Tross

Consew 206 tensioner doesn't seem right

Hi All,

I purchased an old Singer (Seiko made Consew 206rb) and replaced the top tension assembly.The thread keeps hopping off of the bottom wheel.  Is the thread supposed to be on the silver sprocket , or behind it like these pics?  Also, it doesn't seem to 'pop' into the  wire hoop piece anymore.  Should the thread be inside the wire loop (spring) or below it like in these pics?  Thanks so much for your help!!!!

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Forgot to mention.  This is Nylon 138 thread from Weaver.  The thread seems a little stiff.

The thread should be inside the silver colored guide. "Between the silver disks". Then it will snap over the finger when you pull it up.

I know this has probably been asked and answered, but I can't find it.  Thanks everyone for your help!!!! I really need help!   I have a couple more questions:

1.  Are there 'starting out' settings for the top tensioner and the bottom tensioner (bobbin case)?

2. To get nice straight edges, should I be using a left presser foot and roller guide, or one of the presser feet with the flange on the right side?

3.  Same question as number 2, except with scalloped leather like a cheek piece on a bridle?

4.  The presser foot leaves indents on the leather.  This is english bridle leather, 8oz with 4 oz backing?  I have played with the screw about half way back on the machine to adjust this but it doisn't seem to be doing much.  Is there a spring or something in there that could be worn out?

JJN,

So the thread should be inside the wire finger, not outside like it is in these pics?

JJN,

The thread doesn't seem to want to 'snap' over the finger.  How do I adjust this?  Thanks again everyone!!!!

Make sure you hold the thread supply so when you pull to get the thread to snap over the finger it doesn't just pull more thread through.

0210201639.jpg

Also, do not put the thread over the little post that keeps the tension disks from spinning. The thread goes between the tension disks then down around the silver thread guide and past the finger. It should then be under the check spring.

I'm wondering if I need more torque on the Thread controller spring?  If you loosen the Tension thumb nut, and then turn the Thread controller stud, it give the Thread controller spring more or less torque.

It is probably a good idea to get it threaded correctly first before you start making adjustments. See how it stitches on some scrap. Make sure you have the proper thread needle combination too. If you have problems making good stitches, then identify the cause and make adjustments accordingly.

Question: Why did you replace the tension assembly? If you have the original assembly, it may be a better part.

Edited by JJN

It sewed well before.  138 Nylon thread with correct chisel point needle.  The Tension thumb screw on the top tensioner was stripped.  So this is whats happening:

When I thread the machine, the thread pops around the little hook on the back of the Thread controller disc. When I start to sew, the thread goes right back over that hook, (where it's in the middle  of the chrome wheels of the Thread controller disc), and then pops out of the Thread controller disc, and tangles in something.

I squeezed the back plate on the Thread tensioner disk with  pliers to close the gap between the hook and the plate a little and now it works.  I will order parts from Singer or Seiko or Consew from now on.