Superduty

Singer 29K60 Walking Foot Not Lifting

Hi;  I'm new to this forum, and I'm seeking help with my Singer 29K60 . The problem is the walking foot moves forward and aft but does not raise up between stitches, therefore it doesn't move the material at all., I've adjusted the the foot tension up and down multiple times to no avail, removed the bell crank and feeding motion ring and checked them for sloppyness (there maybe about 1/32" of play) .Is that too much, it seems pretty tight. I will say that the bell crank is not at a 90 degree angle,maybe about 85 degrees. is it supposed to be that way, could that be part of my problem?  Has anyonre else experienced this issue? Is there something I might be missing. Thank you in advance

Here is a manual for the Singer 29k58, 60 and 62 (.pdf). It will show the parts that control the lift and feed motion. The part that controls the lift height is on the back of the round head and has a thumbscrew adjuster. The moving block should have 3 lines for low, medium and high lift. If this part is missing, broken, or set too low, the foot can't lift. No lift, no feed.

The maximum thickness that can be transported by the foot action is usually just at or under 5/16 inch.

Thank you for responding. Here are several pics of the head. Please let me know if other angles or areas whould be helpful. Thank you also for the PDF manual, it's very helpful.

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

Probably nothing to do with it but I don't recall ever seeing the screws that hold the head on sticking out like that except for once. That once was where this complete novice believed that this was how you should adjust the needle to be closer to the hook. Amazingly he would not let me show him where the needle should be adjusted from.....:crazy:

Adjust the lift from M to H on the wingnut adjustment tab (in your last photo). Make sure that the block with the big screw on the other end of its shaft is able to make contact with the lever that comes out of the rear of the head to push it up. It's possible that this block has loosened and slipped out of range.

ouh....

okay, things I notice: the cup on the tension discs is either odd or upside down, the tension spring seems to be missing or is under the cup (if its the original cup then both parts are installed the wrong way) the nut on the tension unit is bubba-ed / wrong part, the tension disc are the wrong ones the originals need to be flat type (Singer parts # 8616). Because of the wrong & too high tension discs and the upside down installed cup (rim rests on tension discss as it seems) the "foobar revolving joint" comes up to high and this may cause your issues.

Cannot explain in English how the parts play together but the main issue from my view are the tension unit and the wrong tension discs - no joke.

I´d recommend comparing pictures of other machines (29K60, 62, 70, 71, 72, 73) and check this manual and parts list

https://leatherworker.net/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=149218

It has a well detailed parts list and show how the parts should be assembled.

Edited by Constabulary

I won't have any time for the next several days to work on it but as soon as I do I'll make the adjustments that have been suggested. As for the tension set up, Constabulary, you are totally correct. It's a setup off another machine I put on. This particular machine was thrown out behind someones shed and left in the weather for 5 years. consequently the tensioner was broken and missing. I'll try to order up the proper parts and get them installed ASAP. Thanks again.

I was able to spend some time trying to get the walking foot to function today. It went well, thanks to Wizcrafts tip about the block making contact with the lever that comes out from the head. Just as he suggested I found that the screw that secures it was not tightened enough and when the lever lifted it was loose enough that it just slipped and did not lift the foot. Thank you very much. It's now working and advancing the material as it should. I'll replace the tension disks when the arrive.