LeatherinCornwall

Sewing external bag seams?

1 hour ago, LeatherinCornwall said:

At $375 plus shipping that 4-piece set is a bit out of my reach at the moment for occasional use.  Though I may make a set from standard cheaper parts.  Amazing what one can do with  a mig welder and a right angle grinder.

My new roller guide like yours above hasn't shipped yet, being Chinese New Year plus Corona delay...

Yeah the ones we are working on should be about 1/2 that for the dog foot and needle plate set.  I should have some samples and and pictures pretty soon now.

I’m a long time lurker and haven’t posted here before.   If I understand what you are looking for, then Maybe....

Maybe the solution is a different needle?  You could get that hand-stitched look with the right needle tip.  
As an example, I’ve attached a technical marketing bulletin from Groz-Beckert, a needle manufacturer.  Perhaps a different needle would get your intended result.  I have no idea if these are available to fit any particular machine.  I enjoy the technical aspect of sewing and leather craft, maybe more than the creation part of it.   Or maybe I’m just stupid.  Hope this helps. 

Randy in Tulsa

EDIT: Going through this thread again, now I’m not sure this is what you are asking.  Back under my rock.  

BRO_SMN_15_EN_01_20130703_150.pdf

Edited by Tulsa

Welcome @Tulsa and thanks for your input. Anybody offering advise to help in any way on LW should never ever be considered stupid. The fact that you're here looking says you gettin smarter.;)

Tulsa, wow interesting. Who would've thought a needle makes THAT much difference?

On the example videos, yeah  watched the one, it's a sew and flip inside out type. The Diresta one is new to me, looks like what I need, thanks.

Aha watched it, that's exactly how I made the wife's overnight bag, with the overlapped riveted piece at the ends of the opening.  Works great.  I guess the edge sewing issue is just a training and practice thing.

Edited by LeatherinCornwall

11 hours ago, Tulsa said:

I’m a long time lurker and haven’t posted here before.   If I understand what you are looking for, then Maybe....

Maybe the solution is a different needle?  You could get that hand-stitched look with the right needle tip.  
As an example, I’ve attached a technical marketing bulletin from Groz-Beckert, a needle manufacturer.  Perhaps a different needle would get your intended result.  I have no idea if these are available to fit any particular machine.  I enjoy the technical aspect of sewing and leather craft, maybe more than the creation part of it.   Or maybe I’m just stupid.  Hope this helps. 

Randy in Tulsa

EDIT: Going through this thread again, now I’m not sure this is what you are asking.  Back under my rock.  

BRO_SMN_15_EN_01_20130703_150.pdf

Here's the similar product sheet for Schmetz needles...which is what I have. Mine are old stock and don't indicate beyond 794, which they are, i.e.  DI, S. etc. They are NOS from 1998, so I have no clue which they are. But the stitches I am getting are nice and straight, so I guess they're what I wanted if I can just sew in a straight line :-) 

leather-needles.pdf

Edited by LeatherinCornwall

I keep thinking about that flat edge guide, and feel it still wouldn't work well with really soft leather. I'd think an edge with a flat top which covers over the top of the material an inch or 2, to keep it from bending up, would be just the ticket.