HondoMan

Restoring M/C saddle bags

Good morning,

last year a new client spoke with me quickly on restoring old saddle bags for his bike.  At the time, he had a few moments and I noticed the straps cracking due to the buckles.  I tossed on some proper screw rivets and removed the buckles to take some pressure off the straps.  There was no time to use NFO on the straps due to weather and the bike was parked outside.  

Well, he returned.  He wants the bags restored, but doesn't want the straps replaced just yet.  Unsure why.  He just wants the bags dyed.  The leather near on feels and looks like a 2,5mm pull up leather.  Quite waxy, but also harder than the pull up leather I normally use.  Could be there is much change to the leather from exhaust and weather.  They stink like an exhaust pipe! 

I plan on using NFO on the straps.  Won't help the cracks much, but better than nothing for now. 

The question:  On redying this leather.  As I am unsure exactly what type it is and don't want to hurt the structure of the leather.  I am thinking to saddle soap both bags (no the straps) to remove the 'gunk' and to prepare them for dyeing.  When dry, dye and top coat.  Obviously no dye to the insides.  

Thoughts, ideas or critiques would be appreciated. 

Cheers!

IMG_1.jpg

IMG_2.jpg

IMG_3.jpg

IMG_4.jpg

IMG_5.jpg

Have done some bag work in the past on my own, one thing I do to make working on them easier is I inflate a beach ball in them till they take normal shape, seems to make things easier while I'm moving them around.

Hondo I dont get on here much but if your still looking for advice you can contact me at NortonCustomLeather.com. 

iv posted a couch & holster i redone

IMG_5530.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG