Merrie

Vintage Singer 29K differences

I need to know the individual differences of Vintage Singer 29K. Sewing Machines. What a Singer 29-58 in excellent condition would be worth?

A lot is going to depend on what part of the world your in.

kgg

I am sure someone from that area can guide you as what price can be expected to be paid for a Singer 29k-58. Prices can be all over the place from a couple of hundred to plus $1000.

kgg

I think to get the differences between a 58 and 72 you may be better to post this question in the sewing machine section. I have had both but that was quite some time ago and both were quite good in use. I think there was a difference in the thread take up knob adjustment section but the 72 may have had a larger bobbin capacity. I seem to recall the 58 was a little smaller around the arm and a little better for tight spots. @Constabulary is one person I think may know better than me.

The 29K58 is very close to the 29K71 which is one of the latest models in the 29K series. Only differences I recall is the spring for the thread take up lever is attached with a plain screw whereas the 29K71 has a thumb nut and the 29K58 may come either with the new or old style thread take up lever regulator (I have seen both on a 29K58). Some 29K58 only have the hand wheel on the right end  but I also have seen them with a front wheel (front wheel drive requires extra parts like gears, hub, shaft and so forth). However machine could have been upgraded with parts over the years - you never know. The front wheel machines often cost a bit more because they are a bit more flexible to use - depends on how you want to operate the machine.

Confusing - yes it is! 29K´s came in a lot of variants / subclasses. Basically you can say the higher the subclass number the better the parts situation.

The price depends on how badly you need a machine like this and if it suits your needs as well as the condition, the accessories it comes with (treadle stand or motor driven with industrial table, extra hooks, spare parts...)  and of course the local market so I agree with kgg.

EDIT:

And most important - the stitch length matters. The more worn a 29K machine is the shorter becomes the stitch length. Even when set to the longest stitch it sometimes can be just ~ 3mm or even less. Usually the max. stitch length should range between 4.5 to 5 mm Stitch length when in technical good / very good condition. 5mm is rare on a used machine but can be achieved when you replace parts and machines is properly adjusted.

Edited by Constabulary

That list is nice but just scratches the surface of differences between the vast number of 29 / 29K subclasses.There is a lot more than that. There are different gear boxes, pinions, racks, thread lever adjusters, needle plates and so forth....

Do not expect that ALL 29K parts are interchangeable between the subclasses - some are but the majority of parts are not - especially wear parts.