LomaeArts

looking at buying a 45k21

I have opportunity to buy a Singer 45k21 biult in 1942.  The seller says it works well and has just been serviced.

The photos look good and the price is not unrealistic.  

I thought I would take some of my leather and sew 2 and 3 layers of 3mm combination chrome leather.

Is it posibble to detail what I should look for when inspecting the machine?

I'd like to announce I am now the proud owner of a 45k25. 

It was originally in a cobbler shop, before going to another leather working shop. It has been in storage collecting grime for a bit. 

The table was a custom job the also had a sole stitcher mounted on it. 

I am in the progress of fabricating a pedestal mount for it and add a servo motor. 

Photos to come. 

She's a November 1950 model.  I came with the oil bath but I doubt I will fit it again.

2038999940_Singer45K25-1.thumb.jpg.831e56ba892cca78318b91d74f8563f5.jpg1523924284_Singer45K25-2.thumb.jpg.c173f1b1ba4e5ea1585878b70ebdbe16.jpg

Edited by LomaeArts

Sorry i did not see your first post but looks like you done well with that purchase. Nice clean looking machine. so is it sewing well? I see you found out some parts were on the wrong way?? That will last you probably another 100yrs :lol:. Looks like your missing your bobbin winder or did you take it off also?

Edited by jimi

Nice, very nice.

Bert.

Edited by Bert51

7 hours ago, jimi said:

Sorry i did not see your first post but looks like you done well with that purchase. Nice clean looking machine. so is it sewing well? I see you found out some parts were on the wrong way?? That will last you probably another 100yrs :lol:. Looks like your missing your bobbin winder or did you take it off also?

It came with a table mounted Winder. 

It sews really well. 

I am waiting for pulleys, flang bearings and new V belts to try it out properly. 

I am also waiting for more bobbin to be delivered. 

I have an Adler 105, which is similar to your 45, I have a 50 mm pulley on the motor  put a new "M" belt on it, the pulleys are 3/8 not 1/2 inch like normal V Belts and now it stitches at my speed.

Bert.

My servo mot0r spins at 3500 RPM, way to fast for my liking.  if I change the motor pulley for 65 to 50mm , I fear it will still be too fast.

Hopefuly if Aust Post does what they say they will, I will have a 5 stepped pulley and a new M V belt a day or two.  then I can play with hte final placementof the secondary shaft and the motor.

3 hours ago, LomaeArts said:

My servo mot0r spins at 3500 RPM, way to fast for my liking.  if I change the motor pulley for 65 to 50mm , I fear it will still be too fast.

If you use the large pulley on the flywheel and a 50mm on the motor, you should have about 3:1 reduction. Add a 3:1 speed reducer and you should have about 9:1 overall reduction.

Which servo do you have? You should be able to change the parameters and reduce the top speed and the startup speed. I recently got my Pfaff 335 working again, I fitted the servo (cheap $100 unit off ebay) to the top of the table and replaced the handwheel with a large pulley, then reduced the top speed and startup speed parameters and it goes nice and slow now.

Pfaff 335 2a.jpg

Pfaff 335 3a.jpg

I think Wiz is right with the Servo or even dikman's pulley, I still have the old 1480 rpm clutch motor on my Adler.

Bert.

oh - nice a 45K machine with centennial badge! :)

45K´s already have a fairly large an heavy flywheel, I would mount a 50mm or 40mm pulley on the motor and see if it is sufficient for the work you want to do and if not I´d install a speed reducer.

Speed reducers are great and give you a lot more speed control and even add torque!

On 2/15/2020 at 10:23 PM, jimi said:

It came with a table mounted Winder. 

It sews really well. 

I am waiting for pulleys, flang bearings and new V belts to try it out properly. 

I am also waiting for more bobbin to be delivered. 

finally made some progress on the sewing machine.

Everything arived except the extra bobbins.

Tomorrow I mount the pedals and redo the linkages.  I am wodering if I should add a spring tothe pedal linkage as the pedal movement is greater the motor controller.

45k21 progress2.png

45k21 progress3.png

I have the same type of pedal on the Pfaff table and it's pretty heavy, with weight forward! I just used a piece of elastic strap, from the front of the pedal to the cross support of the table frame, to take some of the weight off the pedal. Not a particularly elegant solution but it's simple and it works.:)

It look real nice, could you please show a few more photos when she's up and running.

Bert.

This morning the mounted & connected the foot lifter, mounted the light & finished fabricating the thread spool holder.

Dikman you have forced to rethink my solution. I will look for a spring to hold the pedal up as well as completing the pedal linkage. 

Bert51 I will shortly as soon as I complete the pedal control. 

Bungee cord.

Yep, that's the stuff, but mine was a bit thinner than your typical cord. I'm glad you're going to re-do the linkage, it had me worried.:lol:

23 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Bungee cord.

Or Tent tension springs One to the Servo controller lever and two to the underside of the desk. 

Hmm, they might be a bit too strong, you don't want too much extra tension or you will lose sensitivity in operating the pedal. You really only want something to balance the "dead" weight of the cast iron in the pedal.

Dikman, 

Spot on. The springs work well to prevent the controller lever being over extended, but are no good to balance the dead weight. 

I´m using heavy cast iron pedals too. My accelerator lever (JACK SERVO) has 2 notches for the spring, I simply set it to the grove further away from the pivot point - problem solved. If there is no 2nd grove just make one.

IMG_1103.JPG