Davidgbaron

Consew 206rb1, will it work?

Hey there, I have the opportunity to purchase a consew 206rb1 for my leatherwork but am not sure if it will be sufficient for what I do? The machine is $1000 and comes with a table, servo, etc. I do lots of smaller leatherwork project, specifically lots of belts, spur straps, headstalls, and items like that. They are typically two pieces of veg tanned leather lined together and roughly 13oz thick, and no more than 15 oz. will this machine suffice and be able to handle those items? Thanks. 

The 206rb-1 will sew 20oz of leather.  I think it's rated for 3/8" thick material, but tends to be one of the more robust upholstery class walking foot machines.  I have one in my shop that looks like a time capsule machine.  So shiny and pretty but it hasn't been used much.  I guess I prefer the top-loading machines.  My Juki 563 is the one getting used right now.  

Good luck with your decision.  

I use my Consew 206rb-1 all the time, and I have maxed it out a lot sewing 3/8" veg tan materials. It will sew what you mentioned without hesitation. 

@Pintodeluxe Thanks a bunch for your input and advice! Do you think $1000 is a fair price? Here is a link to the machine 

https://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/d/denver-consew-206-rb1-industrial-sewing/7067789749.html

@Colt W Knight Thanks Colt. Do you think that $1000 is a fair price? The link to the machine is above. 

Edited by Davidgbaron

Looks good, but I've seen them for a little less from time to time. My only concern would be that servo motor. The ones I've seen with that knob on the front can vary the speed with the pedal pressure. The knob sets the top speed. The pedal is just on or off.  You might want to ask the seller. Since it was installed by a commercial place, they may have a different version or had modified it.

All my servos have a knob to adjust the speed.  They are variable speed and easy to control.  A test drive would tell it all.  

I run 1/“4 to 3/8 pretty regular on mine. A really great machine especially for the money. Mine was a one owner who sew heavy drapes out of her home. Looks and sews like new. I gave $500. But had to change out the motor to a servo . Extra $120.  

Edited by klutes

In my opinion... $1000 is not a terrible price but it is at the high end of the price range for that machine. $700-800 is where I would want to be for that machine. But I am always looking for really good deals.

51 minutes ago, Pintodeluxe said:

All my servos have a knob to adjust the speed.  They are variable speed and easy to control.  A test drive would tell it all.  

Cool. That's why I suggested checking :rolleyes:
When I was looking at a new Consew 226 at a local dealer, it had the servo with the knob. I saw several like that, but this one was the main one I remember was on or off and not variable.

I appreciate everyone’s input! It really helped out a bunch. I think I’m going to make a reasonable offer on the machine and see if I can’t get it in the shop this weekend. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions, thanks again. 

I have to agree. That machine is worth $1000 in great condition used, but its on the high side of the market. I bought mine for 450$ in heavily used condition, and I considered that a real bargain. 

A consew 1206 is 1095$ new

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/consew-p1206rb.html

I just bought a one owner 206rb (SInger 531B) for $500 in great shape.  I paid a couple hundred to switch to a servo motor, and speed reducer, and swing down roller guide.  The machine will sew through 13oz of leather (I build bridles and horse tack) with no problem.