Brownie1

Singer 7-33R (good or bad)

(Singer 7-33R) Came across this machine for sale what do you think of the price tag $1600? Even though they say it functions well how hard is it to get parts?

$_59-1.JPG

Edited by Brownie1

You can get parts from Seiko or Consew that should in most cases fit.  No parts from Singer.

Thanks shoe patcher, what does everyone think of the price? :o

40 minutes ago, Brownie1 said:

Used leather sewing machines seem to sell for more money in Canada than in the USA. If you can use and afford the machine, and it sews as designed, and it comes with some bobbins and needles, it is a good deal. OTOH, if it needs parts or professional servicing, it's likely overpriced. Make sure it will serve your needs and doesn't need obsolete parts.

Like anything, it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay. I'm not familiar with those machines, but for something that old it seems like a lot to me. If you particularly want it, then buy it, me, I wouldn't. I once came across a similar harness machine (Adler, I think?) head only and the guy wanted about $700. It was old, knocked about and needed a bit of work, which I pointed out. He wouldn't budge on price so I walked, I suspect he still has it.

Question is what do you want to sew with it?

The Army used these machine for sewing parachute harness and things like that. They are great for sewing heavy webbing materials of maybe heavy tent materials. I once owned of of these beasts (different subclass) and for me it was way to large / to heavy. Its was a cool machines and big machines are always tempting but if they do not suit your needs better don´t buy them.

7 hours ago, Brownie1 said:

1600-$ price is not on the high side for class-7 set-up . they pop-up around here once in while .I never see them below 1500-$ on a table & motor, and go up to 2500-$ on decent table set-up .

Pretty over kill for what you want to do . And what 'constabulary' say's, they take up a lot of room (big table) and they are Big, not the machine Head you can just pick-up and throw around all by yourself . But they are a powerhouse for punching thread cord , I have sewn Para-harness container systems with class-7 and there about the only machine out there that can do the required 8-point stitch on the thick stack of webbing and confluence wrap doing the main lift of the harness .

Edited by nylonRigging

That is a great machine I used one for years sewing leather. The machine I had was updated with reserve. I miss that old machine, learned a lot about sewing machines having used 7-34 for years.  Upgraded years later to a CB-4500. 

IMG_1033.jpg

Definitely overkill for what I want to do for now, and yes don't really have the space. Factoring in just those 2 things I just mentioned, the $1600.00 price tag is too high. Now if the person wanted to sell it too me cheap maybe my wife wouldn't mind it in the bedroom :P. Thanks for the input guys. Check out this other machine that's up for sale as well Singer 47K5 for $750.00.

page1image24618752.png

Edited by Brownie1
Add pic

Now that is an interesting looking machine, appears to have some sort of home-made fitting on the left?

Thanks JJN, the big question is do you buy the machine and set it up and keep it for big jobs. Really not sure what you would use the machine for. I have done some reading that it was possible used for canvas tarps and ropes. Not sure why or how they would sew ropes together.

Yes I agree I could watch that video all day as well. Makes me want to go buy a class 7 LOL

If that class 7 in the OP has reverse (labeled 7-33r would say it does and it looks like it does) it may also have high lift added. Either with or without hi lift $1600 with reverse is very fair.  I have 2 and wish I'd been able to get one with reverse.