wydfuqnopn

time for the next level using computer software

Hello and thank you for participating in my forum.

I have been searching for some type of software, preferably the free kind but that isn't imperative, that I might use to create patterns and templates of my own that I might print out and then use to cut out the leather pieces and make it.

So what is everyone using now and where might I browse for it?  Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom.

-Steve  

8 minutes ago, wydfuqnopn said:

where might I browse for it?

Search for Pattern Making Software and/or Pattern Software on this site and you will see that this topic has been discussed many of the members. Since free isn't imperative, I use Adobe Illustrator. It has a high (subscription) price and a fairly steep learning curve, but, if you can get past that, it's a great program.

duh...thank you sir. adobe illustrator is way out of my league skills wise and time to learn it. I will search on here for it as you suggested. thank you

Edited by wydfuqnopn

If you are going to do anything for patterns that will bee exported (make acrylic templates, laser cutting, ect...) you will need a program that does cost a bit...

My suggestion: Fusion 360- FREE for hobbyists and small business applications, exportable file types, can render well (providing you built the model well)

Yes- its a steep learning curve and it is NOT intuitive to some... BUT- here is the best part- its a skill that once learned can be VERY transformative in your planning and execution of projects. 

If you already have patterns you wish to capture into a program- look for a 2D CAD or plotting software. 

Whatever program you choose- please make sure it exports in the file format(s) you will need. Nothing more savage than to try and get something laser cut and they charge you a fee for converting a file... or worse they cut your file and ALL the patterns are wrong due to file/data inconsistencies.

4 hours ago, wydfuqnopn said:

duh...thank you sir. adobe illustrator is way out of my league skills wise and time to learn it. I will search on here for it as you suggested. thank you

And seriously- all joking aside- its NOT out of your skill/time... if you need the tool or are serious about upping your game in leather (or in most shop projects)- then you will need to devote time to the things that will accelerate you. You can either 1- pay someone else to do it or 2- Learn to do it.  (I hated Fusion 360... but needed it to collaborate on other projects in my shop... After spending  dedicated 45-60 hours with it... Now I am able to do things I paid others to do in the past.)

fusion 360 and adobe illustrator is my goto 

There is a tutorial posted by Stetson912 here on the forum

http:// https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/82352-inkscape-and-pattern-making-1911-holster-tutorial/

He is using Inkspace (which is free) to create a pattern for a gun holster. It will give you some idea how that works.

There was also a link somewhere here for a online course on digital pattern making, I believe it was in the range of $35, but for the love of God I can not find it.

Furion 360 has one big advantage to hobby players in that you tube is full of video's teaching you how to learn it and whilst a highly complex software package the basics you need are quite simple to learn

Have a look at this guys lessons, he also works for them https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fusion+360+for+beginners

Please not there are newer versions so the screen does change some features from time to time but all the functions are still there but you may need to look for them

Edited by chrisash

I started learning to use Inkscape a few days ago. It's free and appears to be quite powerful. There is also a learning curve with it but there are many videos on youtube that walk you through the relevant steps.

Inkscape is free, very popular, VERY powerful and has lots of YouTube tutorials.
I'd suggest getting the Fusion 360 (free version) and Inkscape and try them both.  Do 2-3 tutorials for each and see which suits you. Personally, I use Coredraw as we also do custom screen and sublimation printing. I learned it fairly easily, but I had tried Adobe Illustrator and had a mental block with it for some reason.

Seconding the use of inkscape.Loads of tutorials & facebook groups.I also have a laser cutter/engraver so combine it with k40 whisperer.

It cuts out patterns nicely & engraves veg tan leather well.I also combine leather & wood on some items but could easily cut the keyrings from leather.

20200511_144024sm.jpg

20200511_144036.jpg

20200524_162306sm.jpg

20200524_162322sm.jpg

Keyrings.

20200427_180315sm.jpg