Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDusty

Mule saddle rigging

What’s the best rigging fir a mule saddle?  I have seen several production saddles with double rings, front and back, and several custom rigs that where 3/4 inskirt. It will be for a 17” wade. 

Careful there....asking saddle makers for "best" rigging is likely to cause a fight.  Joking aside, I'll stick out my neck and offer a couple of opinions:

-Many mules have straight shoulders so I would avoid using "full" rigging position as it runs the risk of having the cinch chafe behind their elbow.  My preferred position for a mule is 3/4.

-Plan for a breast collar and breeching.  Select your front rigging hardware so that it can accept having a breeching strap run through it.  For example, if you are installing a flat plate or skirt rigging (my choice), I would use a #550 plate or similar and avoid the #5053.  Speaking of rig plates, I'm not a fan of the multi-position rig plates that I've sometimes seen on mule saddles.  At first glance this seems appealing but they create a very wide, rigid area under your leg and against the contour of the animal's side.   Been there and regretted it.