lorelei0922

Very soft Lace cutting

I've done a search but dont see what i'm looking for exactly so i thought i would ask. 

I make NSFW stuff.  ( Not sure if i should add a pic... )Some of these items are worn against the skin for several hours at at time.  

I generally use medium to heavy weight biker chap type leathers 

generally speaking i either hand stitch the edges for a decent finished look or do a double loop edge lacing with soft deerskin lace (3/16) 

buying this lace is rather expensive though (around $20 for 50Ft at Springfield Leather with wholesale pricing) I usually need  30ft of lace to cover a project and adding the price to my products is getting to the point that i'm almost doubling my actual material costs!

I've played around a bit with the regular leather lacer ( the one you put in a hole in leather and pull)  but have very mixed results... the leather i work with and suede.. sigh... is just tooooo soft and while I've made it work with a few really good bits, usually its a failure and a waste!  I've also played a tiny bit with that Australian lacer? the one you put on your finger?  again, i think the leather and suede i use is just too soft cause i cant keep it consistent. ( do i just need practice??)

my budget is near to nonexistent, I've been looking online for DIY projects or options that might help but have come up empty.  I'm in the states, Arkansas, with Tandy and Springfield Leather being the only within reach leather suppliers within driving distance ( about 2 1/2 hours) 

does anyone have tips on a specific type of leather i might be able to get that will make really soft lace, 

or a method of softening firmer stuff?

Or a technique i might not have  yet to make it with the materials that i can easily get a hold of ? 

Advice very welcome!  But please dumb it down for me.. i still don't understand ounces of leather, types of tanning and how that makes leather feel LOL

For the leather..Goat or ( about 1.5mm to 2mm thick* ) ...for even softer lambskin..( same thickness )
For Pics..post them in the adult section**..if you haven't already asked Johanna for access to it..do so..

*You are in the USA..so ..1mm = 1/24 of an inch ( or 2/32 of an inch ) ..approximately ..

Something to note..Chrome tan from any animal at any thickness is softer than veg tan at the same thickness from the same animal..
So you can get calfskin quite soft as long as it is chrome tanned..

HTH.. :)

**From my point of view..there are too many people interested in the "how to hurt women, whether the women are consensual, or non consensual " involved in "adult" ( not just here but all over the "adult " areas of the web )..S&M not withstanding..as opposed to those who understand what is written in my sig..

Oh..and..Welcome to Leatherworker.net..the more women here ..the better :)

Edited by mikesc
clarity :)

Thanks so much for the advice... I'll look into some of the ideas you mentioned!

I already have access to the adult section but its incredibly quiet! 

As for your ** i tend to agree in part,  however , it also appears often that those not in the know,  or havent been smacked upside the head hard enough by tjose who do Know! Have the opinion that its all about hurting women... if youre doin it right... it absolutely is not.  

Also,  i have 8 current orders on my work bench,  5 are for men.... to be used for them,  the things on my bench for women... bracelets ;) so i guess its a just a matter of perspective.

Thanks really again for the welcome,  i do appreciate it! 

Sometimes i do struggle a bit with the way things are explained, maybe my brain just thinks in a different direction than a guy's lol