jujulolo

Which type of hole for lacing?

Hello and sorry for the beginer question.

I have read a little about how to lace, the whip stitch, the running stitch ...

I think i understand the theory but what i don't understand is which kind of holes must be used?

Sometimes in the examples they are round, sometimes punched using thonging chisels that make  "square" holes, sometimes parallel to the edge and sometimes with an angle ?

Is there a rule of thumb for which kind of holes must be made for which kind of work?

I have a few of small project in mind that require lacing. Beside the lace what should  i buy? Lacing chisels (angled or not) or only a round drive punch?

Thanks for your help

8 minutes ago, jujulolo said:

Hello and sorry for the beginer question.

I have read a little about how to lace, the whip stitch, the running stitch ...

I think i understand the theory but what i don't understand is which kind of holes must be used?

Sometimes in the examples they are round, sometimes punched using thonging chisels that make  "square" holes, sometimes parallel to the edge and sometimes with an angle ?

Is there a rule of thumb for which kind of holes must be made for which kind of work?

I have a few of small project in mind that require lacing. Beside the lace what should  i buy? Lacing chisels (angled or not) or only a round drive punch?

Thanks for your help

Nope! Some may have personal beliefs but it pretty much up to you how you want your work to look. The Tandy website has a ton of free ebooks covering most everything you need to know. It an awesome resource for the beginners and old timers alike https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/category/79/ebooks?pagenum=1  Try the book "How to lace" among others .

17 minutes ago, jujulolo said:

Since you have a few projects in mind, you might want to get the best book I know of on the subject, "The Art of Hand Sewing", by Al Stohlman. It is available through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Hand-Sewing-Leather/dp/1892214911/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=leather+stitching+book&qid=1580585416&sr=8-1

71vNePnuuCL.jpg

7 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Since you have a few projects in mind, you might want to get the best book I know of on the subject, "The Art of Hand Sewing", by Al Stohlman. It is available through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Hand-Sewing-Leather/dp/1892214911/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=leather+stitching+book&qid=1580585416&sr=8-1

71vNePnuuCL.jpg

its also free on the tandy website

18 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

its also free on the tandy website

That is a very interesting site, thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry to say, but I'm getting old and have found that very few things are actually "free."  When you click through to this book, you don't just get to download it from the site, but have to provide your contact information first. Not quite "free."

21 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

That is a very interesting site, thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry to say, but I'm getting old and have found that very few things are actually "free."  When you click through to this book, you don't just get to download it from the site, but have to provide your contact information first. Not quite "free."

All you need is an account and if you shop Tandy online its no different. Didn't cost a penny to make an account either so.... On the amazon site however it does cost real money! over 20 bucks for most, one of them $528.00 + your contact information.

Edited by chuck123wapati

That how to lace book really has a LOT of information - worth getting (and free doesn't hurt a bit).

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/product/1110/how-to-lace

The holes you'll want to use can depend on the type of lacing you want to do and the type of product you put it on.  For most small items - notebooks on down - I use a "double loop" lace more often than not ... and when I do that, I like angled slits - not punched holes.

A little experience will teach you what YOU prefer - don't take long to get the hang of it.

43.jpg20181216_085906.jpgAngled slits, but I punched a small (like size 00) hole in the very corner.  Allows the lace to flow and lay straight despite the bulk of lacing through the corner hole 3 times.

Same "double loop" lacing, but used small round holes due to the snake (python) skin.  Slits may start a tear in the very thin (and fragile scale) snake hide.

9 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

That how to lace book really has a LOT of information - worth getting (and free doesn't hurt a bit).

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/product/1110/how-to-lace

The holes you'll want to use can depend on the type of lacing you want to do and the type of product you put it on.  For most small items - notebooks on down - I use a "double loop" lace more often than not ... and when I do that, I like angled slits - not punched holes.

A little experience will teach you what YOU prefer - don't take long to get the hang of it.

43.jpg20181216_085906.jpgAngled slits, but I punched a small (like size 00) hole in the very corner.  Allows the lace to flow and lay straight despite the bulk of lacing through the corner hole 3 times.

Same "double loop" lacing, but used small round holes due to the snake (python) skin.  Slits may start a tear in the very thin (and fragile scale) snake hide.

those are purdy!

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

those are purdy!

'preciatecha ;)

Them wallets went out a good while back.. just pics that were already on this site.  And the bracelets are comin a year old now, and my daughter and her friend are ridin' pretty hard about gittin new ones done in black shark hide. :o