TaylorM

Ordered my first machine

So I finally pulled the trigger on a Cobra Class 26. This is my first machine ever so I am not so sure on a few things. 

All of the charts I am seeing match up the 69 thread with a size 18 needle. The guy I am buying from recommends using a heavier needle (20-21) with this size and says the 18 is too small and will scratch? He also seemed very hesitant to let me go that light on thread and wants me to try the size 92 with a 21-22 needle. Can anyone speak on this? I will be sewing 2.5-3.5 oz leathers, making wallets and such. 

Any recommendations on where to buy thread for the future?

I see a lot of times that people have a tough go with machines leaving marks on their leather. I know there are things to do to fix that but I've also seen people use different presser foots. Does anyone recommend a different presser foot that I could purchase that would help with this? Does my machine come with a smooth bottom presser foot?

Thanks for helping with a lot of these rookie questions. 

Edited by TaylorM

Have you bought it new from a dealer? If yes, I´m sure he has thread and needles too and may answer all technical questions. Most of your questions I would have asked the dealer before making the purchase.

If you bought is used no one knows what accessories the machine comes with your machine or if the feet are smooth or not.

" says the 18 is too small and will scratch". That's an odd thing to say, scratch what? I've used size 16 with #69 thread with no problems, but 21-22 is way to big. As Tom said the materials being used can also affect the choice of needle.

Sounds like a private sale?

5 hours ago, TaylorM said:

So I finally pulled the trigger on a Cobra Class 26. This is my first machine ever so I am not so sure on a few things. 

All of the charts I am seeing match up the 69 thread with a size 18 needle. The guy I am buying from recommends using a heavier needle (20-21) with this size and says the 18 is too small and will scratch? He also seemed very hesitant to let me go that light on thread and wants me to try the size 92 with a 21-22 needle. Can anyone speak on this? I will be sewing 2.5-3.5 oz leathers, making wallets and such. 

Any recommendations on where to buy thread for the future?

I see a lot of times that people have a tough go with machines leaving marks on their leather. I know there are things to do to fix that but I've also seen people use different presser foots. Does anyone recommend a different presser foot that I could purchase that would help with this? Does my machine come with a smooth bottom presser foot?

Thanks for helping with a lot of these rookie questions. 

I would have to say that for the job your describing here the 18 needle and 69 thread would be fine and the available thread size colours a bigger range as well. If you are doing more thicker and uneven leather layers than going with a bigger needle and thread is recommended as the needle will not deflect as much and give uneven looking back stitching as well as less missed stitches. Congrats on the new machine and I suggest spending a day on practising and getting to know it.

I recently sold a machine to a customer who wanted a fine looking stitch in English bridles & used a #14 with size #69,it looked great! A size 20 will make too big of a hole & won't look nice.If it isn't real thick leather use size16

Congratulations on you purchase!

I am also a rookie when it comes to sewing machines and was totally confused on thread/needle size's. I ran across this resource here on the forum and I highly recommend them www.thethreadexchange.com I have purchased all of my needles and thread from them.

I ordered needles in the sizes that my machine would work with and small spools of thread sizes I would use and experimented with different combinations until I found what worked for me. I sewed lots of scrap pieces until I was comfortable before sewing my project.

I purchased a couple different sets of presser feet from eBay and ground the bottoms smooth and reshaped them  until I was happy. 

Johnny