This was one of my Christmas orders.  The customer wanted a pretty specific design and layout.  This was the first time I have done a notebook where everything was black except the tooled areas.  That seems to be a popular style these days and I was glad to give it a try.  She was thrilled with the result and I think I'll be glad to make this style again, though maybe in a smaller size.

The basket weave design is all hand carved.  I don't have a block stamp that size.  I thought that would be a fairly simple design but I really underestimated the amount of work required to tool that large of a design.  I did like how it turned out though and would do it again despite how labor intensive it turns out to be.

I'm happy to hear any feedback.

black notebook front.JPGblack notebook back.JPGIMG_3926.JPGIMG_3925.JPG

Just awesome!  I really like the tooling design, in particular the over/under pattern in the center.  That is a whole lot of tooling for sure!  I have a bible cover that I am a bit reticent to start because I know it has a ton of tooling.  Any idea how long it took you?

YinTx

very nice indeedy

57 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Just awesome!  I really like the tooling design, in particular the over/under pattern in the center.  That is a whole lot of tooling for sure!  I have a bible cover that I am a bit reticent to start because I know it has a ton of tooling.  Any idea how long it took you?

YinTx

Thank you!  It wasn't too bad since the front and back are mirror images of each other.  I didn't keep good records on how long it took but I think the floral carving took 3-4 hours per side.

54 minutes ago, fredk said:

very nice indeedy

Thank you very much!

Certainly looks good. I always thought the hard part was buffing the black and keeping it off the not black!

27 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Certainly looks good. I always thought the hard part was buffing the black and keeping it off the not black!

Yes Sir, that was certainly a challenge for this one.  It took a lot of work to get it buffed and sealed without getting dye particles everywhere they shouldn't have been.

This looks really nice!    It looks like the spine doesn't have any problem flexing or binding.

what weight leather did you use?

Beautiful and precise geometric work Sir!