Black lizard, orange Chevre Chagrin, and orange linen thread.  Thought I'd try my hand at some exotics.  Had such a difficult time getting the camera to focus on this leather for some reason.  What do you think, should I do more?

YinTx

LizardWalletLoRes.thumb.jpg.8152aff4c3270491b41ead35b38d6a0c.jpg

Good job Yin but for me the orange edge looks kinda unfinished and takes the eye away from the lizard.

Nice job.  I have noticed that it is tough to keep my stitching as tidy on textured leathers as it is on flat, smooth leathers.  Do you find the same?  It appears that might be a "flap-style" card wallet.  Can we see more of it?

I am no expert on photography, but there appears to be a flash or a bright spot in the photo.  Are you using a light box of some sort, or not?  I see photos on here that make me sit up and take notice.  I think they are using a light box designed for the purpose.

Keep up the good work!

yes you should it looks pretty darn good for first try.

18 hours ago, toxo said:

Good job Yin but for me the orange edge looks kinda unfinished and takes the eye away from the lizard.

Thanks, I'll post some side shots.  The rough edge of the leather makes it difficult, so I definitely need some practice.  I don't normally do edge paint.

16 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Nice job.  I have noticed that it is tough to keep my stitching as tidy on textured leathers as it is on flat, smooth leathers.  Do you find the same?  It appears that might be a "flap-style" card wallet.  Can we see more of it?

I am no expert on photography, but there appears to be a flash or a bright spot in the photo.  Are you using a light box of some sort, or not?  I see photos on here that make me sit up and take notice.  I think they are using a light box designed for the purpose.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you.  I'll put up some more photos when I get a chance.  Yes, it is a bit more difficult on textured leathers, this one isn't too bad since the scales or whatever you call them are fairly small.  No light box, actually had to cover the lights up to reduce the glare.  Just a lame old cell phone photo, my decent Canon digital camera died long time ago.

15 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

yes you should it looks pretty darn good for first try.

Appreciate it, I'll try more since I have ostrich, caimen, alligator, etc to use up.

YinTx

Well, good job on the photo then if you used your cell phone!  I always like to see things from a number of angles.  I can imagine what things look like but would rather see them.

Thanks for sharing your work.  It inspires myself and others.

Ok, a few more photos.  I may go for another coat of edge paint, I don't use it much so I am hesitant to get carried away with it.  Just a tiny bit run down through the ridges of the lizard and it'll ruin the piece is my worry.  Really hard to make it look nice and tidy when the leather is full of contours!  8 layers of leather on the wallet.

YinTx

LizardWallet8LoRes.thumb.jpg.874e98ad7b4d2ee2442eff3a4730bdd3.jpg

LizardWallet4LoRes.thumb.jpg.3c9ab192a890c508677bd9cbc4494867.jpg

LizardWallet5LoRes.thumb.jpg.cf04f03ef682400eb534bf199c352a7d.jpg

LizardWallet7LoRes.thumb.jpg.1ba0ff63ec9046cbd170ccf24a3badea.jpg

Forgive me Yin. I didn't mean to suggest the edges were unfinished. They look awesome to me. I was just meaning the orange next to the lizard didn't gel for me. I don't think I'll ever get to that level which is why I stick to handbags.

Thanks for the additional photos, they were worth waiting for.  I'd leave the edges the way they are, I think they are fine.  I see where it might get a little think on the margins, but that is being super picky.  That is work to be proud of.

7 hours ago, toxo said:

Forgive me Yin. I didn't mean to suggest the edges were unfinished. They look awesome to me. I was just meaning the orange next to the lizard didn't gel for me. I don't think I'll ever get to that level which is why I stick to handbags.

I think I see what you mean.  I had actually debated using black, but then I'd have a black edge on the orange Chevre Chagrin.  I've seen awesome edges here, so I still have lots of room for improvement.  Color coordination is probably one of those areas for improvement.  :) 

3 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Thanks for the additional photos, they were worth waiting for.  I'd leave the edges the way they are, I think they are fine.  I see where it might get a little think on the margins, but that is being super picky.  That is work to be proud of.

Yes, I did a lot of work to thin the edges down what with 8 layers of leather and all.  I don't normally fully line wallets because of this issue, the photos probably make it seem thicker than it actually is.  In hand it looks and feels decent, not very thick or chunky. Perhaps on the next version I'll work the edges over more until I get this process down!  Thanks for the compliment!

YinTx