medivh25

111w153 odd stitch length issue

First off i wanted to thank everyone for helping me with these old machines this forum is great!

I just got my 111w153 last week timed it all up thanks to Uwes videos. Sews great at 6spi threw pretty much anything I through at it, but I can not get 5 spi no matter what. Now here is the odd part. Testing on paper and turning the hand wheel backwards it will punch perfect holes at 5 spi, forward and its a solid 6, im stumped.  Feed eccentric has been snugged up,everything cleaned and oiled, runs smooth. Pressure feet seem to be moving like they should ect.

G'Day, 

My Seiko is almost the same as yours ( STW 28B, I use single needle) , and it does the very same thing, the reverse stitches are nearly  half the length  than the forward stitches, why ??  :dunno:   I just put up with it . Apart from that ' lil' mystery' ,  it works great ,and  I don't want to mess with it while its working just fine. 

HS

Well I think I have narrowed it down to feed dog timing.  When turning the hand wheel in reverse the middle foot and feed dogs are in sync, when turning the hand wheel forward it seems the feed dogs travel a bit further back in relation to the middle foot and needle, if that makes since. 

The 111w153 has no reverse sewing function - you are aware of that, right? So when machine is threaded and you are tuning the hand wheel backwards wit ill not produce a seam or will lock stitches.

I know it has no reverse :)  I just bye accident noticed when turning the hand wheel backwards (no thread) in reverse it punched hole in my paper @ 5 spi . Same paper, again no thread, it was a perfect 6 spi..in forward....So to summarize, if i turn the hand wheel backwards (no thread, just paper) it will punch 5spi in the paper, and 6spi forward.  

Edited by medivh25

I've tore this thing down probly 6-7 times top and bottom, no matter what I do I still get 6spi.    Im thinking worn parts maby? Timing is good the arrows line up, take up lever at the top, feed dogs all the way forward. Pressure feet have the same lift, and middle foot reaches material at the same time as the needle. Stitch length indicator on 5 does 6spi, stitch indicator on 6 does 6 spi, indicator on 7 does 7 ect,ect .

sews great, just at 6 spi or shorter :( 

I think the timing is indeed off although the marks line up at the proper position. The needle and the feed dogs do not appear to be in sync with each other. looks like the feed dog may be advanced a little in relation to the needle.  Observing the operation on my 211w151 the needle and feed dogs move in perfect unison with each other. On the 111w153 when the needle meets the feed dog it is centered in the hole, as the feed dogs begin to travel back the needle is at the very front ( towards operator ) of the hole. No needle strike but its close.  

20200223_153326_resized.jpg

20200223_153314_resized.jpg

Edited by medivh25
Added pic

To give this post some conclusion ill share what my fixes where.

1) my stich length was off because I had the needle bar rock frame bracket to tight, this was not letting the needle travel freely with the feed dogs

2) I also had a tension problem, after about 10 stitches it would birds nest on bottom and cause a giant mess. I traced this back to my aftermarket tension assembly. The thread was pulling out of the tension disks. I assume the disks in the new unit are inferior to the old. To fix I simply reused the old tension disks on the new assembly.

Now the machine seems to be fine and ive learned a hell of a lot about this 111w153. Thank you all for the help 

Well done, it's always satisfying to work something out yourself, and as you said, just think what you've learned!:)