My golf partner asked me to make a purse for his wife in time for her birthday. Now I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew, so I said I'd be honored.

I'm not too proud to say that this one taught me a few hard lessons during the construction phase. 

All in all I'm happy with the final product and she loves it., Lined with green fabric in her favorite shade of green with a zippered pouch. 8/9 oz body and straps, hand tooled with craftaid pattern.

Sewn on Cowboy 2300, and some hand stitching, 207 thread

16X12X3

You thoughts and comments always welcome.

big purse 1.jpg

big purse 2.jpg

Hoo boy, that’s a beautiful bag! If you’ve got a significant other of your own I hope her bag needs are already tended or I can see some jealousy on the horizon. ;-)

very Nice.   Do you have any pictures of the interior of the bag?  

7 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Hoo boy, that’s a beautiful bag! If you’ve got a significant other of your own I hope her bag needs are already tended or I can see some jealousy on the horizon. ;-)

I agree with Retswerb

Biting off more'n ya kin chew is how you git better.  I got a buddy is a long distance runner - always runnin' - who reminds me that if you want to get GOOD at runnin' 2 miles, ya gotta practice runnin' FIVE.

Came out of it well, though ... buddy's wife is happy, meaning buddy is happy,  ya got some learnin's, and it's getting sent out so your wife can't be upset that it doesn't match her cabinets :thumbsup:

Beautiful!

Very beautiful!  What craftaid pattern # is that, if you don’t mind me asking? Thanks Rodney 

It's gorgeous!

the tooling is amazing.  if you still have learning to do, my hobbiest eyes cannot see it.  You should be very proud.

Edited by Sperrier

On 2/12/2020 at 4:54 PM, cseeger said:

Technically, yeah, it's impressive.  Aesthetically?  Meh.

You may have missed the part where I wrote "your thoughts and comments always welcome" I'm not pandering for anything except input from others that like to work with leather.

First lets agree that "aesthetics" is a personal point of view, your likes may not be the same as mine. I like the tooling, I like the two tone, I like that I tried to build a purse and I don't like the stitching.  At 63 years old it takes a lot to Hurt my feelings and you're honest critique sure isn't going to do it, it won't even move the needle.

Edited by Northmount
remove rant

On 2/3/2020 at 2:15 PM, Albob said:

Sewn on Cowboy 2300

Do you mean 2500 or 3200 Cowboy?

Very nice tooling and colour but as you said the stitching is not so good. I am curious as to whether you had no guide or just what gave you this problem. I do very much like the tooling as I said but if I can help with the sewing part with any tips I would if I knew which machine you are using.

P.S> I am only 62 yr as well though.:lol:

4 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Do you mean 2500 or 3200 Cowboy?

Very nice tooling and colour but as you said the stitching is not so good. I am curious as to whether you had no guide or just what gave you this problem. I do very much like the tooling as I said but if I can help with the sewing part with any tips I would if I knew which machine you are using.

P.S> I am only 62 yr as well though.:lol:

Yeah typo, I meant the 3200. Thanks for the offer of help, I think the stitching issues came from lack of forward planing. I ended up having a hard time keeping it under the presser foot. That caused it to wander a little. 

I learned a little more that day.

Can I assume that the gusset is done in one piece? I suspect so by the rounding at the corners at the base. There is an easy design change that can make that work a lot easier if you are interested, I can put in a couple of pictures with some description if you like. The other thing is what foot and needle plate combination did you use? I am guessing that you don't have a narrow feed dog /needle plate set and that you may have used the narrow slotted needle plate without feed dog and perhaps a left back foot.....or? A picture would be great if possible.

Edited by RockyAussie
mistake maybe.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, cseeger said:

In fact, you are missing the point.  Tell me what is different between what you created and what Al Stohlman created in 1952?  That's my point. 

I see your point and for me Sheridan has run it's course also. I'd love to see the same principles applied to more modern designs But you can't stop a guy exploring what's in him, no matter what he does it's all been done before. Albob made the thing for someone else and he got some learning from it and some pride and deservedly so. You could have said it differently.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

I see your point and for me Sheridan has run it's course also. I'd love to see the same principles applied to more modern designs But you can't stop a guy exploring what's in him, no matter what he does it's all been done before. Albob made the thing for someone else and he got some learning from it and some pride and deservedly so. You could have said it differently.

Nothing against Albob or what he made or even to show it off.  I'm making the broader point that this art form is dominated by old guard practitioners who value technique over design and that thinking is taking the art form nowhere, killing it in fact.  But I will say this, there is one person who is single handedly pushing it forward -- Tony See -- but sadly even he doesn't get it.  

