Rossr

Machinist chest I'm making and my bench

So I got it in my head I needed a machinist chest to store any fancy leather tools I may have and or acquire.  I always liked the looks of the wooden machinist chests. But the price tag oh my.....

So what's the next logical thing ....spend money and a zillion hours making my own.  

So thought I would share here as we all like to see shop pics etc.  I'm pretty happy with the system for the 3d stamps.  My father thought it up.  Real simple just wood with a 45 degree cut out of each side and then felt.   

I'm now trying to figure out the best layout and thinking about fancier stamp holders smh.

I have to add knobs on the drawers too yet!

20200217_160206.jpg

20200217_143700.jpg

20200217_160156.jpg

20200217_161324.jpg

20200217_161334.jpg

20200217_143642.jpg

Wow I really like the chest and 3d stamp storage.  Your shop look very very nice.

You are having WAY too much fun! 

Great looking chest.

God bless

8 minutes ago, Rohn said:

Wow I really like the chest and 3d stamp storage.  Your shop look very very nice.

Thanks!  Bear in mind it's just tidy atm when I got projects going it's not as pretty lol.

I only.plan to store the few expensive 3d stamps I have.  Most are boy scout ones and a few others military etc.  I dont even use 3d stamps much but I do like the storage !   Beats my previous method which was drilling a hole to set the back in, which works but not great imo

4 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

You are having WAY too much fun! 

Great looking chest.

God bless

Lol well yes at times...although there were times I wanted to throw this project out.  Still lots.of issues but overall I should be thrilled considering I never made a machinist chest before!

Thank u

Edited by Rossr

After seeing that chest, I now know why a good chest cost so much. Great job. The use of the different wood really sets it off.

Beaver, Bear and Owl Woodbadge 3D stamps.  Very rare to see nowadays.  If you ever wanna let them go, contact me please. 

1 hour ago, Albob said:

After seeing that chest, I now know why a good chest cost so much. Great job. The use of the different wood really sets it off.

I've been saving some of that wood a long time for something special thanks for noticing.  

23 minutes ago, resqman said:

Beaver, Bear and Owl Woodbadge 3D stamps.  Very rare to see nowadays.  If you ever wanna let them go, contact me please. 

Rare and silly pricy on ebay when they occasionally show up.  If I ever decide to part with them I'll contact ya.  I really want the rest but as you kn ow hard to find. I took woodbadge and served as staff for a course.  So I'd like to have the rest to make up little gifts etc for folks. 

Very nice! Beautiful woodworking. Like your stained glass window also. My father used to make and repair stained glass windows.

Like all of your work I've seen it is well thought out and well executed.  What's not to love?

10 hours ago, corkscrew said:

Very nice! Beautiful woodworking. Like your stained glass window also. My father used to make and repair stained glass windows.

Thanks!  The syein glass was a auction impulse buy but it looks nice there.  I imagine there is a lot of work in making nice stain glass!

10 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Like all of your work I've seen it is well thought out and well executed.  What's not to love?

Just me being a perfectionist thanks for the kind words

7 minutes ago, dikman said:

What's the little lathe on the left?

That's a craftsman model 109.21270 1949.  I recently got it.  I dont know much about it bit they were sold as hobby lathes and at beat I suspect can do light cuts. But will be fun to play with I suspect 

That my friend is not a machinist's chest.  That is a fine piece of art!  Most folks don't have something that nice to put their jewelry in, let alone some leather stamps!  That is fantastic!

YinTx

6 hours ago, YinTx said:

That my friend is not a machinist's chest.  That is a fine piece of art!  Most folks don't have something that nice to put their jewelry in, let alone some leather stamps!  That is fantastic!

YinTx

Thank you sir.  

9 hours ago, Rossr said:

That's a craftsman model 109.21270 1949.  I recently got it.  I dont know much about it bit they were sold as hobby lathes and at beat I suspect can do light cuts. But will be fun to play with I suspect 

I'm thinking that you can use that lathe if you were ever to want to fashion your own ink pens.  Or handles for tools, awl hafts, etc.  Nothing too heavy.  As with everything, it probably is as much about the cutting tool as it is about the lathe.

13 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I'm thinking that you can use that lathe if you were ever to want to fashion your own ink pens.  Or handles for tools, awl hafts, etc.  Nothing too heavy.  As with everything, it probably is as much about the cutting tool as it is about the lathe.

Oh I suspect there are lots.of small projects that could be done j have a bench top wood lathe too that will suit those needs as well.    I might have a tool.problem....nahhh

I'm interested in the tool rack. Did you make that one too?

I've been trying to make a not so fancy rack myself, but finding wood has been a nightmare. I was thinking of getting an 8x4 abour 12 inches long and just drill holes on it, but the hardware stores won't cut it and won't sell me anything less than the whole log.

That lathe should be quite useful. I have a "medium" sized metal lathe (I'm sometimes surprised how useful it is!) and bought one of those generic Chinese "mini" lathes off ebay. A small lathe is a very handy tool.

14 hours ago, Hardrada said:

I'm interested in the tool rack. Did you make that one too?

I've been trying to make a not so fancy rack myself, but finding wood has been a nightmare. I was thinking of getting an 8x4 abour 12 inches long and just drill holes on it, but the hardware stores won't cut it and won't sell me anything less than the whole log.

I had gotten these racks with a buyout of tools but they were made by someone.  They used a basic 2x4 drilled holes through it.  The attached a 3/4 thick board to the bottom.    I did make the angled part they sit on.   Pretty simple.  You can obviously buy racks too 

A simple hand saw and a hand held drill and you could make these up . Not the prettiest thing but functional

20200220_102233.jpg

20200220_102215.jpg

Beautiful job on the chest!

Knobs are added.  These were made by a local gent who makes the cutters that did the fancy pattern on each one.  They are made of buffalo horn and the reflection off them is just awesome..  looks like a moving figure 8.  So pleased with the knobs they make the whole project imo.

20200312_161728.jpg

20200312_161737.jpg

20200312_161700.jpg

20200312_171237.jpg

20200221_153127.jpg

20200312_171220.jpg

20200312_171231.jpg

I have enjoyed this post. Really nice cabinet and those drawer knobs are beautiful.

10 hours ago, Rohn said:

I have enjoyed this post. Really nice cabinet and those drawer knobs are beautiful.

Thanks Rohn.   Now I just have to fill.it 

That chest is really nice, I have a cheap one that came from a friend of mine and I really like it. That chest is awesome and a great place for all those leather working tools.