Workinman

Leather Product Production Companies

Does anyone know how I might find a company here in the US that I can get to mass produce a leather product for me ?

I don't need this right now, but hope to soon.

Try North Star Leather. A frequent contributor on this forum

Terry

As Terry said ..contact North Star Leather .
nstarleather.com

Copy and past the nstarleather.com into your browser address bar and then click go or enter

Edited by mikesc
board software is being difficult

On 2/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, Gulrok said:

Speak to the people at American Leather Direct. They've been fantastic to work with so far.

https://aleatherd.com/

https://aleatherd.com/pages/custom-production

Thank you for your helpful reply.  I'm actually talking to them right now about some of their leather products.  Didn't even know they do custom production.

Appreciate the help !

Mike
On 2/16/2020 at 1:01 PM, terrymac said:

Try North Star Leather. A frequent contributor on this forum

Terry

Thanks for the suggestion Terry !!

Mike

On 2/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, mikesc said:

As Terry said ..contact North Star Leather .
nstarleather.com

Copy and past the nstarleather.com into your browser address bar and then click go or enter

Thanks for the suggestion Mike !!

Mike

On 2/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, nstarleather said:

Thanks for the mention! 

yes we can take on lots of production depending on your exact needs. 

my email is:  nstarleather@shtc.net

Thanks Mike.  I'll be in touch.

Mike

14 hours ago, nstarleather said:

Just for everyone's information and accuracy's sake, ALD's production is done in Mexico not USA. 

That surprises me. I was under the impression when briefly speaking to them that it was done in America. I know their leather is chahin which is from a Mexican tannery. 

15 minutes ago, Gulrok said:

That surprises me. I was under the impression when briefly speaking to them that it was done in America. I know their leather is chahin which is from a Mexican tannery. 

"Made in the USA", "Made in North America" and "Made in America" is not the same.

America does not necessarily mean the USA. Mexico is a part of North America too. Made in America also "could" mean Made in South America. I would not consider this as wrong when someone says: "This product is made in America" when it comes from South America.

I know "usually" one would expect that made in America means made in USA but..  well... think about it. Sometimes you have to read between the lines.;)

5 hours ago, Constabulary said:

"Made in the USA", "Made in North America" and "Made in America" is not the same.

America does not necessarily mean the USA. Mexico is a part of North America too. Made in America also "could" mean Made in South America. I would not consider this as wrong when someone says: "This product is made in America" when it comes from South America.

I know "usually" one would expect that made in America means made in USA but..  well... think about it. Sometimes you have to read between the lines.;)

I don't think this is strictly true.  The part about South America listing something as "American Made".  If they began doing that, I'm certain that the Federal Trade Commission would intervene.  I did a google search for 'Made in America' and everything that came up that I read leads to this conclusion.  In fact, most of the time it is explicitly stated or strongly implied that 'Made in America' is equal to 'Made in the U.S.'.  

If a country such as Brazil tried to export product to the U.S. that had labels that read 'Made in America', they would be refused at the port.

The 1988 movie 'Coming to America' starring Eddie Murphy meant the U.S.  The Neil Diamond song of the same name wasn't talking about Colombia.  It is generally understood when you say America, you mean the U.S.A.

Perhaps South American or Central American countries could label their product 'Made in America' and ship to Germany, but I doubt that too.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

I don't think this is strictly true.  The part about South America listing something as "American Made".  If they began doing that, I'm certain that the Federal Trade Commission would intervene.  I did a google search for 'Made in America' and everything that came up that I read leads to this conclusion.  In fact, most of the time it is explicitly stated or strongly implied that 'Made in America' is equal to 'Made in the U.S.'.  

If a country such as Brazil tried to export product to the U.S. that had labels that read 'Made in America', they would be refused at the port.

The 1988 movie 'Coming to America' starring Eddie Murphy meant the U.S.  The Neil Diamond song of the same name wasn't talking about Colombia.  It is generally understood when you say America, you mean the U.S.A.

Perhaps South American or Central American countries could label their product 'Made in America' and ship to Germany, but I doubt that too. 

It may be your point of view or maybe a common opinion but geographical it is not the way you think. That is at least my point of view.

Made in Europe is not the same as Made in the European Union! I think no one would question that so why should Made in America be considered to be the same as Made in the USA?

I know we (EU folks) often say "the Americans" and mean the people of the United States of America. And I`m sure in the USA you say "the Europeans" and mean the people of the European Union. That is because it is "a common phrase" which has ben kind of naturalized over the years or decades but is geographical incorrect. America is more than just the USA and Europe is more than just the European Union.

