councilman24

Transporting American Straight needle.

Question is can an American Straight needle come apart easily for transport or does it need to move as one piece? Have trailer to move it intact and upright but hope a can make it a couple of pieces.

Thanks.

I would avoid removing the head from the base.  I've moved one several times, and I always removed the thread rack, took the needle, awl, and bobbin case out, and  laid it down on it's back.  You need to block it and tie it down because if you stop hard or take off fast, it can roll.  I was told by legendary machinery guru Keith Pommer to never haul them upright because they are so top heavy that no matter how well you tie it down, it can still tip over.  I would think if you had a flatbed pickup with a headache rack, you might be able to secure it upright to that well enough, but I usually listened to Keith, since he made his living for 40 years trading machinery.  I split a Landis curved needle to transport, and I am regretting it.

5 hours ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

I would avoid removing the head from the base.  I've moved one several times, and I always removed the thread rack, took the needle, awl, and bobbin case out, and  laid it down on it's back.  You need to block it and tie it down because if you stop hard or take off fast, it can roll.  I was told by legendary machinery guru Keith Pommer to never haul them upright because they are so top heavy that no matter how well you tie it down, it can still tip over.  I would think if you had a flatbed pickup with a headache rack, you might be able to secure it upright to that well enough, but I usually listened to Keith, since he made his living for 40 years trading machinery.  I split a Landis curved needle to transport, and I am regretting it.

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't likely have considered laying it down. I've hauled a gun safe in the middle of my trailer. I tie a net/cap with 4000lb webbing.and use 4 heavy ratchet straps. Key is having it in the middle so even length on all straps. But if I think I can manage to get it down and up I try that. I worry about stress bolts somewhere.

I hauled one about forty miles standing up in the back of a pickup. It do haul it standing up drive pretty slow and try to miss every bump. It was nerve racking till I got in my shop.