JLSleather

Ads at the top ... $?

How much them ads up there? By the month?  By the quarter year?  I forgot about em til somebody mentioned yesterday.. ad blocker had em turned off so long I forgot that was there!

So, I did wonder.. how much money to pay for ads, to sell stuff to you boys n girls, so I can use YOUR money from profit from the markup to buy more ads, to sell you more stuff.  Seems like a good way to go, right?  Basically, get YOU to pay for the ads that sell YOU stuff :thumbsup:

Nah.. maybe another time. Still, somethin' ta think bout, right?

10 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Still, somethin' ta think bout, right?

It provides us with this no-cost forum to discuss things that matter... leather working.Now I think about that all the time.

16 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

no-cost forum to discuss things

Obviously.  If you want to shoot fish in a barrel, ya gotta have a barrel! :rofl:

40 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Obviously.  If you want to shoot fish in a barrel, ya gotta have a barrel! :rofl:

Back off @JLSleather.  Members don't appreciate your negativity.  Getting several complaints.

Tom

Hey JLS Didnt you use to be a Contributing member? Maybe you should Donate money to the Group again and you wont be THREATENED. I wonder what level you have to Donate to have some Moderators in your Pocket. it might be a good investment to make 

Hello

correct me if I am wrong, its up to you the viewer of the site if you want to click on the ads or not. And again, its up to you once you have clicked on the add if you want purchase from them. 

JCUK

20 minutes ago, jcuk said:

if you want to click on the ads or not.

I was talking about BUYING ads, not reading them.  Guess I'm cured of that :o

36 minutes ago, wayner said:

JLS Didnt you use to be a Contributing member?

Just one time if I remember right.  But with 80,000 members and 78,000 of them NOT blue, I figured it wasn't my turn yet ;)

As far as I am concerned I could care less how much they are paying, and more importantly, it is none of my business. I hope those that are responsible for this forum are making enough to make it worth a while. I am sure it takes a substantial time commitment, and nothing in the world that says a they shouldn't be compensated. That comment about being a contributing member getting a moderator in their pocket is pure bull shit. I have been a contributing member ever since I joined this forum and have never felt I was owed anything. The moderator's function is maintaining the integrity of this platform. We have people from all over the world participating making it enjoyable and informative for everyone involved. There have been too many knowledgeable people quit participating due to the negativity that can show its head. Keep up the good work Joanna, Northmount and all of the rest you that have a role in maintaining this site Thank you Terry

I have nothing to add that will help.

I just want to say JLS's humor is twisted, inappropriate and at times demented just like mine. 

I thought the Forum was much more friendly and amiable when JLS took his hiatus a couple of years ago over getting his feelings hurt. During that snit he wanted all of his content pulled from the Forum, too.

I dislike the cute little digs and epithets, and being so damn condescending. His work is impeccable but bitching over and over again about not, being able to easily get super duper leather any longer and how hobbyists will neve be able to see the differences in very good and crappy shoulders and sides (no bellies), and if they do and can't afford to buy 20 hides at once, they can't relate to his anguish and the offense. Or how he goes on for a week about not getting exactly what he wants or expects off of an inter-web site. Or holding a grudge against any vendor that disappointed his ultra high, perceived standards.

I researched the  top quality leather situation and it's not just Springfield or Wickett & Craig or H,O, it's worldwide, mostly because emerging economies are using more and more quality leather, for shoes and belts and clothing, they have an opportunity to afford now. And less and less people are eating the quantity of meat they used to, thus diminishing the availability. Tried a veggie-Whopper lately?

I very much enjoy seeing Jeff's work but I can't stand the rants. I know I don't have to read them and I could delete his ubiquitous posts but I do enjoy constructive threads that the shared, usable advise and shortcuts. No use doing everything the hard way because you don't know what you don't know!

Sorry for my rant but I just had to add  my piece!

Just saying!

jr

Edited by JREESER1

Jreeser, I have to agree with you! 

Well SHOOOOOOT!  Did you folk know that there's an "ignore user" link on just about everybody on here?  I seen it a jillion times, never paid it no mind.  

But I jsut tried it - works good.  Cut out what ya don't wanna see/read.  Click a button, and ya don't see what ya dont wanna see.  Serious - no kiddin...

Perfect example of what people are talking about, more ranting and raving about nothing!  I am sure JLS is a very talented guy, makes fantastic holsters and probably other items that I haven’t seen but really why all the attitude, ranting and raving about things! Most people don’t care about your or anyone else’s problems, you might try Dear Abby!

