Constabulary

Retrofit a Roller Foot to Singer Needle Feed & Drop Feed Machines with Split Presser Foot Bar

I´m not sure if this is known but at least to me it was new that there is an adapter for retrofitting a roller foot to Singer needle feed and drop feed machines which have the "Split Presser Foot Bar". Usually this type of presser foot bars cannot accommodate roller feet. So with this adapter you can install roller feet like the ones you find for the Singer 31K / 331K and similar machines (works best with small diameter roller I think).

Quick explanation - I restored a 51WSV2 last year and replaced the old presser foot bar with a dedicated roller foot bar - fortunately it had same diameter as the later Singer foot bars. And while looking for parts that could fit this very old but very nice machine I stumbled over a "supporting base" but the purpose was not clear to me at that time so I just ordered one to see what it really is.

This is it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Presser-Foot-Supporting-Base-Fit-For-Golden-wheel-Cs-810-820-Sewing-Machine/163656522197

It turned out that this is an adapter you can fit on the typical "large diameter" Singer split presser foot bars you find on many vintage Singer industrial machines and even some modern clones. Machines which have this type of foot bar are f.i. Singer 111w, 211w, 107w, 143w, 153w just to mention a few but it depends on the subclass and it only works for drop feed and needle feed machines.

Good thing is you can use the standard feet that belong to the machine ex factory and put on roller foot when needed (but may depend on the machine you have). So this enhances the spectrum of use of certain machines.

And maybe (have not tested this) you can even use the standard "garment" presser feet of the 31K and similar machines with this adapter.

"Bad thing" is on machines with a "closed top" foot pressure screw you probably have to shorten the presser foot bar and have to adjust the presser foot bar bushing to achieve more foot lift - so it depends on the machine what modifications are required...

So this may work for you or not and it may require "tinkering" (depending on your machine) and maybe it´s not everyone's cup of tea but it could be a workaround for one or two members here...  I just wanted to share this. ;)

And this is how it works:

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

I of course cannot test this on all above mentioned (and unmentioned) machines - I just wanted to give an idea of how it "could work".

As a sample - this is a 107W1 - this machine has a closed foot pressure screw and you have to shorten the presser foot bar and adjust the foot bar bushing.

Conclusion - if you don´t like / dare tinkering on your machine - "Don´t do this at home" ! I guess you know what I mean.... ;)

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

On 2/13/2020 at 2:36 PM, Constabulary said:

I of course cannot test this on all above mentioned (and unmentioned) machines - I just wanted to give an idea of how it "could work".

As a sample - this is a 107W1 - this machine has a closed foot pressure screw and you have to shorten the presser foot bar and adjust the foot bar bushing.

Conclusion - if you don´t like / dare tinkering on your machine - "Don´t do this at home" ! I guess you know what I mean.... ;)

So how did your machine sew with this adapter? I have a singer 111w100 I may dig out and use to sew some shoe uppers, if not I may go ahead and use my cylinder arm 47w68 that I put a roller foot on. I have a Singer 43-5 that has a square presser foot vibrating foot that I would like to put a roller foot on as well, I have found a roller foot for a  Singer11-33 that has a square pressure foot vibrating bar, but I think the bar is larger than the 43-5 which is the same size bar as a Singer 16 serious. Did you catch all that? Lol

Thank you!

Ryano, please contact me about a 47w68. Need some info, you seem to be the only one that has ever mentioned that machine.

Thanks

On 12/27/2020 at 6:19 AM, ryano said:

So how did your machine sew with this adapter? I have a singer 111w100 I may dig out and use to sew some shoe uppers, if not I may go ahead and use my cylinder arm 47w68 that I put a roller foot on. I have a Singer 43-5 that has a square presser foot vibrating foot that I would like to put a roller foot on as well, I have found a roller foot for a  Singer11-33 that has a square pressure foot vibrating bar, but I think the bar is larger than the 43-5 which is the same size bar as a Singer 16 serious. Did you catch all that? Lol

Thank you!

No problems but in any case you want to bring the roller as close to the needle as possible. In best case use a straight stitch needle plate and matching feed dog. A ZZ NP as shown the picture is not ideal - it was just to give a sample for the conversion.

