Sign in to follow this  
Tross

Consew 206 questions

I know this has probably been asked and answered, but I can't find it.  Thanks everyone for your help!!!! I really need help!   I have a couple more questions:

1.  Are there 'starting out' settings for the top tensioner and the bottom tensioner (bobbin case)?

2. To get nice straight edges, should I be using a left presser foot and roller guide, or one of the presser feet with the flange on the right side?

3.  Same question as number 2, except with scalloped leather like a cheek piece on a bridle?

4.  The presser foot leaves indents on the leather.  This is english bridle leather, 8oz with 4 oz backing?  I have played with the screw about half way back on the machine to adjust this but it doisn't seem to be doing much.  Is there a spring or something in there that could be worn out?

As far as thread tension, I'd start with adjusting the bobbin tension.  Set is for light, smooth resistance as you pull the bobbin thread.  Then sew a test swatch and set the upper thread tension accordingly.  If you see loose loops on the bottom of the swatch, tighten the upper tension.  If the stitches look loose on top of the swatch, loosen the upper tension.  Continue with small upper tension adjustments until the stitch is balance on thin material.

I use cheap, thin vinyl for my test swatches.  If the machine can balance a stitch on thin vinyl, I know it will look great in thicker leather.  

As far as loosening the pressure on the foot... loosen the knob behind the thread guide post on top of the machine.  Is that the knob you're adjusting?  It's on top of the machine, near center.  

If it's still marking leather, try a smooth presser foot.  The ones with ridges on the bottom are more aggressive, but sometimes mark soft leather.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe