superpacker

First Holster Template (Sig 1911)

Looking to make my first holster - made lots of belts, wallets and other items so I think I’m up for the challenge. Not looking to do a wet mold or concealed carry type holster. Looking to do something super classic, maybe western style holster (Mexican loop?) if that makes sense. The gun is a Sig Scorpion 1911.

Any recommendations on a place to look for a template?

Edited by superpacker

If you have done belts and wallets, . . . you should be up to doing your own pattern.  If not there are several tutorials on here to help you.

THEN, . . . do a Google search:  image:  1911 holster

You can go blind on there looking at the alternatives, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Check out this thread - it appears to be what you are looking for...

Thanks - I’ll check that thread out because that looks exactly what I’m looking for. Do I need to have the gun present to make the holster? It’s for a friend and he (and his gun) live far away. Another reason why I can’t make my own template 

Edited by superpacker

Hey SuperPacker,

Sig 1911's are known for having slightly different slide profiles than other manufacturers, but for the type of holster you're looking to build it won't matter. So, if you have any 1911 you should be good to use it to make your pattern. Or, if you don't have a 1911 of your own you can have your friend trace his and send you the tracing to use to make your pattern. I have done that a fair amount with good success each time. And another option, if you didn't want to design your own pattern is that you could buy Will Ghormley's excellent 1911 holster pattern pack. It's available here "http://www.willghormley-maker.com/OWC2.html".

Good luck with your holster!

Josh