Vikefan

Weaver Cub Manual Sewing Machine

Hey,

Check out the Weaver leather rotary sewing machine I saw a video on today. I wished I'd had this option when I bought my Tipman Boss.

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/63500-01/master-tools-cub-manual/pr_59274/cp_/shop-now/machinery/sewing/machines

Vikefan

1 hour ago, Vikefan said:

Check out the Weaver leather rotary sewing machine I saw a video on today.

I am very impressed and from what I can gather a USA product. It looks like it is begging for a nice slow speed servo. This one seems to be a game changer for people needing a heavy duty machine. I hope this one catches on.

kgg

8 hours ago, kgg said:

I am very impressed and from what I can gather a USA product. It looks like it is begging for a nice slow speed servo. This one seems to be a game changer for people needing a heavy duty machine. I hope this one catches on.

kgg

They have done very well with that. I almost bought one a few years ago, and not only has Weaver managed to increase the quality of the product but dropped the price. That's economies of scale I guess.

Just a shame there's no reverse or grooved flywheel, cos otherwise it could be a decent alternative to the CB3200.

The Cub does look interesting, but at the same time it looks a bit rough and unfinished. The thread guides look like they come straight from the hardware store, which is fine, but it gives you the impression that your $1500 machine is built of cheap parts you can get at your local hardware store. A bigger issue I see is the check spring, being long and poking out from the machine. I can easily see something getting tangled on it and destroying it, either when in normal use or especially when being moved. As I said, it looks interesting, but it would benefit from some minor tweaks.

Wow ! Am I glad I stumbled onto this thread. Watched the Cub video and it sure looks interesting. Agreed, reverse and a grooved flywheel would be great, but I don't make anything huge so can just turn the piece around to lock stitch, and after buying it, I couldn't afford a servo and speed reducer anyways LOL

Thanks for the heads up Vikefan !!

17 hours ago, Vikefan said:

Hey,

Check out the Weaver leather rotary sewing machine I saw a video on today. I wished I'd had this option when I bought my Tipman Boss.

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/63500-01/master-tools-cub-manual/pr_59274/cp_/shop-now/machinery/sewing/machines

Vikefan

I saw the cub and was interested in it, but decided to go with an outlaw and ordered it from Bob Kobar this morning. I think it will be easier to precisely place the Stich with the outlaw. The cub is a couple hundred more than the outlaw and at that price you really have to scratch your head about just getting a 441 machine. It doesn’t look terribly robust for 1600 bucks although the weight is around 50 lbs I think. 

Question here : Since it doesn't have a grooved flywheel, would a friction motor be a possibility ? (maybe for lighter weight stuff)

1 hour ago, Crossman said:

Question here : Since it doesn't have a grooved flywheel, would a friction motor be a possibility ? (maybe for lighter weight stuff)

Before anybody tries motorizing a Cub, contact Weaver Leather and talk to their sewing machine gurus. The bearings, crank shafts and other moving parts may or may not be able to withstand speeds above what you can do by hand cranking. The manual oiling system may not be designed to provide proper lubrication at more than a couple stitches per second.  If anybody gets official word on how fast one can safely run this machine, please post it here in a reply, quoting Weaver.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:55 PM, Wizcrafts said:

may not be able to withstand speeds above what you can do by hand cranking.

+1

And spitballing here, but if the belt added would require anything like the tension on my 4500, it would certainly need those heavy duty bearings & mount casting for sufficient anchoring. 

Hi all;   Looked at the Weaver Cub video today and found it very interesting.  Thinking of buying one soon because shoulder holsters take a lot of hand sewing . I like it better than other manual sewing machines  I have looked at.   As for motorizing it I would  first remove the flywheel and install a pulley. Possibly a 10 inch one and a 1 1/2 inch on the servo motor.  This should allow you to run it slow enough.  If I needed to sew faster for production purposes I would buy something else.  Using the proper material for the belt tension should not be a problem.   

My 2 cents.   Open to comments from other members as I am just now considering a machine.  

On 2/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Before anybody tries motorizing a Cub, contact Weaver Leather and talk to their sewing machine gurus. The bearings, crank shafts and other moving parts may or may not be able to withstand speeds above what you can do by hand cranking. The manual oiling system may not be designed to provide proper lubrication at more than a couple stitches per second.  If anybody gets official word on how fast one can safely run this machine, please post it here in a reply, quoting Weaver.

Everybody wants a motor but no one stops to think about rpm and lubrication. 
I look at instances like this as duty cycle. How long was the original design intended to run non stop? Not very long being hand cranked.

