ke6cvh

Singer 18u322 four new old stock machines for sale

Hello group,  An engineer friend of mine in Philippines was at the old Singer Philippines business.  The main person died 2 years ago in 80's.  Wife is now 86.  They sold both houses and the bigger building and now selling off what is remaining which isn't much.  Amongst things are 5 pieces of Singer 299u keyhole machines, a new old stock Singer 16u (I'm uncertain what sub class) and four new old stock Singer 18u322 which I think was the last model produced.  Singer 18u fell off the catalogue in 1988 according to ISMACS.  Also, I'm guessing it takes a 16x2 needle from comparing to other models which means it can be re adjusted to take a 135x17.  This is a cylinder arm that reportedly was used to sew shoe vamps/light leather.  If I bought them my intention would be to sew canvas.  It's a cylinder arm, it's new, no reverse, no needle feed or walking foot just under feed.  

Does anyone have a take on these machines?  It is tempting.  We currently have some Chinese patchers and a Cowboy CB4500 as well as some 112w's, 212's, 5410 needle feed, and a myriad of other machines but something is saying to me to buy.  I'm thinking of a bulk buy of the machines but waiting to see how this lady takes to the idea of selling all for a discount.  These machines still have the factory tag and sew off on them with the name of the Japanese engineer responsible on the tags.

Best regards,

Mike

Pretty sure some one would love these machines. I like the Class 17 / 18. Nice light duty machines!

Consew still sells em as TE-6 / TF-6.  http://www.consew.com/List/Lockstitch-Sewing/Cylinder?page=2

if they were mine I´d try to sell them in AU or JP - just because of the shipping distance.

Edited by Constabulary

I agree with Constabulary above -- at that point Singer hadn't built an industrial sewing machine in two decades and were rebadging Adlers and Seikos. These will be some variant of Seiko TF-6 (still in production). Good, reliable little machines for certain jobs however the lack of reverse might be a handicap, depending what you want to make. Another potential issue is that the 18 is a "left handed" version of the 17. Not really for left handed people but I understand it has some advantage when closing show uppers. I would imagine that would make them a little awkward to use for anyone used to operating a "normally" arranged machine.

Gentleman,  I am sooo much in gratitude for the info on it being a re badged Seiko and Consew TF6 (surely Seiko making for Consew....).  Nope, I'm keeping all 6 of them...call me a hoarder if you want.  I want to use them for two things.  First is backpack production if I ever need them in that....how well do you think it will sew canvas?  I'm thinking excellent.  Also, I have contacts with an indigenous group in Northern Luzon doing hand weaving, growing their own indigo and making natural vegetable/tree bark etc dyes.  We have three paintings on our living room wall done by this group.  One is in indigo and the other two entirely plant dye paint.  I want to use their hand woven cloth to make shoe uppers.  It is very cool looking native designs with stuff like frogs and other meaningful/geometric designs.  I wheeled and deal'd through my engineer friend getting the price lowered to 110k pesos for all five machines (four 18u322 and one 16u) That is about 2,200 dollars for the lot.  The 16u has a rust spot as it was out of the box but we can get matching Singer paint cans of that speckled grey out of Manila.  The 299u keyhole machines are being sold as running (six of these).  I can get those for 45k pesos and they have been overhauled (whatever that means here but for certain running) each.  This machine in Manila likely in worse shape sells for twice that price and in USA even more.  Really getting some good deals lately but these are real gems and the 18u's will really add to the capabilities here.  With the keyholes and having that many I can swap heads and not have production affected.  I will never see these prices again.  We have two Reece 104 keyhole machines (AMF made in USA) but I'm constantly worried about the fact they are used and reliability.  we soon will start production but not yet.  Thanks again so much for the info.  Best regards, Mike

Edited by ke6cvh

Hello from Norway here:) 

I see that the posts here are from a few years ago, 
but I'll try anyway! 
I have a Singer 18u322 and need new needles. 
It is not possible to get hold of the needles, 2022, 
which are in the instruction book. It would be great if someone 
had a suggestion for alternative needles for me. 
I love the ma
Kind regards, Signe Ann

21 hours ago, sijo said:

Hello from Norway here:) 

I see that the posts here are from a few years ago, 
but I'll try anyway! 
I have a Singer 18u322 and need new needles. 
It is not possible to get hold of the needles, 2022, 
which are in the instruction book. It would be great if someone 
had a suggestion for alternative needles for me. 
I love the ma
Kind regards, Signe Ann

Start  new thread in leather sewing machines asking about needles.

I'm archiving this in old/sold