On 2/9/2020 at 2:25 PM, terrymac said:

There have been too many knowledgeable people quit participating due to the negativity that can show its head.

Maybe, but a number of those people have moved onto dispensing their knowledge in a paid platform, such as live classes, website based classes and programs.

Just a thought.

This thread cracks me up you have people complaining about someone complaining about vendors, or other things . You have members using profanity in there posts . But hey as long as your part of the click who cares right? I thought we were all adults here ! 

Can someone please advise me as to where the group Rules are posted for this Forum. I have Searched and not been able to find them. Also how do you become a contributing member? I cant seem to find that ether. 

Thanks in Advance

50 minutes ago, wayner said:

Can someone please advise me as to where the group Rules are posted for this Forum. I have Searched and not been able to find them. Also how do you become a contributing member? I cant seem to find that ether. 

Thanks in Advance

There is a sidebar on the right hand side, just scroll down a ways.  It says 'Support This Site' and you can choose your amount.  You receive some special permissions (functionality) with the contribution as extra incentive.

Regarding rules, there is no specific, detailed list of rules on here that I'm aware of.  I searched just now and I found that there are rules set up in the 'Marketplace' section of the forum with conditions for those wanting to sell there.

There is also the 'Announcements and Administrivia' section where there are some topics that sort of apply.  Johanna has a sticky thread there on 'How You Can Help Leatherworker.net'.  There is also a FAQ section and again, Johanna lists some goals for the site.

I have a suggestion.  There is a section of the forum called 'All About Us and Off Topic'.  Perhaps that is a good place to hang out if you want to rant.  In fact, it is mentioned in the description of the forum.

"We all have real lives. Share a birthday message, wish holiday greetings, post links of interest for IRL (in real life) stuff. Rant and rave, any subject. Congratulate a soldier, mourn a loss, share a laugh, a comment, some wisdom. We're more than leatherworkers, we're people with jobs, families, hobbies, happy times, sad times. General discussion of any topic, leather related or not."

Personally, I like the fact that there aren't any hard-and-fast, oppressive rules here.  We are given the freedom to act as mature adults and for the most part, police ourselves.  That is why some posters will chime in and ask others to cool it.  When necessary, the moderators do.

In general, it is always good to remember that the printed word is often misinterpreted.  Using capital letters, as has been pointed out, means nothing to some and to others it is very offensive.  Using slang, slurs and other devices to try to be funny or cute doesn't usually go over well either.  

People should be able to express themselves, but when others are offended and shy away from certain users, topics or just leave, it is a shame.  And could be avoided.

If you do a search on topics you will see names on here that were very active contributors and no, they didn't all leave for paid gigs.  Very few did, I'm sure.  The reasons for leaving are many.  Loss of interest, change in career, didn't find helpful information anymore, didn't like the content, whatever.  

I can only speak for myself but there are a couple of issues that set me off.  One is taking shots at suppliers.  The discussion is usually one-sided.  The purchaser is often equally to blame for an issue, or at least contributed to the situation but seldom take ownership of it.  And in several instances here, they didn't seek remedy from the supplier at all, just couldn't wait to jump on here and complain.  I guess it helps them to vent.  Maybe they should go do that in the 'All About Us and Off Topic section?'  A section I will never frequent.

So that's my suggestion.  There is a place on this forum that is designed for folks to "rant and rave" so go for it!

Edited by Tugadude

40 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

There is a sidebar on the right hand side, just scroll down a ways.  It says 'Support This Site' and you can choose your amount.  You receive some special permissions (functionality) with the contribution as extra incentive.

Regarding rules, there is no specific, detailed list of rules on here that I'm aware of.  I searched just now and I found that there are rules set up in the 'Marketplace' section of the forum with conditions for those wanting to sell there.

There is also the 'Announcements and Administrivia' section where there are some topics that sort of apply.  Johanna has a sticky thread there on 'How You Can Help Leatherworker.net'.  There is also a FAQ section and again, Johanna lists some goals for the site.

I have a suggestion.  There is a section of the forum called 'All About Us and Off Topic'.  Perhaps that is a good place to hang out if you want to rant.  In fact, it is mentioned in the description of the forum.

