buffalorain

Cowboy Outlaw Manual Sewing Machine

Anyone purchase this machine? Any end user reviews?

I am considering buying one of these machines. I have seen several videos produced by sellers but haven’t seen any by actual users. How does the Outlaw compare to the Tippmann? Any comments are appreciated!

A5378EF3-B907-4B13-BA38-114E7973B7FD.jpeg

Seen all that I could find already posted. Looks stale. No end user reviews yet. Makes me wonder if the Outlaw is not selling or is having problems.

There is a long thread on here that started when the Outlaw was announced and periodically updated but I don't remember any end users contributing.  Honestly as a former Tippmann Boss user I would save the extra and get a motorized machine.  Only having one hand to hold your leather when sewing is a bigger deal than it seems.  I have sewn numerous items on my CB4500 that I wouldn't have even tried on the Boss.

Todd

Bought a Cowboy Outlaw manual sewing machine today from Ryan Neel. Should receive it in next few days. Once I get familiar with it I will do a user review. Lots of You Tube videos on the Cowboy Outlaw but they are all produced by the seller. User reviews on this new manual sewing machine are badly needed to help buyers compare the Tippmann Boss to the Cowboy Outlaw.

I split the discussion about the Weaver Cub into its own topic. Any further input about the Weaver machine should go into the new topic. This thread is specifically about the Cowboy Outlaw manual sewing machine. If anybody wants to discuss a different brand, start a new topic.

My Cowboy Outlaw is expected to arrive this Wednesday (02/05/20). Once I crank out a few hundred stitches or so I'll do my first impressions. Now that there are 3 main contenders in the manuals, end user feedback is sorely needed on this machine so everyone can figure out which manual machine is best fit for their needs. Stay tuned!

Just curious if portability is a requirement for you or maybe a need for use at venues where power may not always be readily available?      

I recently got a 4500 machine & leather working is pretty much a hobby for me but now,  after having sewn a good many gun belts & bags, I imagine my interest and arm would've petered out a while ago if Id had to hand crank every one of those thousands of stitches.  

Considering the recent offerings of available models, it would seem the market competitors assume there is consumer demand, but I have to wonder, with such little to no end user feedback, how well the manual machines are actually selling. 

Just out of interest, how long could you run say a 441or any industrial leather machine, using say a 90 amp leisure battery and converter as that would seem a good way to attend shows rather than plod on with a hand powered machine, unless you do live out in the sticks without any power

@chrisash having picked up and set up a CB 4500 I am not sure how practical taking any of the 441 clones to use at shows is. Trying to physically get one to and from shows without damaging the machine or your body would be a monumental task. 

16 hours ago, Rodzhobyz said:

Just curious if portability is a requirement for you or maybe a need for use at venues where power may not always be readily available?      

I recently got a 4500 machine & leather working is pretty much a hobby for me but now,  after having sewn a good many gun belts & bags, I imagine my interest and arm would've petered out a while ago if Id had to hand crank every one of those thousands of stitches.  

Considering the recent offerings of available models, it would seem the market competitors assume there is consumer demand, but I have to wonder, with such little to no end user feedback, how well the manual machines are actually selling. 

I think the manual machines are more popular than is evidenced by the posts in this forum. In talking with a knowledgeable Tandy store employee, the Tippmann Boss sold well in their local store. Especially when compared to their offerings of entry level power machines. However, Tandy is ending their relationship with Tippmann and now has the remaining inventory on close out at a good price of $1350. I am told removing the Tippmann Boss is not because of a poor showing in sales but because of contractual issues. I have also been told (and confirmed) that Tandy is replacing the Boss with the Cowboy Outlaw. I predict their sales will do better with the Outlaw. For one reason, the Outlaw looks like a traditional sewing machine. Also, it is being manufactured by the same sources who build the big husky Cowboy machines. I don’t see portability being a big driver of sales. But, there are thousands of leather craft hobbyists and low volume crafters out there who see the manual machines as a big step up from hand stitching. Manual machines are an easy way for an emerging limited experienced leather crafter sewer to take a significant step forward in improving productivity. They are less intimidating and have a faster learning curve. And the prices around $1300 make that step forward easier to swallow. 

Edited by buffalorain

I concur, Hildebrand, for most people lugging a 441 clone around is not going to be practical. You'll eventually break either the machine or your body!!

A 3200 with a handle fitted to the flywheel might work, however (I don't know the weight difference).

I have read a couple of comments from users of the Outlaw/Tippman  machines and they said the main drawback was doing long stitching runs, as in belts. Pulling that handle down got tiring real fast.

I am very interested in your review and concur there is a need.  One person has commented on this forum that he has used the outlaw and been pleased with the results, much more so than his Tippman.  I ordered one Saturday and am anxiously awaiting a box on my porch too.

I researched and purchased the Cowboy outlaw a couple weeks ago.  I do a lot of venues with no power and making sheaths for blades by hand is a pain.  Here is my review:

1. It is a solidly built machine.  Cast steel and heavy brass, nothing lightweight about it.

2. The learning curve is not so steep that a non sewing, non leather worker couldn't figure it out.

3. It is temperamental if you are not aggressive on the up and down of the handle.   100% range of motion, anything less and you WILL get a jam.

4. The jams are easy to clear up.

5. There was no owners manual (at least with mine).  But it was not to hard to figure out with YouTube and a little mechanical knowledge.

6.  I have stitched almost 3/4 of an inch of leather together (three layers of 8-10 oz and a 8 oz canvas) with no problem (once I mastered point #3)

7. If you want to see the machine look on FB at TDY Blacksmith.

Hope this helps.