Last Christmas I gave my nephew an Amazon gift card. Like a typical red-blooded 9 year old boy he bought himself a 10" bowie knife! :D

So I told him I'd make a sheath for it. I came up with this design myself. It took a few iterations on paper and card stock. This was a few firsts for me. First knife sheath, first real tooling work, and first time air brushing. All of the dye was airbrushed. I probably should have used a darker color for the sunburst.

I learned a few things for sure.

• I added a welt, but I think it's too thin on the sharp side. It's a tight fit, but I'm hoping it will loosen up over time.
  • I glued it up before sewing on the back strap. I had to split the seam to get that sewed on. I need to keep order of operations in mind.
  • I could have done the tooling process much differently. I just made it up as I went along with no real plan.

I'm pretty happy with it overall. I'll be giving to him in a few weeks. I can't wait to see his reaction. I'm also making a wallet for his brother. I'll share that when I'm done.

Knife sheath - 4.jpg

Knife sheath - 1.jpg

Knife sheath - 3.jpg

Knife sheath - 2.jpg

Knife sheath - 5.jpg

Knife sheath - 6.jpg

Edited by DarrelT

Tooling close up. This was a bit tough for me. I think the basket weave might not have been the right choice. A backgrounder tool would have been cleaner.

Knife sheath - 7.jpg

Very nice. Much better tooling than I can do. I like the way you made the sheath, a very nice design.

Stan

That's a great start! The welts you learn and get feel for more you do.   Order of operation for sure is important and I still mess it up sometimes but again more ya make.  Basketweave looks fine but it is a small space so thwnpattwrn cany come put as well. 

Thanks for sharing