rktaylor

Hamley Prairie Rose

I am needing a Hamley Prairie Rose (five petal) stamp for an upcoming project. I know the McMillen stamps are coveted and hard to come by. I checked with several tool dealers with no success. Barry King is making a replica, but does not have an estimated completion date. I have a Tandy version, but it lacks the clarity and definition that I prefer. If anyone has one that they are willing to sell/loan/rent, please let me know. Also any tips on where I should look are appreciated.

Randy

Jeremiah Watt, Horseshoe brand tools,  either his website or Weaver leather.   If I were closer, I would make you a deal on one. 

Edited by Ken Nelson

I have a bunch of stamps, but I don't know what that one looks like to tell you if I have one or not.  Does it have a number, or do you have a photo of one?

YinTx

3 hours ago, Ken Nelson said:

Jeremiah Watt, Horseshoe brand tools,  either his website or Weaver leather.

I looked in Weaver's catalog and didn't see one. I'll check the web page.

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

Does it have a number, or do you have a photo of one?

Here's the Tandy version along with a Tandy basket weave in the bottom. I would like one with the definition of the Clay Miller basket weave in the center. I didn't get the number before I came in the house.

Thanks for the help,

Randy

IMG_20200206_195509763.jpg

Totally get what you are saying - have the Tandy version of that stamp, and the definition SUCKS unless you hit the thing with a carpenter's hammer!  Even then: :deadsubject:

So here's what I have, don't know if it is better or worse than what you have.  They are older stamps.  top to bottom:

Craftool Co. USA W818, W532, W531, and a stamp with no identification.  Not sure the stamping is representative of what they are capable of:  I waited all of 10 seconds after spritzing water on a piece of belly veg tan and went to work.

YinTx

Hamlin.thumb.jpg.25c929b03ea98eae9d31b59af342afdd.jpg

Ranch2arena, Mr. Watts web site,   8 petal flower ,  about $65. that is the knock off of the Daisey Mae Hamley  stamp.  HTH

Thanks YinTx. I have the 532. It lacks the crisp imprint that I want. 

Ken, I found those stamps this morning. I've never used JW stamps. Is it fair to assume they are comparable to Barry King or Clay Miller? It looks like the best option for now.

Randy

Randy,

I'm not very good at this, but maybe you can succeed.  Take a Dremel  Tool and modify the stamp yourself.  I've made my own geometric stamps and I've modified some round stamps.  If it doesn't work, you are only out the Dremel cost and the cost of the practice stamp.  Both items may equal the cost of one really good stamp.  One of the best stamps for BW impressions that I have is Lonnie Height's  (forgive spelling).  Hidecrafter stamp impressions are also good for an inexpressive stamp, but their shanks bend over time. I'm on my 3rd. HC- BW, but the impression can't be beat.  Anyway, I hope what you can find out there works for you.  Good Luck.

Ron

How big a hurry are you in? I've got my five petals loaned out and he's about two months from being done. 

Ron and Ken,

I have a lot of tools from Lonnie and Clay. All are high quality.

Bruce,

I appreciate the offer. I am probably a month away from needing it. I'll check with you when it gets closer.

Randy