Sign in to follow this  
Nert

Chrome tanned leather and engraving

Hello, i have a question about engraving chrome tanned leather. I live in Poland EU and our regulation about chrome tanned leather are quite restricted and they cannot have more than 3mg/kg chrome in leather. But anyway i am afraid about toxicity of this materials, so i wanna ask you, how do handle with this, what about ventilation and another security measures for that purpose. I heard about filters, that reduce all kind of toxicity about 99,9% and not only from leather, but also acrylic, PVC and that kind of stuff. I don't engrave much, maybe 9 hours a week.

Regards

PS. I am talking about laser engraving :)

Edited by Nert

Just now, LatigoAmigo said:

What are you engraving with? Are you referring to laser engraving?

Yes, only engraving, no cutting

14 minutes ago, Nert said:

only engraving, no cutting

I use a 100 watt CO2 laser to engrave and cut chrome tanned leather. To limit exposure to the toxicity I've read about, I've installed an inline HEPA filtration system that vents to the outdoors, plus work in a well ventilated space. So far, so good.

For what it's worth, a print shop near here has a Purex fume extraction system that vents indoors, and that seems like the ultimate, although expensive solution.

fam1165_1.jpg

I understand using laser of chrome gives off cyanide gas so not recommended

5 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I've read that also, but with proper ventilation, have had no adverse effects, although I only do it a few hours per month at the most. 

19 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I've never felt it, and I know how hydrogen cyanide stinks. The worst thing I've ever smelled was cutting PVC and I don't do that anymore.

16 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I've read that also, but with proper ventilation, have had no adverse effects, although I only do it a few hours per month at the most.  

Can you show me your filter ? :)

Because in my country i can only buy a big filters boxex like this

odciag-wyciag-spalin-filtr-do-lasera-co2

Edited by Nert

Another factor to consider when cutting some materials that are less desirable (like chrome tan leather, PVC, polycarbonate etc) is the gas given off can coat the lens. This coating will etch the surface thereby reducing the effectiveness of the machine. This coating  and the damage will require the replacement of the lens.

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

Another factor to consider when cutting some materials that are less desirable (like chrome tan leather, PVC, polycarbonate etc) is the gas given off can coat the lens. This coating will etch the surface thereby reducing the effectiveness of the machine. This coating  and the damage will require the replacement of the lens.

Yeap i know it :) but i dont cut it, Just engrave some letters and numbers 

2 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Sure...

IMG_8087-2.gif

IMG_8089-2.gif

IMG_8088-2.gif

Thank you :) 

3 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

This has not been my experience when cutting leather.

My laser cutter has an air assist pump that forces fresh air through the nozzle when in operation, and a ventilation system that removes the smoke from the cutting area. The lens is located 2+ inches away, up inside of the laser head, much removed from the surface of the material being cut. None of the smoke I make from cutting leather reaches the lens, and I have never encountered the issue of etched lenses. I'm only speaking about leather (chrome-tanned and otherwise), as I can't speak to PVC or poly-carbonates related issues.