Leslie415

Singer 153W101 bobbin case is stuck

Just bought a Singer 153w101. Got it forming stitches finally (I know, but I really wanted it and it was a good deal) and sewing pretty smoothly. BUUUUUT

One problem still remains: bobbin doesn’t come out easily and case doesn’t come out at all. To get the bobbin out, I have to slide a thin screwdriver under it and lift it out.  Wondering if the case was replaced with the wrong size. No sign of thread stuck but I know sometimes small pieces can be doozies. I removed screws on bobbin case and rotated it to try and remove it but no luck. 

QUESTION: should I just let it be if it’s sewing ok?? Any ideas how to remove the case if that’s recommended?

thanks!

Leslie

I think you're right, it could well be the wrong size. I'd get it sorted in case you do any damage to the machine . 

HS

I do not have a 153w but a 111G156 - same bobbin and identical hook. The bobbin case has a small "lifter" on the center post which should lift the bobbin when you open the bobbin case latch and this small lifter sometimes it even literally "throws out" the bobbin - not always but sometimes. It may depend on the bobbin and how well it is "designed" or if the lifter is worn or...  A small work around is an anti backslash spring / bobbin case spring. They are made of very very thin spring steel. You can adjust the spring by bending it carefully and it is not adding a significant amount of tension. You put it in the bobbin case and it prevents the bobbin from backlash when sewing at higher speed and it also lifts out the bobbin a bit more - at least in my case.

The spring I´m using is Singer Parts #108308

Some pictures:

IMG_0872.thumb.JPG.ccb0cc8964c3feecff3a334e848328de.JPGIMG_0874.thumb.JPG.3358a3c01d191e4a5d5e37c3ae8980a2.JPGIMG_0873.thumb.JPG.d9831d807b6eb30baed7107f1eabab63.JPGIMG_0875.thumb.JPG.f714932a4b845c5caee914002b0c2289.JPG

Thanks for comments. Lifter is there—just doesn’t work to lift bobbin out. I never knew that’s what that spring part was for—my other machine has one. I’ll order one so I don’t have to continue to use the screwdriver method! So you think I should just leave the case in place for now (and put spring under bobbin)?

thanks,

Leslie

Edited by Leslie415

if removing the bobbin form the bobbin case is the only issue - yes.

If you want to remove the bobbin case from the hook remove the needle plate,  remove the curved pice that holds the bobbin case in place (held by 2 screws), then lift the latch and hold it with your fingers and pull it slightly upward and then either spin the bobbin case or rotate the hand wheel until the bobbin case comes out. There is only one spot where the bobbin case comes out and goes back in again.

I do not recall where my springs came from but they came in an original Singer bag. These springs are avail. in different shapes and from different Mgf´s

JFTC you cannot find the 108308 springs this is another sample:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=490468+

Edited by Constabulary

Many thanks for the detailed instructions! I will try to remove the case.

Leslie

Make sure not to drop the two tiny screws.....they vanish.

You ain’t kidding! I tried removing the bobbin once before I got these detailed instructions and I was sweating up a storm worrying they would go bye-bye.

I find that keeping a small blob of plasticene near me ( to stick them onto ) when I'm taking things like that apart..and using magnetised tools helps when wrangling all small assemblies..You can demagnetise the tools later if you need to..and remagnetise them again next time.