40 years ago Germany was not just West Germany, the GDR (East Germany) also was a part of the post war German country - even though there were 2 independent states the BRD (FRG) and the DDR (GDR) but both were German countries and part of Germany.

Canada is also an (North) American state but obviously not part of the USA. Mexico is also an American state and belongs to North America - just as Canada.

However - I get what you mean - Trump for sure wanted to make the "USA" great again and not Mexico :lol:

But when someone wants to make a clear statement that certain (or his own) products are made in the USA he would / should label them as "Made in the USA" otherwise it is not really obvious - from my point of view. When you look on labels of USA made garments I´m sure they state "Made in the USA" and not Made in America. So why should it be different in other trades?

1 hour ago, nstarleather said:

we tend to be a little USA centric here with the term.

Agree

Edited by Constabulary

I was absolutely not being USA-centric.  Just stating my opinion, which is based upon facts and I expressed same.  Here is some info from a government website.  It supports much of what I said.

This snippet is what I was referring to when I said "Coming to America" is generally understood to mean the U.S.

A Made in USA claim can be express or implied.

Examples of express claims: Made in USA. "Our products are American-made." "USA."

In identifying implied claims, the Commission focuses on the overall impression of the advertising, label, or promotional material. Depending on the context, U.S. symbols or geographic references (for example, U.S. flags, outlines of U.S. maps, or references to U.S. locations of headquarters or factories) may convey a claim of U.S. origin either by themselves, or in conjunction with other phrases or images.

So to me, this means if you call something American-Made, it is understood that you are implying it is Made in the USA.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is charged with preventing deception and unfairness in the marketplace. The FTC Act gives the Commission the power to bring law enforcement actions against false or misleading claims that a product is of U.S. origin. Traditionally, the Commission has required that a product advertised as Made in USA be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. After a comprehensive review of Made in USA and other U.S. origin claims in product advertising and labeling, the Commission announced in December 1997 that it would retain the "all or virtually all" standard. The Commission also issued an Enforcement Policy Statement on U.S. Origin Claims to provide guidance to marketers who want to make an unqualified Made in USA claim under the "all or virtually all" standard and those who want to make a qualified Made in USA claim.

This publication provides additional guidance about how to comply with the "all or virtually all" standard. It also offers some general information about the U.S. Customs Service’s requirement that all products of foreign origin imported into the U.S. be marked with the name of the country of origin.

This publication is the Federal Trade Commission staff’s view of the law’s requirements. It is not binding on the Commission. The Enforcement Policy Statement issued by the FTC is at the end of the publication.

BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT MADE IN USA CLAIMS

Must U.S. content be disclosed on products sold in the U.S.?

U.S. content must be disclosed on automobiles and textile, wool, and fur products. There’s no law that requires most other products sold in the U.S. to be marked or labeled Made in USA or have any other disclosure about their amount of U.S. content. However, manufacturers and marketers who choose to make claims about the amount of U.S. content in their products must comply with the FTC’s Made in USA policy.

What products does the FTC’s Made in USA policy apply to?

The policy applies to all products advertised or sold in the U.S., except for those specifically subject to country-of-origin labeling by other laws. Other countries may have their own country-of-origin marking requirements. As a result, exporters should determine whether the country to which they are exporting imposes such requirements.

What kinds of claims does the Enforcement Policy Statement apply to?

The Enforcement Policy Statement applies to U.S. origin claims that appear on products and labeling, advertising, and other promotional materials. It also applies to all other forms of marketing, including marketing through digital or electronic mechanisms, such as Internet or e-mail.

A Made in USA claim can be express or implied.

Examples of express claims: Made in USA. "Our products are American-made." "USA."

In identifying implied claims, the Commission focuses on the overall impression of the advertising, label, or promotional material. Depending on the context, U.S. symbols or geographic references (for example, U.S. flags, outlines of U.S. maps, or references to U.S. locations of headquarters or factories) may convey a claim of U.S. origin either by themselves, or in conjunction with other phrases or images.

Example: A company promotes its product in an ad that features a manager describing the "true American quality" of the work produced at the company’s American factory. Although there is no express representation that the company’s product is made in the U.S., the overall — or net — impression the ad is likely to convey to consumers is that the product is of U.S. origin.

