Outfitr

Cobra class 26 vs. Cobra class 3

So I've done a little research and it looks like these 2 machine would most likely fit the bill for me. Belts, holsters, sheaths, occasionally a wallet. I actually like hand sewing but belts are a little much. Anyway I'd appreciate any insight as I can't seem to see where these 2 machines differ significantly.

I would give Steve or his staff a call at: Leather Machine Co. Customer Service 7 am to 3:15 pm (PST), Monday thru Friday 866-962-9880

jr

Warning I have leather sewing experience rated in hours not years so.....
If you never plan on running thread heavier than 207 the 26 will work. If you plan on running 207 and 277 you will need the class 3/4 machines. I just bought a class 4 and it is far an wide a heavier machine than a 26. Class 3/4 will run as light as #69 thread with proper set up and adjustment although it can be time consuming to run it that light. it took a while just to drop down to 136. 

I highly recommend calling Steve as mentioned above, I've never met a more helpful group of people in my life. they will be getting a lot more business from for sure

Hard to get details for certain but for holster work I think you'll need the class 3 but as the leather point needles go up from size 23 your threads would need to go 138 or larger. for some wallet work that probably won't work. Class 3 =7/8" thickness possible,threads up to 415. Class 26= 1/2" thickness possible, threads go from 45 to 210. (Should cover most of your stuff I think)  I cant swear by these details but lets see if I got it wrong.

What type of holster are you going to make, (modern) pancake or Western? Based on my limited experience, and the knowledge I've gleaned on here, you might get away with the 26 for pancake holsters but for Western holsters you will need a class 4, minimum thread 277.

I'd like to point out another factor about the Class 3 that isn't obvious. Because this is a 441 clone, it uses very long needles and lifts very high. Out of the box it can sew up to 7/8 inch. So, you say, I don't make holsters that thick. But, do you ever make holsters that need to be sewn elevated above the left end of a machine to clear it? Think holsters with belt tabs sewn on the back, close to the stitch line, or pre-shaped holsters that drop down below the stitch line surface. The 441 machines have optional holster throat plates that are almost 1/2 inch tall. If you install this plate to clear obstacles, there will still be at least 3/8 inch left for leather to be sewn. Not so on the Class 26. There is no raised holster plate for it and insufficient vertical space to allow for the feet to alternate if a raised plate was installed on it.

All of the 441 clones sold by our supporting dealers (Cobra, Cowboy and Techsew) are set up to sew 7/8 inch. Other dealers selling other brands may or may not do so.