Mike1261

Outsourcing Burnishing Work

Hi folks

I produce leather bracelets and the most time consuming part is the edge Burnishing. I go for a super smooth finish that takes me a long time with multiple sanding/tokenole passes until it's totally smooth with no leather picky parts, then finish the edge with resolene.

Because of the length of time I spend on it, my production volume is quite low and quite exhausting.

I'm wondering if there are leather working shops out there that I can send a batch of unfinished bracelets to and they ship it back burnished?

If so, any idea on cost?

Thanks! :-)

A couple of questions:  What kind of leather (or leathers) are you using on these bracelets, and are you burnishing by hand or mechanically?

I'm not aware of any burnishing services but I'm sure there's someone out there who'll do it. Can you maybe teach your friend/kid/neightbour/whatev to do it?

Motorised burnishers are handy. Depending on your leather and what you're using to burnish with burnishing by hand isn't hugely slow once you get the knack. I use diluted PVA and a bone folder and can burnish a belt in 10-20 minutes so long as I'm using good quality leather. I always use a motorised wheel for the wax though.