"We all have real lives. Share a birthday message, wish holiday greetings, post links of interest for IRL (in real life) stuff. Rant and rave, any subject. Congratulate a soldier, mourn a loss, share a laugh, a comment, some wisdom. We're more than leatherworkers, we're people with jobs, families, hobbies, happy times, sad times. General discussion of any topic, leather related or not."

Personally, I like the fact that there aren't any hard-and-fast, oppressive rules here.  We are given the freedom to act as mature adults and for the most part, police ourselves.  That is why some posters will chime in and ask others to cool it.  When necessary, the moderators do.

In general, it is always good to remember that the printed word is often misinterpreted.  Using capital letters, as has been pointed out, means nothing to some and to others it is very offensive.  Using slang, slurs and other devices to try to be funny or cute doesn't usually go over well either.  

People should be able to express themselves, but when others are offended and shy away from certain users, topics or just leave, it is a shame.  And could be avoided.

If you do a search on topics you will see names on here that were very active contributors and no, they didn't all leave for paid gigs.  Very few did, I'm sure.  The reasons for leaving are many.  Loss of interest, change in career, didn't find helpful information anymore, didn't like the content, whatever.  

I can only speak for myself but there are a couple of issues that set me off.  One is taking shots at suppliers.  The discussion is usually one-sided.  The purchaser is often equally to blame for an issue, or at least contributed to the situation but seldom take ownership of it.  And in several instances here, they didn't seek remedy from the supplier at all, just couldn't wait to jump on here and complain.  I guess it helps them to vent.  Maybe they should go do that in the 'All About Us and Off Topic section?'  A section I will never frequent.

So that's my suggestion.  There is a place on this forum that is designed for folks to "rant and rave" so go for it!

Well said friend ! If a person needs a set of "rules" to act like a decent human being, or respect another person then its not saying much. I understand that a guy can get frustrated but they still need to control themselves and have respect for others, its something the new modern society has been taught not to do, gotta have them gubmint rules cause personal morals, respect  or values are not taught in school or by the babysitter. Why the penal system is alive and well in merica! And why I quit face book! Good luck folks don't beat the guy to hard or your no different, we don't know why he is who he is. Some here know the story of throwing the first stone, I sure cant do it!

Thanks for the Information Tugadude about becoming a contributing member i knew i saw it somewhere before but couldnt find it.

You are very welcome!  Happy to help.

Simple really .....to me anyways. Those ads at the top are one of the reasons that Joanna the owner of this site is able to let thousands of people including myself and JLS to come and get whatever it is we get out of coming and posting on here. Some have over the years been privileged to do this thousands of times and for this I have to thank Joanna, Wiz and Nortmount in particular. What a job having to keep an eye open for any that may want to tear this all down and post stuff for all the world to see when ever they sleep or are otherwise distracted. Their tolerance for this is way beyond my own and a good reason why I would never make a suitable moderator. Because I am a follower I have seen one section of this thread deleted already and that was a disgraceful rant I must say. It is still in my notification emails. 

To put this another way ....A person comes to dinner whenever they like have a feed and say whatever at no cost and then feel the right to poo on the dining room floor right next to their chair, cause the toilet is tooo far down the hallway and is painted the wrong colour. That's alright though cause they are important.

Normally I wont touch anything political or religious and other stuff like that but when you talk about stuffing up one of the few things in life I enjoy along with others I will bite.  If you want to go off and start your own website and rant.... go ahead and I would be interested to see how you handle it when your members go about destroying it.

10 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I contribute but nowt changed for me  :(

I agree 100% with what RockyAussie just posted..and was so tempted to post virtually the same thing 48 hours ago..

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Simple really .....to me anyways. Those ads at the top are one of the reasons that Joanna the owner of this site is able to let thousands of people including myself and JLS to come and get whatever it is we get out of coming and posting on here. Some have over the years been privileged to do this thousands of times and for this I have to thank Joanna, Wiz and Nortmount in particular. What a job having to keep an eye open for any that may want to tear this all down and post stuff for all the world to see when ever they sleep or are otherwise distracted. Their tolerance for this is way beyond my own and a good reason why I would never make a suitable moderator. Because I am a follower I have seen one section of this thread deleted already and that was a disgraceful rant I must say. It is still in my notification emails. 

To put this another way ....A person comes to dinner whenever they like have a feed and say whatever at no cost and then feel the right to poo on the dining room floor right next to their chair, cause the toilet is tooo far down the hallway and is painted the wrong colour. That's alright though cause they are important.