3 hours ago, Raderrods said:

Ryano, please contact me about a 47w68. Need some info, you seem to be the only one that has ever mentioned that machine.

Thanks

What information are you looking for?

Basic information about the class can be found when looking up the 47w. The 68 describes a subclass / how the machines is equipped. Looks like the 68 subclass is a drop feed straight stitch machine. Parts list says it has a reverse feed - wondering how it works. If you don´t mind please open a new thread and show some good detailed pictures of your machine. Maybe we can merge some information for the future. ;)

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

No problems but in any case you want to bring the roller as close to the needle as possible. In best case use a straight stitch needle plate and matching feed dog. A ZZ NP as shown the picture is not ideal - it was just to give a sample for the conversion.

What information are you looking for?

Basic information about the class can be found when looking up the 47w. The 68 describes a subclass / how the machines is equipped. Looks like the 68 subclass is a drop feed straight stitch machine. Parts list says it has a reverse feed - wondering how it works. If you don´t mind please open a new thread and show some good detailed pictures of your machine. Maybe we can merge some information for the future. ;)

I have a 47w68 and the parts manual states that the machine is reversed by the treadle. I really have no idea how the reverse works bc I cannot even find a place to hook a chain and there is no reverse lever. Lol

On 12/30/2020 at 3:56 AM, ryano said:

I have a 47w68 and the parts manual states that the machine is reversed by the treadle. I really have no idea how the reverse works bc I cannot even find a place to hook a chain and there is no reverse lever. Lol

please open a new topic and show some good detailed pictures of your machine.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, ryano said:

You might check under the base where the chain may go up inside hidden from view.   That’s a pretty cool machine you’ve got there.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:36 AM, Constabulary said:

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

How much of the needle bar did you have to take off here? I ordered an extra NB, the adapter, and the wheel is on it's way from China (should be halfway here by now). Which end was shortened? I now see it could be either end since it slides through, but also it just clamps in place and I have a through-hole out the top. So I guess I just have to find the area to clamp with the taller wheel in place that provides the best range of pressure on the material, right? Doing this on a 153w102 cylinder bed needle/drop feed.

Edited by AlizabethThomas
too many prior posts quoted

Keep in mind - this is a workaround / tinkering solution. I haven´t installed the adapter to a 153W. My pictures show a 107w flat bed machine but the 153w103 is using a similar presser foot bar.

The 153w has no presser foot bar coil spring and looks like the upper foot bar bushing is open on the topside (see picture - not my machine) so you don't have to cut the foot bar. But maybe you have to raise the lower foot bar bushing and maybe (don´t know for sure) cut it down if you have problems with lifting the foot because the adapter adds length and it may hit the casting or internal parts may interfere with the raised bushing. But I´m not in front of your machine so I only can guess. On my 107w I had to raise the lower bushing.

Anyway - if you successfully have altered your machine please show some pictures. They may be useful for others.

153w103.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

7 hours ago, shoemaker4 said:

Do you think this adapter would work on 45K/132K presser foot bars to get them to accept the standard feet you'd see on machines like the 31-15?

IIRC the 45K and 132K foot bars have a slightly larger diameter but I can check that later today. Anyway - if you have a drill press you probably make the adapter work. If the standard Singer feet will then work with the 45K / 132K is another story. You for sure have to modify the feet as well f.i. to allow the use of larger diameter needles. Keep in mind the standard feet are rather narrow and the feed dog on the 45K / 132K are rather wide.

So the foot thing is trial and error IMO but the adapter it self can be modified I´d say.

Edited by Constabulary

Can´t find my digital caliper but yes, the 45K needle bar is ~0.9-1mm wider so a drill press will help ;)

Hmm I see.

132k/45k Feed dogs are definitely wider than standard feet, but maybe some of the more "novelty" feet would work better out-the-box. Really I just wanted the adapter to use a Normal Roller foot on a 132K without having to track down the specialized ones for the 45k and 132k10 that seem to only be available in Europe. Seems like with some drilling and tapping it'd work. Thanks for looking into it. :trumpet: