change my signature, I'm back to "Former Editor, RawHide Gazette,  25 years of doing it was enough...

I have a few extra Bonis machines for sewing fur complete with table if you’re interested.

They were the most popular models in the fur district in NY

On 1/26/2020 at 8:47 PM, Nikos69 said:

I have a few extra Bonis machines for sewing fur complete with table if you’re interested. <<<snip>>>

Thank you for the offer of Bonis fur sewing machines.  I think, after viewing several videos and reading others comments, that I will start making small items and hand sew to get the assembly process and see if I really need a sewing machine.  I know me and I get into new projects and wind up not pursuing them as I initially envisioned after spending too much money.

No problem. If the time comes and you need to upgrade to a machine, or if you're in the NJ area, you can come by my shop and I can show you how some tips and tricks for sewing fur.

Nick