Felkine

Best Sewing Machine for a Newbie

Hello,

I'm new to leatherworking. So far I've sewed a few things, some bags, wallets and a coat. I've been sewing for longer then I've been sewing leather. My little Singer 15k (I think) can't quiet keep up with what I want to do. After reading a lot on the forums I started to keep an eye out for an actual leather sewing machine and not a high powered industrial machine as most are described. Today I came across two machines for sale from the same owner and both look like what I could use. The problem is I don't know which is better suited to me or which is the better deal.

The machines for sale are a Consew 227 and a Singer 132k6. Here's a link with the ad and some pictures. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1485262987 Both are $400 CAD so about $300 USD. And I believe neither has reverse.

The Consew 227 comes with a table and a gear reducer clutch motor.

The Singer 132k6 also comes with a table and a clutch motor. (Will change to Servo for $50 extra)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

$_59 (1).jpg

$_59.jpg

Edited by Felkine
added info

I can't offer nearly as much wisdom as the other members here, but as someone who regularly checks CL for machine deals, I would probably run out of my boots getting to that Consew for $300. 

Also, the cylinder arm offers some versatility and much easier to make bags ect on and you can easily make or add a removable table to slip over the arm for the benefits of a flat bed machine. 

I have a cb4500 which is also a cylinder arm machine, but not so good for the lighter work. 

It sounds like this might be a good fit for you assuming the machine in good working order, even tho you may possibly need to add a servo motor - speed reducer. 

Cheers, Roger

2 minutes ago, Rodzhobyz said:

Also, the cylinder arm offers some versatility and much easier to make bags ect on and you can easily make or add a removable table to slip over the arm for the benefits of a flat bed machine. 

It sounds like this might be a good fit for you assuming the machine in good working order, even tho you may possibly need to add a servo motor - speed reducer. 

Thank you for the input, Roger! When I saw the machine I thought the price looked too good to be true! According to the owner it runs great and sews up to 3/8 inch. He's selling to buy a machine that can sew up to 1/2 inch. He also says it has a speed reduced that makes is go a lot slower, 'too slow for some people'. Personally I would MUCH rather slow. The only problem is it's about 2.5 hours away... Guess I might spend next Saturday driving!

It sounds like you have been extremely fortunate in finding the right machine for you for a great price. Before I decided to buy new, I was about to load up a used Juki 341, which I think is, for all intents and purposes, basically the same machine as that 227, and would have been paying $1300 US for it with a new servo motor and speed reducer, however, while test sewing, I jambed the shuttle up & released the safety clutch. Being green as a gourd, I feared there was a problem with the machine and passed on it.

I elected to purchase new for my 1st machine to avoid any hair pulling frustrations and drove a 20 hr round trip to buy directly from Bob at Toledo and have no regrets. Now that I have some experience with the machine, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a good used machine for the light work and have even considered buying the Juki I passed on before so yes sir if it's in working condition at all Id say $300 is a great deal.  

Enjoy!

I once owned a Singer 132k6. I thought it was the machine to end all machines until I tried sewing projects 3/8 inch thick with #346 thread. Fergettit. It is meant to sew buffing wheels, not leather. It will sew 5/16" better and 1/4" reliably. The feed system is a spring loaded follow foot on top and aggressive feed dogs on the bottom. The inside foot and needle remain in place. If you decide to go into the car wash business this would be a good machine for dangling brush repairs.

5 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I once owned a Singer 132k6. I thought it was the machine to end all machines until I tried sewing projects 3/8 inch thick with #346 thread. Fergettit. It is meant to sew buffing wheels, not leather. It will sew 5/16" better and 1/4" reliably. The feed system is a spring loaded follow foot on top and aggressive feed dogs on the bottom. The inside foot and needle remain in place. If you decide to go into the car wash business this would be a good machine for dangling brush repairs.

Thanks so much for the input, Wiz! So that's a vehement no on the Singer 132k6. Is the Consew 227 a good choice or should I be looking at something else? Sadly I can't afford to buy new but Toronto is close by so there's always a variety of used items available.

28 minutes ago, Felkine said:

Thanks so much for the input, Wiz! So that's a vehement no on the Singer 132k6. Is the Consew 227 a good choice or should I be looking at something else? Sadly I can't afford to buy new but Toronto is close by so there's always a variety of used items available.

I have two machines in my shop that have reverse, out of 9 sewing machines. The rest are straight stitch, forward only, or patchers. Reverse is nice if the stitch lengths match. If not, it is a pain. If your project can be sewn all the way around, just sew over 4 or 5 stitches to lock in the beginning and ending stitches. When I can't sew around, I use Poor Man's Reverse: spin the work around 180 degrees and sew over 3 or 4 previous stitches. Other times, I sew a couple stitches, raise the needle and foot/feet, pull the work towards me and bury the needle into the first hole and sew over those stitches. Cechaflo sometimes uses the same technique to lock his stitches in his videos.

Thank you for your input! I think I'll be going on a road trip this weekend to pick up the Consew 227!