lintonleather

I Started A Leather Craft Youtube Channel

I have been wanting to give back to the community for a while and have been tempted to record a number of videos helping others learn the craft. ( I am by no means an expert!) After many months of debating if I should do it, I thought why the hell not? So I have just launched the first video on my Youtube channel eeek!!! The first video is a build along with style, with a link to the free PDF pattern. 

I would love to get your guys thoughts on the video. 

A good general effort but I would think that anyone who has a fortuna skiver, hotfoil machine, heated creasers etc etc has already reached this stage. If I wanted to produce teaching videos I would do a search for the questions asked most often on the search engines re leatherworking and also the not so common like design or how to shrink or enlarge patterns etc.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

A good general effort but I would think that anyone who has a fortuna skiver, hotfoil machine, heated creasers etc etc has already reached this stage. If I wanted to produce teaching videos I would do a search for the questions asked most often on the search engines re leatherworking and also the not so common like design or how to shrink or enlarge patterns etc.

Thanks for the feedback, is there a specific topic you would like to see me cover? 

Yes, I do own a Fortuna, hot foil and a creaser but that doesn't mean that there aren't other ways of completing these tasks. I used these tools because I have them at my disposal, however I am aware that others most likely won't have them. I am assuming that people will know how to skive an edge manually or how to crease using a manual edge crease. These videos are not designed to be a full guide on "How to become a skilled leathercrafter " they are however designed to inspire people to try new things hopefully learn something along the way.   

To me it was a demonstration, not really instructional.  As was said above, it might have limited value to the audience you are targeting.  I like that you tried to add some information on the screen with graphics, but to me, why not just speak?  I get bored pretty quickly when there is no sound or just background music.  I want to hear the maker telling me why he/she is doing what they are doing.  In the beginning, you use a skiver but don't really explain the purpose.  Beginners don't understand why that might be advantageous.

So decide what you want it to be, a primer, where specific skills can be learned or simply showing the process with little explanation.  That's what I got out of it.

Nice work, by the way!

25 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

To me it was a demonstration, not really instructional.  As was said above, it might have limited value to the audience you are targeting.  I like that you tried to add some information on the screen with graphics, but to me, why not just speak?  I get bored pretty quickly when there is no sound or just background music.  I want to hear the maker telling me why he/she is doing what they are doing.  In the beginning, you use a skiver but don't really explain the purpose.  Beginners don't understand why that might be advantageous.

So decide what you want it to be, a primer, where specific skills can be learned or simply showing the process with little explanation.  That's what I got out of it.

Nice work, by the way!

Thank you I was torn between talking over the video and explaining each step or letting people view the video and learn from watching. I felt like It might be a bit too much information to talk over each step and I would be overwhelming the audience. I'm unsure if I will follow the same process on the next video or if I try and explain each step to the viewer. 

Thank you :) 

We really only learn by doing.  You are to be commended for jumping and in adding content that you desire to be helpful.  You are also to be commended for asking for feedback.  That is a sign of humility and I appreciate it!

1 minute ago, Tugadude said:

We really only learn by doing.  You are to be commended for jumping and in adding content that you desire to be helpful.  You are also to be commended for asking for feedback.  That is a sign of humility and I appreciate it!

Thank you that means a lot. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts. Now onto making a watch strap Video :)

I enjoyed the video, and agree that it was more entertainment than instructional. I'm not new to leather, but my skills are pretty basic; I just learned about creasers a couple weeks ago. Had no idea what the Fortuno thingy was, and the names you put up for pretty much everything else didn't give an indication to what it was. Nice that you showed how to lock the thread on the needle. I hope you don't think I'm being overly critical. 

You are in the right place for constructive critique here at LW.net...you should receive good direction and encouragement for your efforts herein (at least I've seen that to be the case nearly all the time). There are a few that believe most teaching videos on the leather-working craft are nothing more that bits of self-promotion released as a means of validation for the creator...and no real good can come from watching any of them. I'm not one of those people. I learn as much by watching (taking mental and written notes for later use at the bench) as I do by actually doing...I can completely "scrub out" the unnecessary garble of a video  and focus in on what's being done. Other folks' have a different "take away" to this medium...fine and dandy.