Normally I wont touch anything political or religious and other stuff like that but when you talk about stuffing up one of the few things in life I enjoy along with others I will bite.  If you want to go off and start your own website and rant.... go ahead and I would be interested to see how you handle it when your members go about destroying it.

I've been on the internet since it's infancy and even before..Found out recently that Wiz and I have been members of the same pro webmaster forum for maybe 15 years or so..

I have always known some basic rules on fora..and before the public internet on usenet and BB..

They are ..

You challenge a mod publicly = instant permanent ban..no excuses..htaccess bounces your IP to dev null or anywhere but "here"

You cast aspersions about the probity of a mod or the site's owner or an admin = instant permanent ban..htaccess bounces your IP to dev null or anywhere but "here".

You insinuate that mods can be "bought" = instant permanent ban..htaccess bounces your IP to dev null or anywhere but "here".

You persistently diss advertisers ( or an advertiser ) who keep the lights on = instant permanent ban..htaccess bounces your IP to dev null or anywhere but "here".

You persistently make snide sexist , or rascist or homophobic etc remarks ( trolling ) under the disguise of only joking or freedom of speech = instant permanent ban..htaccess bounces your IP to dev null or anywhere but "here".

You want to do that ..there is 8 chan. et al..

( btw..IME anyone who finds it necessary to constantly make homophobic remarks always makes me think ..who are they trying to convince that they are "straight" )..I don't care what sex or anyone prefers..But I do object to constant snide about what might be others preferences..

In my sites or those I have modded or admined over the years ..that kind of snide = instant permanent ban..htaccess bounces your IP to dev null or anywhere but "here".

Religion ? I'm atheist..Brought up like most Southern Irish to be RC ..I have friends from all religions..I only have a problem with the bigots and the haters and the extremists..Like Brian ..I stay out of "religious"..some one "believes"..they"believe"..( whatever ) if it helps them...as long as they do not try to insist that I , or others do too..I'm not going to burst their balloon..

I actually think it is a shame that the thread was modded ( although I understand perfectly why the mods did so ) because the posts by JLS and "his disciple" showed just how toxic and defamatory and egotistical he has become..not for the first time..Plus it would have shown anyone that might have been a potential customer of the guy , and who searched his "name" exactly what kind of person they were dealing with..

Being a supporter does not give JLS or anyone the right to shit on Johanna's rug..to challenge the mods and admins..and to diss advertisers ( without whom this venue would not exist )..The "pushing of the limits"  has gone on waaay too long..

( Let it pass this time..again..it will begin again..with cheerleaders..and you mods may not catch it before the search engines , or the wayback machine..put it into permanent memory..or it crosses a line and someone, Johanna? gets sued )

Anyone who does or did that (JLS or anyone the right to shit on Johanna's rug..to challenge the mods and admins..and to diss advertisers ( without whom this venue would not exist ), or "cheerleadered" it should have been  = instant permanent ban..htaccess bounces their IP to dev null or anywhere but "here"..

Because ..you don't cut out the Toxic rot..it spreads..which at least one of the comments which was cut demonstrated..

I posted far less for a while because of it , and similar..( and not because I run "paid for" elsewhere, ) and didn't say anything..because internet of rule # 1 "Do Not Feed the Troll"..

Johanna ..I know Wiz knows how to write an IP ban( I think maybe others here do ) ..But if Wiz is busy..I'll happily send one via pm..with foolproof proxy bans ..

I was so tempted to send more or less this message to Johanna  and all mods via pm during the past few days since this thread showed up..It must be so disheartening for mods ( no surprise that some mods who have been attacked, impugned by the same poster now post rarely ) to put up with the kind of crap that was posted and then cut..I thought I might be a lone voice..But tugadude ( with whom I have not always seen "eye to eye"..but major respects for speaking out guy :) and finally RockyAussie, for whom I have the most immense respect..posted what I have been thinking..

So..I signed in to post..

2 replies showing since I began typing..haven't yet read them..I type slowly..

Edited by mikesc
typos..probably missed some more.

mikesc Buddy if your calling me JLS's Disciple you are sadly mistaken . here in America we have what ius called FREEDOM of Speech! and you are right you are not a Moderator , this Thread had all but Died down until you stirred the pot again. I do have a question for you. Does it make you feel like a Big man to use Profanity in your Comment. 

Have a Nice Life