Sign in to follow this  
sinpac

Start of another Clutch wallet

This is a resized Chan Geer design. If I ever master floral design drawing I'll be winning. I am not to bad on the flowers it the vine and transitions drawing that is challenging. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Chris

DSCN0149.JPG

That flower is turning out really well, and I like the decorative cuts!  most difficult part for me...

YinTx

Just now, YinTx said:

That flower is turning out really well, and I like the decorative cuts!  most difficult part for me...

YinTx

Yes I struggle a bit on the left angle decorative cut and I am left handed. LOL

Lookin' good. You tool different 'n' me (I don't background til everything else is done).  I've done that design before, lookin' at this I think I mighta done it upside down :blush:

10 hours ago, JLSleather said:

(I don't background til everything else is done)

I know it's doesn't follow standard protocol. I do have it under glass, but I never know when I will get pulled away. I don't want to keep rewetting the leather and lose the burnish. I read somewhere guys put their project in a zip lock bag and stick it in the fridge. I have never done thing, something to think about. On a side note i have been using the modeling spoon on the hard bevel lines and it does look a lot better. Another area I have to work at is lifting the swivel knife out of the leather at the end cut.

Well, I aint suggesting doing it that way is "wrong",.. just different.  Each his own, and all that ;) 

But you're right about NOT re-wetting the leather - that's a no.  I have covered areas I wasn't able to get to , and went ahead and completed the section I was working on (as you did here).  That does work, though as a rule I absolutely try to finish a carving once i start it.  Just FYI:  when you need to cover it - whatever reason - I find that the tracing film you used for the design works just fine (the clear film, not the paper).

And I don't fridge, or dish soap in the water, or stand on the left leg to tool on Tuesday.  Honestly, I don't know WHERE some of that stuff comes from :rolleyes2:  "Cool to the touch" is another one gets used a lot, but means nothing.  If my shop is 65%, then leather is "cool to the touch" no matter how dry it is or isn't.

Yer toolin's lookin' purdy good .. carry on!