As to your video...nice bell skiver!...and I appreciate that you've shown your edge treatment of that chrome tanned step-by-step, including the equipment and all materials used. I know its likely been covered on this forum ad nauseam...but having a video showing the process is not a bad thing either.

i liked it! talking through the steps might be something to consider. someone who is just lurking and wondering if they want to get into this craft might want to know what you're doing and why. i like to know what size thread is being used. someone NOT in the craft might want to know what the bell knife is, what it does and why you're using it. 

loved the "cinematography", the low key music and the overall "mood" of the video. yeah....you need to make more. love that skiving knife!

I enjoyed your video.. if you are not going to talk then add some Jazz or Blues. 

I am one of the persons that would be learning from it.

I do have a suggestion..  Please redo this video, and use only the tools a person who is learning would have.

a knife, straight edge, and a wood burnishing tool

Thank you.  Looking forward to future Videos

If you have a look at J H Leather video you will find she hits the right spot in describing what and why she is doing something and comes across very professionally as a teacher https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcsJvB1ntSJd4AjLSTOBHCA

Very good initiative!

to be continued.

Sorry @Tugadude did not wish to belittle your video, rather just a suggestion of a style you could adapt that works well, my post just came out the wrong way

8 hours ago, chrisash said:

Sorry @Tugadude did not wish to belittle your video, rather just a suggestion of a style you could adapt that works well, my post just came out the wrong way

I think you meant someone else as I have no video.

OOp's it should have been @lintonleather  sorry about that, My brain cells don't seem to have been working very well yesterday, no rephrase that, the last few years, must be old age

i also commend you for the willing ness to take your time and make videos but did you google how many already exist?

My suggestion is to google the topic you are thinking about before committing time and energy to something that may have been already covered ad nauseum. You tube is a fantastic learning resource imo but its become so overwhelming that a guy could almost watch leather videos on wallets, phone cases and beginner type doo dads for the rest of his natural life with little or no new info in any of them. If you are putting out new and previously unknown processes them by all means you wisdom will be helpful to many many folks. Good luck my friend in all your endeavors.

Your video was nice. It seemed well crafted.

however, 
I think that you could go a step further and explain what you are actually doing, and why.

leather workers that already have equipment like you are showing, are at or beyond your level of skills.

someone as a beginner, would have no idea about what you’re doing in your edging process, with the electric edge finisher.

if you want to be successful and help people learn, you need to ‘teach’  what you are doing.

I wish you the best of luck. I like YouTube leather making videos

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

Just in case anyone is wondering, the poster doesn't seem to be actively producing Youtube videos anymore.  The newest is now about 2 years old.  

7 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Just in case anyone is wondering, the poster doesn't seem to be actively producing Youtube videos anymore.  The newest is now about 2 years old.  

i never noticed the date  but wonder why it popped up if no one commented recently, could be someone I cant see I guess. oh well!

Good question.  Perhaps a posting was deleted?  In any event, in my opinion unless someone has something really unique to share, there's enough youtube channels already.  Some exist to hopefully help them sell product and then there's some strictly educational ones.  And there are still more that are just interesting and I'm sure folks watch who never intend to do any leatherwork themselves.  Many exist in order to generate income from views, subscribers and clicks to retail sites. 

We live in an interesting time.

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Good question.  Perhaps a posting was deleted?  In any event, in my opinion unless someone has something really unique to share, there's enough youtube channels already.  Some exist to hopefully help them sell product and then there's some strictly educational ones.  And there are still more that are just interesting and I'm sure folks watch who never intend to do any leatherwork themselves.  Many exist in order to generate income from views, subscribers and clicks to retail sites. 

We live in an interesting time.

yes my son is a youtuber two years into it  and only about 160 followers he is planning on becoming rich and famous.

Well I'm not planning on becoming rich and famous - hopefully I've managed to turn off ads once and for all  - but YouTube is a great platform for showing videos of my dog to her breeder and various friends. So I see no reason for YouTube-bashing...

I don't see any youtube bashing going on here.  I spend a good portion of each day checking up on channels I follow, most of which are non-leather related.  But some are.  I think Chuck was poking fun more at his son than the medium itself.  

You may be right, I was thinking of the bashing in another forum... Actually, two of them (both German...)