steelhawk

New Tool Rack Question

My current tool rack is too small. It has about 120 holes and I need about 80 more.  I can make a larger one, but I'm wondering if I want a different design.

Looking at the tool racks posted here, I've seen some racks with larger holes that hold multiple tools.

For those with that type of rack, do you like it?

Is it better than your old rack with individual holes?

What sort of rack / tools are you referring to? I assume a block to hold stamping tools?

Yes, a block to hold stamping tools.

I have three of these for my stamping tools.

1612729372_paintbrushbox01ss.jpg.b6b8bfa4f48179219bc4277c56a893ae.jpg

Yes. I like them. I have the tools in rows, alpha-numerically sorted

This is what I currently use, which is too small. I have a fourth tool rack elsewhere in my shop that I made as a teenager, longer ago than I care to remember that I used forever. There are over 60 tools still in it. I want to get down to one tool rack for my stamps.

MyRacks.jpg.5b2f4250aa4992e315c35e8bb5048b47.jpg

Next picture. I found this tool rack somewhere on this forum and am considering making something similar, but am not sure I will like using it.

My question: If you use something like this, how do you like it?

rack3.jpg.65186360662991e90e9d08cb06e003b0.jpg

Check out Dave Swallow tool racks, a little on the pricey side but very nice !  I have one that holds 296 tools and I love it. I believe you can find them under Swallow leather tools. Rodney 

20 hours ago, steelhawk said:

Next picture. I found this tool rack somewhere on this forum and am considering making something similar, but am not sure I will like using it.

My question: If you use something like this, how do you like it?

I use a couple that sit on my table with the large holes.  I group my tools and put like tools together.

Tom

I made this a little while back to hold my stamps, lace and other things. It rotates around the center on the sprocket and the blocks swivel to stay upright. It holds 47 stamps per block for a total of 188. It was fun to make. I'm not sure I would like more than one per hole, but never tried it. I may make something like you posted above next and see how I like that.

IMG_2513.thumb.JPG.90fed008b41ff39028de700c322c994b.JPG

Edited by wheeldawg

Nice job on the tool  rack. I'm still debating my options. I have a houseful lately with my daughter and son-in-law living with us. They have five kids, ages 8 to 18. They all want to watch me work. I've done lots of leather projects with them, though.

16 hours ago, wheeldawg said:

I made this a little while back to hold my stamps, lace and other things. It rotates around the center on the sprocket and the blocks swivel to stay upright. It holds 47 stamps per block for a total of 188. It was fun to make. I'm not sure I would like more than one per hole, but never tried it. I may make something like you posted above next and see how I like that.

IMG_2513.thumb.JPG.90fed008b41ff39028de700c322c994b.JPG

I absolutely love that.  Nice work!  I am so impressed by the variety of talents around here.

I'm not tooling all the time so I keep most stamps in tool rolls I made from a pattern in Leathercrafters Journal. Handy and saves a lot of space. I have a small wood holder for swivel knives and stamps I'm using on a particular project. I love the Ferris wheel design though! --John