Breorius1

Something went wrong

Hi all,

Got a problem - made a belt, painted it and covered with F cordovan antique finish paste, swiped it off after 25 min or so and after some time I used F tan-kote on it.

The problem is as pictures show - it started to peel of :/ further more what should i use to protect the belt from buckle dmg.

84461555_1371316876373050_7604288225187725312_n.jpg

84902504_181568806242240_480406969824313344_n.jpg

How did you paint it, and with what?  I use f antique paste and tan coat all the time never had that happen?  How long did you leave paint on to dry?  Did you let the antique paste dry good?  Did the peeling start when putting on the tan coat?  I would tend to think the paint wasn’t the right kind of paint or it wasn’t good and dry! 

It looks as though there was something under the paint, . . . another product??   Wax???

And you build belts to be worn with a  buckle, . . . buckle damage is like tires wearing out on the car, . . .  just happens.

May God bless,

Dwight

11 hours ago, Rhale said:

How did you paint it, and with what?  I use f antique paste and tan coat all the time never had that happen?  How long did you leave paint on to dry?  Did you let the antique paste dry good?  Did the peeling start when putting on the tan coat?  I would tend to think the paint wasn’t the right kind of paint or it wasn’t good and dry! 

I've painted it with kaps paints (shoemakers paint for leather) but iv'e did only the background (black) and edges (brown) the embossed imprint was left unpainted and unwaxed (and that's the place it peels off). After getting the excess paste off i've waited coupe of minutes before getting tan kote on, maybe thats the issue - the paste didn't dry enough

84176942_1261915694017802_2359095393888763904_n.jpg

10 hours ago, Dwight said:

It looks as though there was something under the paint, . . . another product??   Wax???

And you build belts to be worn with a  buckle, . . . buckle damage is like tires wearing out on the car, . . .  just happens.

May God bless,

Dwight

The embossed imprint is the only place that is peeling off and ive left it unpainted and unwaxed. maybe i've used tan kote to quickly.

Could you have put grease from your hand onto the unpainted, when you did the black background

from what I 've just read there is a "preparer" solution did you use it? 

To me it looks like the antique didn't adhere to the leather and is peeling off.  When I apply antique I don't let it dry.  It's more a case of applying it and then wiping it back off before it can dry.  That leaves the antique only in the crevices of your tooling.  That being said, even if someone did let it dry completely I can't see it peeling like this unless there was something on the leather preventing it from sticking to the leather.

1 hour ago, Bob Blea said:

To me it looks like the antique didn't adhere to the leather and is peeling off.  When I apply antique I don't let it dry.  It's more a case of applying it and then wiping it back off before it can dry.  That leaves the antique only in the crevices of your tooling.  That being said, even if someone did let it dry completely I can't see it peeling like this unless there was something on the leather preventing it from sticking to the leather.

That's what I was thinking. you stated you left the antique on for 25 minutes before wiping off. When I antique I put it on and then wipe it right back off. I've never left it on for more than maybe a minute. I'm betting that doing so allowed it to start to bond just enough to do what it did.

14 hours ago, Bob Blea said:

12 hours ago, Mark842 said:

That's what I was thinking. you stated you left the antique on for 25 minutes before wiping off. When I antique I put it on and then wipe it right back off. I've never left it on for more than maybe a minute. I'm betting that doing so allowed it to start to bond just enough to do what it did.

Maybe that is the issue. I know I've seen a vid somewhere regarding leaving the paste for some time before wiping it off, but well maybe I mixed something and it was on oil tan leather not normal...

One way or another, thank you all for the help. 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:11 AM, Breorius1 said:

Maybe that is the issue. I know I've seen a vid somewhere regarding leaving the paste for some time before wiping it off, but well maybe I mixed something and it was on oil tan leather not normal...

One way or another, thank you all for the help. 

I didn't even consider the paste. I always use the gel.