JeannieH

Looking for a 3/4” binder for leather binding tape

On 2/12/2020 at 1:22 AM, Constabulary said:

Do not expect that all 3/4 binder can feed leather tape - a lot depends on the tape thickness and material it self. Most binder are meant for rather thin fabric tapes. Leather tape is critical and depending on the application often requires a custom binder. If the tape you want to use is causing too much drag the tape will either not feed or the stitches become shorter and / or the material you want to bind may stretch and the result looks odd. I guess you need a singe fold binder, right? If you need a double fold binder it would cause even more drag. So the quote from ATL (we do not know how much it was) may sound high compared with the $10 binders on Ebay but they for sure will work trouble free when you sent them samples of you leather tape.

How much was the quote from ATL?

Got this binder from zamirsew.net. My husband cut off some of my inner foot and voila! Thanks again and now time to practice! Can’t wait to show my little crossbody bag I want to make to you lol!

E812E387-4764-4AB0-B1EE-86AF6E7272A2.jpeg

This is a long post. So here is the little bag that prompted me to want to bind things so bad and buy ama home for it lol. There’s a short story behind it. Hermes makes it and I can’t afford it! End of story lmbo! So I said I will make my own. First pic is the Hermès bag. Small bag about 7” tall. Unlined. Cost a fortune for what you get! So I used the same “Clemence” leather(actually it’s the lagun taurillon) and made it look a little different with my hand punched J for my brand name “Jaicani” and a tassle. My shape is more square and straight up and corners aren’t as rounded. It’s a quick bag for on the go since I don’t put a lot of stuff in my bags. It’s so cute and I was obsessed with it! Side note: this is how I’ve taught myself to make handbags. I look at designer bags and get their measurements off the websites. Draw it. Find videos of women unboxing them on YouTube and stare at the bags to see what info I can gather...then I go to bed and sew it in my mind (for real) so I can see what problems may come up and if I have the tools needed to make it..then I make a pattern then make the bag.

this is my first attempt so I did make mistakes on the machine. For some reason the stitch length wasn’t the same as on my test pieces. It was a lot smaller. My binding did stretch... it sure if that’s normal or not. There are still some things I gotta figure out with starting and ending the binding to get it looking higher end..since at the top it needs to be painted on the ends. I did leave the threads long and hand stitched the ends so I could secure the top with overlapping the threads. But..when I awled through the layers my holes weren’t lined up on the underside...so maybe I need to go at an angle.

overall I feel good about the first go and now I can try again. Please critique! Tell me what you see that needs to be done better even if it’s something I already mentioned. It’s hard to see details since it’s black though.

Also, does any place make d ring holder does I can hit with a mallet? I can never cut them perfectly.

688CDBFB-B76B-4CD2-98A9-5A43442DB73D.jpeg

E6F84610-1A3F-44FB-8BF2-389E2BCC25AC.jpeg

02737829-1084-4271-B9B9-90295CD186FF.jpeg

26231084-CC53-4BC3-867B-865151788294.jpeg

A7A5F2EB-6466-4F5D-A67C-94EF24D0EFE5.jpeg

5K for a bag? :blink:  NUTS! :lol:

when the binding stretches and stitches become shorter you most likely have too much friction between binding material and binder meaning binding material is too thick I would say. I had this with some vintage vinyl binding material which I wanted to use in a double fold binder - did not work though martial is very thin. I dropped the project cause it´s not worth investing in a custom binder for s single project.

You can try to increase the foot pressure of the outer foot, that may help but I think binding material is too thick for the binder - but hard to tell from the distance.

Edited by Constabulary

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

5K for a bag? :blink:  NUTS! :lol:

when the binding stretches and stitches become shorter you most likely have too much friction between binding material and binder meaning binding material is too thick I would say. I had this with some vintage vinyl binding material which I wanted to use in a double fold binder - did not work though martial is very thin. I dropped the project cause it´s not worth investing in a custom binder for s single project.

You can try to increase the foot pressure of the outer foot, that may help but I think binding material is too thick for the binder - but hard to tell from the distance.

Yes it is! Ok I will try increasing the pressure. The binding pulls through easily by hand. Guess it’s different once I get sewing. Hope I don’t have to still get a custom binder!

On 2/13/2020 at 4:42 AM, Constabulary said:

That exactly was my point when I started tinkering with these binders... I tried em - they worked and I´m happy with em. As I said, I meanwhile have a few "el cheapo binders" and all work fine but have to be fine tuned / well positioned in relation to the feed dog and needle when I change them. But yet I cannot complain. None cost more than ~20-25 bucks or so.

Now I even know I can do binding with leather tape - I learned something today :lol:

Good luck with your work and let us see some results when your binder has arrive and is set up ;)

IMG_0922.JPG

Not sure if you know and a little late to the conversation, but is there a aftermarket binding attachment for the techsew 5100? Techsew doesnt make one for it and it is something that I will be doing. Thanks in advance.