Also, I'm sorry if I started out my last post a little on the defensive.  It is just that I felt that my original post was being characterized in a way that I didn't intend it.  If you go back and  re-read it, I didn't say anyone was wrong, I said "not strictly true" and I stand by the statement.  

Try making a product in another country, whatever its name and then shipping it to the U.S. with an American-Made label and it won't get unloaded, that's all I'm saying.  Unless it is truly made in the U.S. or a country that has been given the authority to do so by the FTC.

As I said - my point of view. "Made in USA" can mean "Made in America" too because the USA are part of the American Continent whereas "Made in America" is not the same as Made in the USA - because America are not just the USA.

Thats how I understand this.

So when talking about Made in the USA... When needles, thread and especially sewing machines (with other words main components of the fabrication process) come from foreign countries like Japan, Korea, China or Germany - is the product still  "Made in the USA" to the FTC standards?

Edited by Constabulary

Quoted from above:

"So when talking about Made in the USA... When needles, thread and especially sewing machines (with other words main components of the fabrication process) come from foreign countries like Japan, Korea, China or Germany - is the product still  "Made in the USA" to the FTC standards?"

Here's the answer...

U.S. content must be disclosed on automobiles and textile, wool, and fur products. There’s no law that requires most other products sold in the U.S. to be marked or labeled Made in USA or have any other disclosure about their amount of U.S. content. However, manufacturers and marketers who choose to make claims about the amount of U.S. content in their products must comply with the FTC’s Made in USA policy.

Bear in mind, it is very simple to infer an "origin" without actually using the precise words that would get items into trouble with any country's laws.
Many companies in the USA and elsewhere do this..I know of many leather apparel manufacturers who are not in the USA, who's major customers are USA "brands"..The items are shipped without the country of origin being marked on each item ..it is however on the customs documents. Those brands then promote their "Americaness"..and retail and wholesale the items as American.

This also happens here in France..none of largest of the non "Luxury brands" are selling leather apparel manufactured in France..nor do they say where it is made...But they "hint" at French origin when in fact the origin is "other"..as many USA brands "hint at USA origin, when in fact the origin is "other"..and many German brands "hint" at German origin..Germany has a lot of Turkish leather goods..and some from Poland..and a large amount from "other"..

The same applies to the UK..or just about any country..

"Other" ....It is in fact made in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, North Africa..

That is bad enough..where it gets really bad is when the labels which say "American" or "French" etc are shipped separately, or sourced separately, and then sewn in once the items have passed customs.

Then there is "designed in" ..and hats.

I remember when I was a kid, we used to get really cheap little wind-up toys labelled "Made in USA" - made from recycled beer and soda cans (when they were steel rather than aluminum).  It turns out that Japan had a city named USA, so they could get away with it!  Misleading labeling isn't new!  Even now, we don't think much of stuff that's made in China - but what few know is that a lot of clothing labelled "Made in China" is actually made in North Korea - where labor is even cheaper still!  It's a crazy world.

-  Bill 

The situation is echoed here. There is Ireland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Ulster, Eire, Hibernia, Erin, United Kingdom and Great Britain

I'll not hijack this thread with details, unless I'm asked to

1 hour ago, nstarleather said:

Yikes!  Didn’t mean to make this into a controversial thread.   I too hate when companies falsely signal “made in USA” I’ve seen it in names and with flags...I was more letting OP know that ALD isn’t doing USA production of leather goods.

I personally don’t think their name was meant to mislead...though I do see how it could be misleading if the buyer doesn’t ask the right questions.

Nothing controversial in my opinion.  I offered a differing view and did so respectfully, I thought.  We are rapidly becoming a world where any disagreement is viewed as an attack.  We used to be able to agree to disagree.  Oh well, maybe the pendulum will swing the other way.

@fredk Ah ..gowan..yer know that yer wantin to.. :)

also

( re NK ..back in the 90s a lot of NK stuff was moved / exported through China ..and vice versa* ( *due to "quota" ) probably still is )

Edited by mikesc

Tugadude If you mean me with offended - well I do not feel offended at all, everything is fine. I just gave my point of view and I can accept other points w/o driving nuts - of course! ;)

I realize this topic- which I started, sorry !!- has taken a life of its own, but, just for the record, if you watch the video on the ALD web site, ""About our leather", it clearly states that their leather comes from Mexico.  I'm sure that doesn't 100% close out this topoc, but, it should at least establish that ALD is not being deceptive in their advertising.

Dave Tanner

Tanner Leather Richmond Indiana

(765) 935-3997