Edited by cseeger

4 minutes ago, cseeger said:

Nothing against Albob or what he made or even to show it off.  I'm making the broader to point that this art form is dominated by old guard practitioners who value technique over design and that thinking is taking the art form nowhere, killing it in fact.  But I will say this, there is one person who is single handedly pushing it forward -- Tony See -- but sadly even he doesn't get it.  

Then make your point off your own bat and not someone elses. Show us how you're taking the art forward. I love Tony See to bits and made several of his patterns but you're talking apples and oranges. Tony See doesn't do tooling, he does steampunk and as I said before there's nothing new under the sun. Tony See didn't invent the Plague Mask.

I realize how rude my voice comes across, how it violates etiquette and sensibilities, but the issue resonates.  You're thinking about it and that's all that matters.  Maybe, just maybe, a few minds are now shifted toward a better way forward.

~deep bow~  You're welcome.

6 hours ago, cseeger said:

I'm making the broader point that this art form is dominated by old guard practitioners who value technique over design and that thinking is taking the art form nowhere, killing it in fact.

I have just finished a video class done by none other than Jim Linnell, I think it is safe to say he's been doing this a while.  He makes a point to respect and honor your craft enough to study the craftsmen that have come before you, understand and practice their techniques, then make it into something you want it to be.  He specifically asks:  what will others say about your work when you are gone?  Is it more of the same, or will they say wow, look at what this guy came up with?  He mentions specific styles that are named after the individuals that brought them to the world.  So I'd say there are many that value moving the art forward.  There are some on this forum that do incredible work in figure carving ( @ABHandmade comes to mind) and those that have been on this forum ( BoboCat and others) that have merged different floral styles into their own.  @GrayHallidayJr has a very unique tooling style.   I am still in the infancy of learning and practicing tooling, and as such am a bit relegated to studying and practicing what is already out there before I go wild creating my own style.  I own patterns from the at least as old as the 1940's to the present, so a lot of studying and practicing to do!  I do see things I would like to change, and I am sure I'll get there some day.  I would concede your point that it is time for new styles, it always is.  But I wouldn't harp on someone's hard work to make that point.  Especially someone's "First Purse!"  Kind of implies they are in the study and practice phase, not break new ground phase.  :)

Sorry about the digression.  Back on topic: nice purse!  Stitching will look better on the next one since you know what caused the issue.  That is a whole lot of tooling!  Any pics of the inside?

YinTx

On 2/13/2020 at 11:18 AM, YinTx said:

First off, I have mad respect for you, YinTx, so thank you for quoting my point about the old guard and how this art form is literally dying before us and that we, the artists, are doing nothing to stop it.  It's a travesty.  

On 2/13/2020 at 11:32 AM, cseeger said:

First off, I have mad respect for you, YinTx, so thank you for quoting my point about the old guard and how this art form is literally dying before us and that we, the artists, are doing nothing to stop it.  It's a travesty.  

I agree that we sometimes are guilty of being too nice.  Generally too nice to beginners.  We obviously want to help encourage them.  But, and there's always a but, we shouldn't shy away from point out where they are in error or heading down the wrong path.  If done with tact, and with respect to where they are at in their development, I can't help but believe they will appreciate it.

There is another current thread where someone posted something they were obviously proud of.  It had serious flaws.  I could tell by the posters reaction or lack thereof that they weren't happy with any criticism.  That's unfortunate.

Helpful, thoughtful criticism is a gift.  When people stop caring enough to even comment, we're on the wrong path.

23 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Helpful, thoughtful criticism is a gift.  When people stop caring enough to even comment, we're on the wrong path.

And mad respect for you too, Tugadude, the soft spoken artist ambassador.  xxxooo

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

So very well put.:yes:

7 hours ago, cseeger said:

I realize how rude my voice comes across, how it violates etiquette and sensibilities, but the issue resonates.  You're thinking about it and that's all that matters.  Maybe, just maybe, a few minds are now shifted toward a better way forward.

~deep bow~  You're welcome.

Your voice only comes across as rude because you are posting in the wrong place. This is an interesting topic, but one that you should create in a new topic and not attack an absolutely beautiful project created by the OP. I truly request that you create a new thread in the general discussion forum where we can openly discuss the evolution and future or leather design and fabrication. 

I, as I am sure others, believe that the purse presented in this thread is beautiful and one that I would be proud to create and one that my wife would love to own..

Please stop with the personal attacks.

Now you have started your own rant thread please leave this one alone so others can discuss the OP's bag in a tactful and helpful way