Sign in to follow this  
T Moore Medicine Hat Saddlery

How to soften up very hard dry leather

After cleaning surface, see if you can rehydrate by wrapping, covering w/ wet to be kept wet towels and rags. Will take more than a little while. If successful rehydrated will soak up oils.

It could be past the point of no return. . .that does happen.  Other possibility is that it was poor leather to start with.  Both of those scenarios mean that no matter how much or what product you throw at it, it isn't going to change.  I have the best luck with soaking the parts in water to clean them and allow me to take the curl out as they dry, and brush oil on when they are close to being dry.  If this doesn't get them, in my experience, nothing will.

Hi there, I agree with the previous answers i am assuming you mean neats foot oil if, so correct me if you are already doing this,  but are you slightly heating the neats foot oil up a bit to around tepid or maybe slightly more it will help it penetrate the fibres better?

Hope this helps

JCUK   

a suggestion, extreme measure - have you tried steaming it?

get it into a sauna type place, let it steam for a while and whilst in there apply nfo by the sponge full

I use to do this with my motorcycle boots about once every spring to soften them up after the wetting and salting they got over the winter months, although I used leather feed and olive oil

Edited by fredk