motocouture

Vintage Kingsley Hot Foil Machine

Hi all, sharing some pics for info of a vintage Kingsley hot foil machine I just bought through eBay.  From the brief research I’ve done and the relatively high serial number, I believe it’s probably early to mid-1980s (time flies!). The model is LM 55 AF, and weighs about 20 lbs give or take. Welcome any feedback anyone has, especially with regards to oiling and care (even came with some of the original Kingsley oil). I have a number of attachments for the machine as well, including a Christmas card holder, napkin holder, and playing card monogramming attachment. I already set it up and tested using the original Kingsley foil that came with the machine - worked a treat. 

shout out to @RockyAussie for his sage words of wisdom and help through the process of acquiring this machine!

0CA9FCCB-842F-4846-800E-C0123E21CD7E.jpeg

C29AC2AE-D8A0-4FBB-81CB-50A161C29939.jpeg

FA8B388E-362E-474D-9951-664E3FB2348B.jpeg

That's the most beautiful Kingsley press I've seen! My two (M40 and M60) presses look like dinosaurs compared to yours. I love the sliding rack to extend it over the edge of the table. If you ever decide to sell it I've got dibs!!

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

That's the most beautiful Kingsley press I've seen! My two (M40 and M60) presses look like dinosaurs compared to yours. I love the sliding rack to extend it over the edge of the table. If you ever decide to sell it I've got dibs!!

Thank you so much! It’s in fantastic condition, with a great range of accessories. The rack is handy for if I ever want to do larger articles I think. I love being able to use something vintage. You absolutely can have first dibs! 

that is a beautiful Kinsley.  I've never seen one have a sliding rack like that.

1 hour ago, Scoutmom103 said:

that is a beautiful Kinsley.  I've never seen one have a sliding rack like that.

Thanks! The sliding rack is interesting, helps expand your work area and is pretty smooth and stable. 

Yep, nice looking Kingsley there. I'm with Wiz, i have two that look like dinosaurs but the work great.

A free tidbit of information. I have found that I can use Foundry letterpress type on them so you can use larger fonts. I spell out what I want with the letterpress type, run a piece of electrical tape around them to hold them in line. Them I use double sided tape to hold the letters to the letter block on the Kingsley. You will need to run the heat setting higher than the smaller letters but it works great.

2nd free tidbit. About the only thing that ever goes wrong on them is the heating element. There is a guy on eBay that makes and sells them. His seller ID is lou_dawg

What a beautiful machine! I wake up to find one one day in such a good condition!

I could be satisfied with an M60 model.

Edited by paloma

That is a really nice piece of kit. Makes my effort of making an add-on for my arbor press look quite shabby. :(

Ok, I gotta ask for the whole gang, what did you pay?