DanishMan

PFAFF 335 project

The 335 project is slowly progressing.

When I received the machine, the needle bar rocker was broken in two pieces. I wonder how that can happen? However I managed to find another needle bar rocker - one of the old ones with a thin needle bar.

The next and bigger problem is the top screw mechanism, which regulates the foot pressure. It too had been broken (due to poor packing). I have searched everywhere, but this turns out to bee nearly impossible to find. It is much thinner and more fragile, than on newer models of the 335. I believe, I have seen it on early 145s, whereas almost all other PFAFF models features a screw which fits threads in the main structure.

The problem with the take up lever is sorted out. The pin, which attaches the "pendular" to the main shaft in the front part of the machine was damaged. A replacement pin sorted that problem.

So now, I will just keep looking for parts. 

As a matter of fact I bought a derelict 335 two days ago, but after cleaning this machine turned out to be in very good shape. This will not be used for spares.

Slowly putting things back together. Still missing the presser foot regulating mechanism.

Also need to figure out if thread tension can be released via the foot lift.

75EB72E7-6710-4919-AB3F-96E260CCDA31.jpeg

C83D3659-0BE9-45BB-8A41-0AEE431F4B61.jpeg

No much progress with the 335. 

The foot pressure regulating mechanism is broken. As it is a different size, than on later 335s, it is almost impossible to find.

Now, I am talking with an instrument maker, and he can probably fix it. I am just waiting to see, if the price will be reasonable.

Meanwhile, I received a PFAFF 145 from Germany today. For once, packing was excellent. This old 145 in fact has the same part, which is damaged on the 335. However, I am not going to part out the 145, which appears to be in perfect working order.95588501_pfaff145335.thumb.jpg.44f4cd0a228df9e081b5dd80f733664d.jpg95588501_pfaff145335.thumb.jpg.44f4cd0a228df9e081b5dd80f733664d.jpg

topskrue.jpg

At the moment I have

One 145

One 331

Two 335

One 595

One 143

One 543

Four skiving machines

On 2/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, DanishMan said:

Hi Jimi. I hope you are well. I have picked up several machines in Poland, and this one in Bulgaria.

While it is missing several parts, most screws and parts are in good condition. I probably need to paint it.

I will see. I have about 10 old PFAFFs, that I need to work with. I found a 595 today and a skiving machine..

Take care.

Søren

How about a 335 P model?  Got one of those?

Silverd

Next problem.

When I bought the 335, it was incomplete. One of the things missing was the "Presser bar guide block bracket". As I had three from old machines, that 

I have scrapped, I did not expect this to be a problem - I painted one of the three brackets black.

Now it turns out, that this bracket is shorter on old 145, 335, 345 machines.

As can be seen on my old black 145, the bracket is shorter (9.9 cm versus 12.3 cm on newer machines).

If anyone has the short bracket in stock, I am interested in buying it.

Brgds

DanishMan

Dims 1 copy.jpg

Edited by DanishMan

32 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Better buy Singer based machines :whistle:

:lol: Looks like it is easier for Soren to find Pfaff´s???

2 hours ago, DanishMan said:

Next problem.

I think these machine are taking their revenge on you for all of those years they have been mistreated :blink::lol:

:popcorn:

Hi Jimi

It is easier to find PFAFFs - especially machines that have been used in industry.

Later today, I will drive to a smaller town in Denmark, where a couple bought a shoe factory four years ago. Everything stored in a barn.

Might be some interesting stuff. From the pictures I can count four post bed machines, a PFAFF 353 (left hand), and a PFAFF 27. Supposedly there is also a skiving machine somewhere.

Take care.

Søren 

On 5/10/2020 at 10:25 AM, DanishMan said:

If anyone has the short bracket in stock, I am interested in buying it.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pfaff-145-155-Ersatzteil-8450/293412785630?hash=item4450c3cdde:g:S~QAAOSwP~leFOEh

Check this one out Soren??

Hi Jimi

It is about two cm too long. The part I am looking for is 9.9 cm.

I am also struggling with the foot pressure regulating assembly, which broke during shipping. It will cost 350 Euros to have the part made by an instrument maker.

I think, I will just put the machine away and wait for an old 145 wreck to show up.

Kind regards

Søren

Cool project! Watching this thread. 

Hi Look

Thank you. 

The restoration has come to a standstill for the moment. I am short of two vital parts. Will wait until I find these - might take two days; or two years.

Brgds

Danishman

Thats the often trouble with vintage machines. But to be honest I was not aware of that Pfaff did such significant technical part changes. This once again confirms me to be on the right path with my "Singer craze" :crazy:. Even for the freakin oldest machines (not all of course) you still can find some new parts or parts are even interchangeable between different machines from different ages. But I don´t want to bash Pfaff - excellent machines - no doubt but parts situations can be tricky as it seems.

Hope you can finish your project soon. If you see something on Ebay Germany and seller will not ship international just let me know ;)

Edited by Constabulary

My 335 project has been idling for a long time.

I was missing the top screw assembly and the presser bar guide block bracket.

Now, I have found the parts on Ebay, and the 335 can be completed.

Many thanks to Thomas Hansen (545Iger on Ebay). Thomas has very reasonable prices on

Ebay compared to some other dealers. He is also very helpfull and always responding quick, if you have any questions.

Pictures will follow, once I have completed three other ongoing projects - a PFAFF 145, a PFAFF 193 and a skiving machine.

Kind regards

DanishMan

Great news.  Look forward to the pictures of this one and the others.