Amazing simple Design! Have you downloaded the manual ? Really amazing simple!

I doubt the oiling / lubrication would be an issue when motorized. I guess the CUB has a plain bearing. Singer 45K´s also have a plain bearing and no ball bearing and it is manually oiled. 45K´s can run at ~900 SPM with a very heavy hand wheel mounted. Even patchers can run at 500 SPM. But I doubt people would run a CUB at that speed even when motorized. Remember how slow you sew with your machines when sewing leather. How many SPM are realistic 100 maybe 150 SPM? The machine has one eccentric tappets and a gear rack / pinion combo that drive the machine I think it would withstand a speed of 100 - 150 SPM without problems

If I would own a CUB I would motorize it and I would not worry about the lubrication when run at relatively low speed.

But I would check with Weaver and see what they say.

Edited by Constabulary

My use for a cub would only require it being  used at  low speed so at this point I don't see a problem for me.  Motorizing it would give me more control of the project being sewed having both hands available.   So when I soon buy one I already have a servo motor picked out for it.  I don't see lubricating it often as a problem.   I am currently in the process of motorizing my Chinese shoe patch machine to use as a sewing aid punching the holes to hand sew after.  I like to hand sew but don't like an awl and using only saddle stitching.  

17 minutes ago, jhrleather said:

Motorizing it would give me more control of the project being sewed having both hands available.   So when I soon buy one I already have a servo motor picked out for it.

Make certain that the motor you buy is reversible. The Cub rotates clockwise, opposite to industrial sewing machine standards.

If you want a motorized machine, why don't you save a little while and hunt for a good used motorized machine that is suited for your needs.  If you intend to hand crank a "hand crank" machine and it fits your need,  you are probably on the right track. I recently sold a really good Artisan Toro 3000 for not much more than what a new hand cranker costs and I made a little money on it.

Is anybody using the Cub?

There's a lot of Boss and Outlaw reviews, but I don't see much about the Cub ... pro or con.

1 hour ago, SalInRI said:

Is anybody using the Cub?

There's a lot of Boss and Outlaw reviews, but I don't see much about the Cub ... pro or con.

Check on the Weaver Leather Master Tools Cub web page. There are some positive reviews from actual buyers.

I bought one . I’m still getting used to it . I having issues with it occasionally dropping a stitch . 
The fly wheel crank is huge . If you have short arms , this may not be for you. 

bb

Concerning the Weaver Cub.  No need for a grooved flywheel. Just screw a pulley to the existing  flywheel.  I just screwed a 10 inch pully with a 1 inch bore to the flywheel of a Chinese shoe patcher.  The 1 inch bore allows you to get to the bolt holding flywheel. I am running the thing with a servo motor with a 2 inch pulley.  Works nice and slow.  Since I sew exclusively  with number 346 thread which it can not sew consistently and as I  like the look of saddle stitching I saddle stitch my holsters.   I then decided to remove the needle and the bobbin and installed an  awl blade. I now use it as a motorized harness awl.  Works Fantastic.  No need for a speed reducer etc. it's all in the motor control.  It punches all the holes at the proper angle and I then saddle stitch the whole project.  

I would like to post photos of the machine with modifications  and shoulder holsters but don't know how. Can someone help.

Edited by jhrleather
correct erros

In my previous post I forgot to mention that if anyone is having trouble with or needing to replace the wire holding the thread on the Weaver cub just replace it with piano wire of the proper gauge.   I really like the Cub and plan to get one when the budget allows. 

18 hours ago, jhrleather said:

I would like to post photos of the machine with modifications  and shoulder holsters but don't know how. Can someone help.

Look at the bottom of the posting area you are typing in.  Drag files here, or a link to choose files using your file system.

Also check this post.

Tom

I bought one last week.  It delivered today.  I doubt I'll get to use it much, as work is really kicking in at the moment.

I had a BOSS a while back, but the tension drove me insane, so I sold it.  Fingers crossed, this CUB looks like it will work out.

I know an old thread, but wanted to see if anyone ended up motorized one and if so how’d it work out. 

3 hours ago, 14chow said:

I know an old thread, but wanted to see if anyone ended up motorized one and if so how’d it work out. 

14chow,

I hadn't seen this thread before but maybe you could help me understand.  According to the prices I see, the Cub is only $500 less than the CB3200(from Cowboy Bob).  I know shipping would be higher but you get a reverse, table and a servo motor.  That's worth the extra $500 to me.  I know sometimes that extra $500 is just too hard to come by.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Jim