TaylorM

Buying my first machine - Cowboy CB3200

I am looking to invest into a sewing machine. I was recommended the Cowboy CB3200 and the Cobra class 4 due to the quality of the machine. Right now I mostly work with wallets. The cowboy is more financially friendly so I’m looking to go with that. I have a distributor telling me he can sell it for $1,895, plus shipping! Any push back before I pull the trigger? Does anybody sell these used and is that worth looking in to?

Maybe my comment was confusing. I am not getting the 3200 because I need it to be capable of only making wallets. I was recommended the cowboy because of the quality of the machine and so that in the future I can grow and work on other projects beyond wallets. If you have recommendations for a better machine that is known for its quality, please let me know!

•  
Edited by TaylorM
More info

3200 for wallets?  Must be some BEEFY wallets ...

the 3200 can go up for thicker leathers but when I was trying them out my guy was able to dial it down to nicely sew 2 boot tops together - so not thick.  Now i'll be able to go thicker if I want and not be as limited as I would have been with the 341.

I am with JLS here, I think a Pfaff 335 (or similar) would be better for wallets. Think about the size of the needles and thread also??

11 minutes ago, jimi said:

Think about the size of the needles and thread also??

Yup.  If you're thinking Cowboy machines.. the 227R or 341 might work?  I like a 69 thread (16 needle) on most wallet interiors and likely a 138 thread (20-22 needle) for most "outties".  From Bob 'n' friends' site:

cb.jpg

See post edit.

Edited by TaylorM

1 hour ago, Smartee said:

the 3200 can go up for thicker leathers but when I was trying them out my guy was able to dial it down to nicely sew 2 boot tops together - so not thick.  Now i'll be able to go thicker if I want and not be as limited as I would have been with the 341.

Right, this makes a lot of sense to me and is kind of my thinking when planning ahead. 

16 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Yup.  If you're thinking Cowboy machines.. the 227R or 341 might work?  I like a 69 thread (16 needle) on most wallet interiors and likely a 138 thread (20-22 needle) for most "outties".  From Bob 'n' friends' site:

cb.jpg

I can get the CB3200 for a better price than both of these. Is there any reason to go with these over the 3200?

1 minute ago, TaylorM said:

Is there any reason to go with these over the 3200?

The primary question is WHAT YOU WANT TO SEW.   If you're okay with sewing wallets with a #23 needle, then do that.  Just remember you cannot "dial down" a #23 needle...it makes the hole it makes.  And I have not seen needles smaller than that for the 3200 -- if they exist, then seems like some folks round these parts would like to know that.

At this point, I'm not in the market for another machine, nor do I gain anything at all from somebody else buying one - so -- perhaps I've gone deep as I need to :dunno:

Go try some of the machines out if you can.  If you plan to sew mostly wallets you are at the very lowest end of the CB 3200.  My first machine was a Cobra class 4.  I thought I could sew anything with it and easily go from light to heavy work, like wallets and bags to saddles and tack.  The adjustments were taking a lot of time and there was a lot of frustration.  I would suggest getting a machine that you are sewing in the mid range most of the time.  Cylinder arm is a plus in my book as well.  There are a lot of good machines out there.  Just another opinion.  

It is true that system 794 leather point needles are not available under #23/160. However, smaller sizes are available in system 7x3 round point. I bought a bunch of Orange branded round point needles in sizes 18 through 27. They come in useful if I sew webbing or cloth. The smaller sizes allow the Cowboy and Cobra 441 machines to sew with #69 and #92 bonded thread.

That said, these machines have heavy springs in the tension path and they need to be backed off in order to sew thin material. I wrote an extensive blog article about the process, called: Dumbing down a Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4, or similar harness stitcher. The same information applies to the Cowboy CB-3200 and even the bottom feed CB-2500.

40 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

true that system 794 leather point needles are not available under #23/160. ...system 7x3 round point. ...useful if I sew webbing or cloth.

Well, there ya go.  Not sure Wiz offers a recommend there, but smart money says if he and I say something different about sewing machines, go with what HE told ya ;)

5 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Well, there ya go.  Not sure Wiz offers a recommend there, but smart money says if he and I say something different about sewing machines, go with what HE told ya ;)

I understand what you are getting at though and you have helped me move forward in understanding more of what I want and what research I need to be doing to get what I want. The cowboy might be overkill, it was just recommended and I am new to all of this lingo in the sewing machine world. I am more so looking for a machine that will be more convenient for sewing wallets with a smaller hole and thread. So maybe something more geared towards 69-92. Do you guys recommend Techsew much? I see a lot of fellow leathercrafters in my world using those.

Edited by TaylorM

At this point in time, I am leaning more towards the TechSew 2700 or 2750 PRO. Unsure between the two. The 5100 would obviously be nicer but rather go with the lower cost for now, maybe. 

Edited by TaylorM

8 minutes ago, TaylorM said:

At this point in time, I am leaning more towards the TechSew 2750 PRO. The 5100 would obviously be nicer but rather go with the lower cost for now maybe. 

I think that would be a way better machine for the jobs. 1/2" capacity is good. Size 18 leather point needle which do not wander around going through the job and can still handle some pretty tough stuff as well. The 3" cylinder end is about my only reservation on the gusset work but smart designing will overcome most of that most of the time.

Edited by RockyAussie
bad sentence

I have the 3200 as my first machine and it is great. With that said I found a used flat bed machine for wallets. The 3200 wants to sew heavy leather and wallets can be a challenge on them.

If your main sewing need is for wallets and such, let me recommend a nice flatbed for your first machine. Wizcrafts has posted a fantastic thread on sewing machines read it here.

My PFAFF  145 (n) will eat 8 oz all day and is a dream on lighter wallet work.

This is only my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Them damned subliminal needle codes had to be orchestrated by someone with a demonic sense of humor. My 1st attempt to order any needles other than the 2 sizes Bob included with my machine was a hairline changer.