machineage

Newby - Bought Three Compound Feed Machines - Which One to Keep?!

Hi all!

So I'm new here, but this seems to be the place to be for information and guidance about these machines.

I am looking to re-cover the vinyl seating in my hovercraft, and after getting some quotes (:blink:) I've decided to give it a go myself. I've had experience with sewing machines & sewing in the past, just not industrial ones. I'm also an engineer, so hopefully I will be able to attend to the needs of my chosen machine.

Anyway, I went mad last week, and bought THREE machines (it was a good deal!). All are compound feed machines with reverse (to my knowledge). A Wimsew W-0618-1, a Singer 211G166 and a Durkopp 239-125. I have read some information about the Singer & the Durkopp, but know little about the Wimsew. I'm guessing it's a Chinese copy of some kind. The Wimsew & Singer are working, but likely in need of a service. The Durkopp is very stiff, needs some work.

Which would you choose as the best for my application? I will be sewing marine vinyl, up to four layers at some points (overlapping seams). I will keep one and install a servo motor.

Anyway - here's a photo of the lineup!

IMG_2082.jpeg

I expect that all will work. The wimsew is indeed a Chinese machine (rebadged Highlead 0618-1). I had one and wasn't hugely impressed with the quality.

Not sure about the Durkopp except that they make good quality machines. I'd be tempted to use the Singer, as that model is a rebadged Seiko (STW-8 IRRC). It's a good quality machine unlikely to go out of whack in the middle of a job (unlike my experience with Wimsew), can go fast (2900spm) and has a compound feed with walking foot, which is ideal for your use case. The only caveat to the above is that it will use smaller bobbins than the Wimsew so you'll have to change them more often. However I think that the quality of the Singer will outweigh this advantage.

Hover craft you say? Any chance of a look?

Edited by Matt S

I agree with Matt S ..I have the same model Singer ( mine is "bronze" finish ) ..now with servo and speed reducer.

Hover craft eh..we made some at school ( engineering class ) many decades ago..loads of fun..making and piloting :)

Say Hi! to the eels.

I had a 211G166 for a while, until I decided to rationalise what I had (not enough room!), it was a good machine and would be my choice out of the three. Looks like that one is on a nicer table (with wheels).

Keep the Singer, sell the other two and get one of these motors:

https://store.keysew.com/sp-1100-npfl

My favorite motor for the price. Lots of torque, needle positioner and great low-speed control. Can even do a foot lifter solenoid.

Thanks for the replies!

I don't know why, but I thought the Durkopp may have been the machine of choice. It seems the Singer is the one to keep. It has been refurbished at some point, and it's been repainted. It's missing the stitch length button, spring & clip. I will order these. I guess another thing is spares for the Singer appear to be readily available. I've found a copy of the service manual online, so I'm reading through that with regards to setting the machine up properly. I've notice a few more things with the Singer that I need advice on, should I start a new thread dedicated to that machine or ask here?

@R8R That looks like a nice motor, I'll have to see if it's available in the UK.

@dikman Yes it's on the best table of the three, presently with a Wimsew clutch motor.

@mikesc What did you use to reduce the speed? A smaller pulley on your servo motor, or a secondary speed reduction drive? Also what servo motor did you go for?

@Matt S Thanks for the info on the Wimsew / Highlead. I can cope with the smaller bobbins, it's not as if I'm going to be using the machine at any great length. The Singer does appear to be a good machine, and as I understand it the 'G' signifies it was manufactured in Germany. Pic of the hovercraft closed FYI.

Hover.jpg

Edited by machineage

That is so cool..
Street legal ?.. or just water and shore line ?
Specs ?..self build ?

But ...Impossible to get past the "type verification" here in France..
No customising of engines ( cars or bikes here ) ..only very limited bodywork mods..unless you are not using it on public roads..Had a custom painting / body work / engine work ( bikes, cars boats etc ) business here for 10 years or so..( there are "ways" to make them legit here , for bikes and some cars , trucks , boats etc ..but not for hovercraft ) I know of what I speak. :(
I'm within sight, sound and smell of the sea here..would love to build one..I know how to ( resin molding , engines etc included, ) and have sources for all I would need..But local maritime and terrestrial "plod" etc ( even though I have many mates in those services here in France and Brittany ) would "love it"..tell me how cool it was.., want a ride..and then "someone higher up" would say .."nope", can't have that roaming about..

Speed reducer ..self built pulley system .. 5 to 1 ratio..( 200mm to 40 mm ) driven from a servo with a 45mm pulley feeding to 200mm.
Servo 550 watt "Jack" ( without needle positioner ) from College Sewing in the UK..about €100.00 + shipping and VAT

I've since bought more of them ( servo motors ) direct from China..paying about half that, plus shipping..

Edited by mikesc

Better to start a new thread if you have specific questions related to the Singer. That servo R8R listed is very nice but at 1100 watts is way overkill for the Singer! A 550w will be more than adequate.

Oh, and the hovercraft looks cool!

Edited by dikman

@machineage that's a cool machine. I bet she goes some!

I like the jack servos. Good low starting speed and a smooth control range. A 550W (plenty for a upholstery machine) is about £120, and an extra tenner for a positioner sensor.

@machineage  when I saw the pics, my immediate thought was, ' the one in the middle' , but when I scrolled down, I noticed that @Matt S had a similar view, great minds think alike I guess.  I have a Seiko STW 28B, ( converted to a single needle) super reliable. It turns 54  in  July  this year  :birthday: 

If it was me, I'd keep all 3 .  You could set them up  for different applications, textiles etc.If you get rid of the other two, you may regret it later, just a thought ?  :) 

HS