katit

Perforating upholstery leather - DIY

Not sure if it's possible (I am sure it is) to DIY perforation? See pic of upholstery leather. I found very good color match but need it to be perforated (ideally)

This going to be used on a steering wheel. Not much needed, so even if it's manual labor I'm OK with it, just need to know how it's done. Tool, technique, etc.

IMG_1444.jpg

2 hours ago, katit said:

just need to know how it's done

I know this is a reach... but you might consider perforating it with a laser cutter, that is, if one is available. 

I actually look at it closely and it doesn’t look like perforation, more like indentations, not all way through 

a punch and a straight edge. offset each row by half of the distance of your spacing,

To perforate the leather all the way through  would weaken the leather, and perhaps tear along the perforations , just a thought . 

HS 

Since it's upholstery leather and you only need a small amount I would print off a pattern (lots of ways to make custom sized dot grids) and attach it to the leather with a temporary spray glue, like spraymount. Then punch the holes with a small drive punch and peel off the paper. If you're wrapping it around a relatively small diameter that curves in three directions (a steering wheel) any small irregularities wouldn't be very noticeable.