mikeulator

Portable Organization/Storage

Hi folks,  sort of new to the forum, I was just picking up tips and stuff without an account before.  I can't seem to find any posts about good, portable options for organization.  I don't have a lot of stuff because I've only just dabbled but I do have a several tools and bottles of dyes and paints.  I live in a condo so I don't have a workshop but I'm trying to find a better way to keep my stuff other than a bag or a box.  I've been looking at art bins/tackle boxes but none of them seem like they'll be big enough.  Maybe finding just one to fit all my stuff is unrealistic, though.  Just curious what other folks do for mobile options.  I want to be able to just keep it in the closet, out of the way, and pull it out when I want to work on something and have it be self contained and easy to just open up and work out of (which is why I like cantilever style options).  A couple of options I'm looking at are Plano Molding 1363 Stow N Go and the ArtBin 6893AG 3 Tray Art Supply Box.  Amazon also ended up suggest a "train case" which I didn't even know what that was at first.  Despite most being marketed for makeup, they look like they could work, too.

Thoughts?

A garage mechanics type tool box unit like this

1418696791_toolbox01s.jpg.017af42985d833c8cfd8e8657e3ad64e.jpg

Although I have plenty of storage space I have two of these units. One has all my 3D and letter stamps in the drawers and boxes of conchos & bag fittings in the lower cupboard. In the other I keep my sewing and riveting hardware

Fredk beat me to it!

I  live in a rented flat and do my leatherwork and other hobbies in the spare room, but I can't install anything permanent

I use a mechanics/engineers tool chest. It is fitted with castors so is moveable, though in practice it stays in one place.

The drawers are used for tools - knives, awls, edge bevellers, needles & thread and so on. There are a couple of hooks on the side which were intended for saws but I use them for rulers, squares, and straight edges

The bottom cabinet is used for liquids - dyes, finishes etc. When and if the cabinet gets too full I'll also use a plastic storage box which is water proof to prevent any spills & leaks onto the carpet

Thanks folks!  Those are definitely more than I need right now, both price and size, but they sound quite useful.  Anything you've used that can be carried around instead of wheeled around?

53 minutes ago, mikeulator said:

Thanks folks!  Those are definitely more than I need right now, both price and size, but they sound quite useful.  Anything you've used that can be carried around instead of wheeled around?

Yes, just a typical plastic toolbox, probably with a lift out tray. Shop around for the size you want. You could get 2 or 3 of them  - one for cutting & measuring; one for sewing; one for liquids, or however you want to organise your kit. But if you're just starting one might be enough, then you can add or expand as you need it

You mention the cost, so see what you can do without spending more than you have to.--

Another post recently asked about storing thread. I replied that a local supermarket sells 1 kg potato salad in decent plastic tubs. I wash them out and use them to organise & store my thread  - for synthetic, linen, different colours, and so on

My local greengrocer gets soft fruit & veg like tomatoes supplied in hard plastic trays. They're supposed to be re-useable and returnable but if you ask nicely they will usually let you have a couple. I use them for storing small pieces of wood for making knife handles

I wash out old margarine tubs and store my model aeroplane paints in them, sorting them into RAF, USAF, standard colours, and so on

So, not all about leather, but you get the idea, just use your imagination

Search YouTube for 'leather workshop tour' there are several videos. I think they are all for permanent installations, but they will give you some ideas

You can, of course, get custom and adaptable tool cases and instrument cases, but they tend to be expensive

Since you're doing leatherwork, you can make your own cases and tool rolls for thinks like  awls, edgers, & knives

Edited by zuludog

The top part of the unit is separate. It can be bought in 2, 3, 4 5 & 6 drawer sizes. The 6 is 4 uneven shallow drawers and two large ones, each half the width of the whol and each about 2.5 inches deep. With a top handle they can be carried around, but once loaded with tools they start to get heavy.

Have you looked at kitchen trollies? I have 4 on which I store on-going projects and the necessaries.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8400444

Edited by fredk

This style tool box is an excellent option, as it allows for safe organization as your supplies grow. I have found great deals (at garage sales) on just such boxes. Buying a top section for $5, a bottom section w/ tools for $25, and a combo for $10). As long as you purchase one for a decent price you can always sell it if needed. Good luck.

