pedalpower

Singer 29-4 not working properly

I recently purchased this Singer 29-4 and I'm having some problems.

The pressor foot will not raise up as it steps forward. It seems that there is a problem with the piece next to the arrow. 

From what I can tell it should be attached to the piece above it but I'm not sure how.

Maybe somethings broken?? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_1877.thumb.jpeg.0b34c7babe9d4d05cbbeef159edb3a4d.jpeg

please show a picture of the backside of your machine - I have an assumption ;)

BTW - the pin that attaches the needle bar seem to be kind of "oddly" modified. A few more pictures of your machine may be helpful.

Have you tried moving the stitch length adjuster to a different position, 

It could be just the picture, but every moving part I see in that shot looks dirty and dry. It could be holding out for a cleaning and re-oiling.

-DC

Check the back of the head for a sliding block with a thumbscrew adjuster that rides along the front end of the long leaf pressure spring. That block gets pushed up my a lever as you operate the machine. If the block isn't at or near the spot where the spring is cut down from wide to narrow, it can't lift the foot.

Thanks for everyone's response.

I've moved the stitch length adjuster and sliding block with the thumbscrew. Neither one made any difference.

I do plan to clean and oil it.

I'm trying to upload more pictures but continue to get a message stating that I'm exceeding the limit.

Edited by pedalpower

Hi There, The part you pointed to in the picture that is broken is the problem, that is why your foot is not lifting. You will need to find another part the same.IMG_1877.jpeg.247baaf296fe6ef1ae552fae3bebe0db.jpeg

Oh and that leather disk on the tension disks goes underneath to raise the disks up a little so when it is down the disks are flat and not tilted.

Edited by jimi

Hi; I'm new to this forum, and I'm seeking help with a similar problem with a 29K60 that was given to me. The walking foot moves forward and aft but does not raise up between stitches. I've replaced the cutlet that Pedalpower's arrow is pointing at, the feeding foot bar is secured to it, I've adjusted the the foot tension up and down multiple times to no avail, removed the bell crank and feeding motion ring and checked them for sloppyness (there dosen't seem be any at all), and yet I can't get the foot to raise up and walk.I will say that the bell crank is not at a 90 degree angle, is it supposed to be, could that be part of my problem? Can anyone help me with something I might be missing. Thank you in advance

Edited by Superduty
forgotten info

23 hours ago, Superduty said:

Hi; I'm new to this forum, and I'm seeking help with a similar problem with a 29K60 that was given to me. The walking foot moves forward and aft but does not raise up between stitches. I've replaced the cutlet that Pedalpower's arrow is pointing at, the feeding foot bar is secured to it, I've adjusted the the foot tension up and down multiple times to no avail, removed the bell crank and feeding motion ring and checked them for sloppyness (there dosen't seem be any at all), and yet I can't get the foot to raise up and walk.I will say that the bell crank is not at a 90 degree angle, is it supposed to be, could that be part of my problem? Can anyone help me with something I might be missing. Thank you in advance

This topic belongs to Pedalpower. Please start a new topic about your machine. Be prepared to upload photos.

On 2/9/2020 at 5:34 PM, pedalpower said:

I'm trying to upload more pictures but continue to get a message stating that I'm exceeding the limit.

check out the instructions/sites listed here

Tom

I was able to press fit the washer and get this issue resolved. 

Next problem is the shaft is bent. 
I got the balanced wheel removed. 
I got the needle cam partially removed but its now stuck on the bent shaft. 

A couple questions I have.
What is keeping the shaft in the machine? How do I remove it? 
How do I determine which shaft I need?The 8678 or the 33515  

E2B1301A-7A5A-453A-8832-081E84582F79.thumb.jpeg.5a8cb787c6367354326bc30505101560.jpeg

1 hour ago, pedalpower said:

What is keeping the shaft in the machine? How do I remove it? 
How do I determine which shaft I need?The 8678 or the 33515  

shaft goes out to the right & there is a cam inside the machine you have to remove the tapered pin which fixes the cam on the shaft then try to hammer out the shaft from left to right. But can could be stuck / gummed / rusted in place and putting the cam back on is not easy.

The parts # of the shaft should be stamped on the shaft you may find it when you have removed it ;)

Finding parts for the 29-4 will be a challenge most likely. If it was my machine I would not invest money it it, I´d strip the parts and sell them and look for a better condition & later model 29K machine. Looks like the machine is pretty much beaten up... broken ring, bent shaft, odd pin on the needle bar.... wondering what other issues it has.

EDIT:

if you really want to restore this machine and need parts check with pilgrim shoe machines - afaik they can make obsolete parts

http://www.pilgrimshoemachine.com/

these folks also sell (I guess used) 29-4 parts:

http://www.horsenharness.com/SINGER.html

Or better sell them your machine or the striped parts. ;)

Edited by Constabulary

The machine was not maintained, hence the dirt and built up grease. 
I got it working and it creates some pretty good stitches. It just needs fine tuning and for me to learn how to use it. 

I searched for a long time to find one locally with no luck. All of the ones I that I found for sale were thousands of miles away and nobody is willing to ship. 
This one was located across the country but happened to be near my friend. He picked it up, packed it, and shipped it. 
Now that I have it I just need to get a few things to get it working perfectly. 

Does this part need to be removed as well? Does it have a tapered pin?

BDB9E381-7182-46A3-822B-B860A16BDC3E.jpeg.cdda72bf90cf739a4040ab6f67d4aa24.jpeg

Edited by pedalpower

Thousand of miles? Where are you located?

I thought it was obvious as it is on the left side of the shaft but yes you have to remove it. Yes, it has a tapered pin too.

(@Constabulary) Harris finally retired, Pilgrim is no more... I think Wes(?) at Shoe Systems Plus picked up a lot of Pilgrim inventory, unfortunately he told me most of the patcher inventory went to metal recycler. What a loss.