HondoMan

Osborne Splitter - Centering blade

Good evening folks,

near on 4-5 years ago,  I bought the Osborne 84 splitter.  Works an absolute dream when sharp and polished.

Issue:  Centering the bloody blade.  I polish the blade roughly 2-3 times a month - sometimes more depending on the amount of use.  I dread it each time.  I tend to do it on a Sunday as I need quiet and time to get the blade aligned atop the roller.  At the apex.  Does anyone have a trick for this alignment?  I don't mind going through a piece of rest leather to ensure it's straight and aligned, but there have been times when I've gone through several pieces of leather before the bloody thing is straight.

I'd like to hope that after near on 100 years of this tool's existence, there'd be a wee trick to line the blade up quickly and correctly.

Looking forward to the replies.

Cheers!

Hey, Hondo, . . . we have the same problem, . . . mine is just the Tandy version.

Quite honestly, . . . God has blessed me with a very good set of eyes for 75 yrs old, . . . and a very good sense of balance when looking at something.

I look straight down on mine, . . . looking to see it is absolutely centered on the roller, . . . check both ends as well.  Usually, I'll lock down the end that looks the best, . . . then fiddle with the other end.

Course, . . . I don't polish mine as much as you do, . . . probably don't use it as much.

Tell you what, . . . take a picture of the top, . . . as close as you can get to it with your camera, . . . showing all the top you can, . . . then a closeup of one end.  Maybe there is something we can see there.

May God bless,

Dwight