Edited by AwlShucks

Hope the OP found what they were looking for. Wish they would post what the solution was :popcorn:.

I am also in predicament:) I don’t have he most elegant or convenient storage but since I have to move stuff whenever I want to work on it (bedroom, common room, different houses when dog sitting) it lets me take just what I need on the go.

I have three of Stanley organizer tool boxes that clip onto each other for keeping smaller stuff organized.

One holds the tools I need in every project. Knives, Japanese skiver, a couple bevelers, beeswax, scratch awl, etc. The second holds my stamps, handles, swivel knife, small thread spools, stuff like that. The third holds my large hardware. Think brass key rings and clips, D-rings, some buckles, etc.
I turned an ikea bookcase into storage for craft books, spools of thread, dye, finished products. A cheap plastic rolling cart holds patterns, large scrap leather, and works in progress. Leather is rolled under my bed or against the wall.

I wonder if one of these would be a solution for some folks that need portable storage and don't have massive amounts of tools to keep organized.  $20.00 at Harbor Freight ain't bad.

19 in. Tool Tote with 14 Pockets 61470 alternate photo #2

My wife found a Keter 16" cantilever toolbox at the thrift store.  Works great for most of my tools.  One compartment holds punches, irons and swivel knife.  Another compartment holds most of my tooling stuff.  Threads go in another.  Tandy hefty handle goes in a forth, along with a couple of stamps that fit it.  Up top, I have space for handle, groover, beveler, rawhide hammer, pocket knife, needles, rivets, snaps & buckles.  All my finishing stuff - dyes, daubers, etc, goes in a separate bag.  My 30-oz mallet, poundo board, punching board and a slap of soapstone just sit on top of the toolbox.  When I am ready to work on a piece, I cut and put the cutting stuff away.  The poundo board goes down, and the soapstone goes on top.  The the toolbox gets opened, I do the tooling I need to do.  Then I put the punch board on, punch, sew, and put it all away before the finishing bag comes out. While I am very new to leather work, it seems to work for me.  My tool collection is still small enough that I can hold all my tools in one hand.  When I need to find one, I grab the whole lot, look at the heads, and pull out the 3-6 I actually need for the project I am working on, and put the rest back.  I am sure, though, I will want to separate them out into more organized storage in the not too distant future.

I am currently using this Plano Tackle Box:

https://www.planomolding.com/fishing/fish-series/guide-series/guide-series-stowaway-rack-system

In the top section, I can keep all my larger tools like wing divider, square, mallet/hammers, a small cutting board, and knife.  Still have plenty of room up there.  The removable trays are all set up for different steps.  One has all my sewing things, another all the stamping & tooling items.  Another for all my rivets, snaps,  gommets, and various setters.  The only thing I can't keep in it are bottles of dye, and my tooling slab.  (Though if you are using a little 6"x6", you could fit it as well)

Wow, Grumpymann!  That is a great find!  Now I have to decide... more tools or new tool box.  :P

This is the Keter I mentioned.  Holds most of my tooling and sewing supplies.  Does not hold my stone, stains, airbrushes, stitching pony, or lace, but, holds stamps, needles, one mallet, knives, most thread, and other basic tools.  My mauls don't fit in much of anything, so, they just stay separate.  Same for stone and punch block.

20210826_110346.jpg

20210826_112156.jpg

The Bucket Boss for your pail may be a good option. Garage sales are my friend. 

That is cheap at £14.99. But a leather one would be nice but very much more expensive. A leather crafter could knock one up over a weekend

I started out using a cantilever tool box but soon out grew it. I got it in a discount sale in B&Q for all of £5. I still have it. I haven't used it in a while. I store spare tools in it afair

On 1/3/2021 at 3:10 PM, Grumpymann said:

This!

I have one by where I get dressed to hold my pocket knives and watches. I've seen other people use them for leatherworking and other tools. They're so cool I've bought several as gifts.