TaylorM

TechSew 2750 PRO vs. Cobra class 26

Warning: I am very new to all of this and am at a beginners level but have and am doing lots of research and starting to understand. I have so many thoughts. I’ve narrowed it down to this class though and I realize these are in the same this class and so if you can speak on the cowboy or juki too, that would be great. 

I am inclined to go with the TechSew due to many recommendations and most of the people I see having it. But I was given a better deal on the Cobra Class 26. I was given the deal probably for a reason (not selling like the TechSew does)... while the TechSew is out of stock. is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks on the cobra?

The TechSew doesn’t come with a speed reducer. Do I need it? The cobra does come with the speed reducer... I also really like the TechSew NPS system and laser guide. Does the Cobra come with an NPS system? 

Is there a reason to have one over the other? If so let me know!

Edited by TaylorM

Several models of most brand machines will have the eps, laser systems offered on the machines, usually for a more premium price. 

You can review the specs of each model your interested in and decide if it's worth the upcharge. 

As far as the speed reducer, and especially if this is your 1st industrial machine, it offers a couple advantages, obviously you will have better control also the gear reduction improves the penetrating torque 3 fold. 

As far as clones go, I'm a Cowboy fan because that's what I purchased and Bob at Toledo Industrial is well known for customer service, otherwise I expect probably not a tremendous amount of performance differential between the name brands. BTW, The vendors at the top of this page are top notch and can assist you and help guide you towards a machine to match any needs you may have. 

Cheers

Edited by Rodzhobyz
Misspelling

Machines with position sensors seem to have problems when reducers are between the motor and machine. Since the positioners can start and stop on a dime, you probably won't need a reducer if you learn to feather the foot pedal. Reducers always run at least 50% slower than direct to motor machines. Some run at 1/3rd the motor speed. These are easy to start and stop without too much of a learning curve.

You haven't said what you are planning on making mostly, thickness, thread size. Without knowing what you want to make it is hard to say what machine would be best, suiting your needs. It maybe that a flatbed would be better suited to your sewing needs.

kgg

Edited by kgg
correct sentence

8 minutes ago, kgg said:

You haven't said what you are planning on making mostly, thickness, thread size. Without knowing what you want to make it is hard to say what machine would be best suits your needs, it may be a flatbed would be better suited to the task.

kgg

To my understanding, this class of machines all suit the same type of work and support same thread sizes, etc. which is why I’m set on this class. They just have a few small differences here and there? Correct me if I’m wrong. Anyways, I am doing wallets and such. Hopefully on to bags in the near future. Nothing much bigger!

Edited by TaylorM

I have the Techsew 5100, with the position sensor and the laser .... I love the position sensor ..... rarely use the laser. 

9 minutes ago, dfrensdorff said:

I have the Techsew 5100, with the position sensor and the laser .... I love the position sensor ..... rarely use the laser. 

Great to know. Do you have a speed reducer?

My 4500 doesn't have the eps, but with the servo motor, speed reducer, I can easily stop the needle at any position, sew at an absolute crawl and speed up to any comfortable pace, but at full speed the machine will run faster than I care to sew anything. 

I'd say take the materials you normally work with and just experiment with each machine your interested in and buy what suits you best. 

5 minutes ago, TaylorM said:

Great to know. Do you have a speed reducer?

Yes I do .... 

11 minutes ago, Rodzhobyz said:

I'd say take the materials you normally work with and just experiment with each machine your interested in and buy what suits you best. 

Sadly, I do not have the ability to test out the machines. So this and the internet are my only outlets haha. 

Edited by TaylorM

Ahh, well, I probably wouldn't worry as much about which brand of basically the same machine, as much as buying from a reputable dealer who has properly set the machine up, test sewn and will be available to take care of you after the sale. 

Good luck!

I agree. As far as I can tell they are the same machine, the Techsew has extras which bumps up the price - laser guide (questionable value for most hobbyists), flat table attachment, swing down edge guide, needle positioner. It depends if you want/need these extras. If it were me buying it I would go with the Cowboy and save some money, particularly as it comes with a speed reducer, which I have learnt the value of and suit me much better than a needle positioner. Edge guides are cheap and easily fitted, and if you think you need a flat table attachment you can either make something up or buy the commercial unit later.

My opinion only, and probably not worth much.......:rolleyes:.

25 minutes ago, dikman said:

I agree. As far as I can tell they are the same machine, the Techsew has extras which bumps up the price - laser guide (questionable value for most hobbyists), flat table attachment, swing down edge guide, needle positioner. It depends if you want/need these extras. If it were me buying it I would go with the Cowboy and save some money, particularly as it comes with a speed reducer, which I have learnt the value of and suit me much better than a needle positioner. Edge guides are cheap and easily fitted, and if you think you need a flat table attachment you can either make something up or buy the commercial unit later.

My opinion only, and probably not worth much.......:rolleyes:.

+1 on all points. 

As far as the eps, while I'm sure I wouldn't have removed it had one came pre-installed on my CB, I can tell you that with the control the servo - speed reducer gives me, I will never be installing one and think it could even become a "crutch".  I don't expect a lot of eps's are finding their way into the shops of already experienced craftsmen's who have honed their stitching technique without such aids. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not leading any March against eps's, but for the expense they require, I'd much rather invest that $ in more tools / equipment. 

Cheers, Roger. 

7 hours ago, dikman said:

If it were me buying it I would go with the Cowboy and save some money, particularly as it comes with a speed reducer, ...Edge guides are cheap and easily fitted, and if you think you need a flat table attachment you can either

Uh, yeah - me too. The cowboy is $500 less ($650 when you consider the speed reducer already included) and has specs matching what he wants to make.

Drop down guide is $40 and installs with a couple screws.  My [only] cylinder machine came with a flatbed table add-on, but it's still in the bubble wrap it shipped in - never used it.

Not sure about availability of dealers in the guy's location, but Bob aint so far from KY, right?

I have not used a Cobra class 26 but I have used a class 20 flatbed machine and a class 4 and both are excellent.  I have a Juki 1508 NH flatbed machine and really like it as well but I believe the cylinder arm machine to be more versatile.  I think the Cobra 26 would be a good choice.  Speed reducer is also beneficial in my experience.   I have not used a laser or positioning sensor so I won't comment on that.